HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2013, 06:21 PM
Canada, AB
Joined Jun 2011
183 Posts
Discussion
Building an ARF question

So I'm gonna start building my Hangar 9 Twist 40. For the horizontal and vertical stabilizers it says to use 30 min epoxy. On my 41 edge 540 I just had to put them where I wanted them and run thin ca into the slot. It seems a lot easier and cleaner. Can I do the same on my Twist?
mxz1998 is offline Find More Posts by mxz1998
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2013, 07:44 PM
United States, NC, Faison
Joined Jan 2011
687 Posts
I would use the epoxy. Thin CA will not fill any gaps and I had one of these planes. I use epoxy. All you have to do is goop it on and use alcohal to wipe it off while it is still plyible
rjstrickjr is offline Find More Posts by rjstrickjr
Old Apr 19, 2013, 08:29 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,431 Posts
And if you add one drop of Testor's Plastic Enamel to the epoxy (to match your color), you will never see it if you miss some glob or two while wiping it off.
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 19, 2013, 08:55 PM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,224 Posts
Use the epoxy
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Apr 19, 2013, 08:58 PM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,505 Posts
The CA will hold. But I would go for the Epoxy because when you put it in. You still have time to work with it if you need to adjust. The Biggest one is the Horizontal stab. Epoxy is clean if you don't over do it.
Dale 813 is offline Find More Posts by Dale 813
Old Apr 19, 2013, 09:04 PM
Joined Feb 2013
42 Posts
Always epoxy when gluing your stabilizers on!
sawitup is offline Find More Posts by sawitup
Old Apr 19, 2013, 09:20 PM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,436 Posts
Another reason for epoxy is simplicity of repair if the stab needs to come off for repair. Heat gun will soften epoxy and allow removal.
AA5BY is offline Find More Posts by AA5BY
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 19, 2013, 10:10 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxz1998 View Post
So I'm gonna start building my Hangar 9 Twist 40. For the horizontal and vertical stabilizers it says to use 30 min epoxy. On my 41 edge 540 I just had to put them where I wanted them and run thin ca into the slot. It seems a lot easier and cleaner. Can I do the same on my Twist?
Seeping epoxy is alot easier to clean off then runny thin CA... in any and every case. If you've not epoxied before.. it would be a good idea to practice on a few things... and see how it works.. as it is the best way to go on any stab/wing/firewall type application. Its very easy really.. and with a bit of practice is undetectable except for the nice even fillet/bead it should leave where the bonded surfaces connect. If you need a quick clean-up.. as someone said.. just use alcohol on a paper towel.. rubbing alcohol works fine for cleaning a bit of epoxy off.

I use popsicle type sticks found at WallyWorld or Michaels.. I've found that style stick is perfect for laying it down and around.. and general mixing. By practicing though, you'll find a system that works for you... you can't go wrong with practice..

You can even thin epoxy to brushing consistency with denatured-alcohol.. which is done regularly on firewalls for fuel-proofing.. it creates a great barrier and keeps any oil off the firewall.. it seals it very well.. and probably adds a touch of strength.. at least on the surface for sure.
Use 30min though, and try to clamp things where you can.. installing one component at a time.. with wings attached..so-as to align your horizontal stab correctly.

I don't know that I agree with the "easy to remove" theory though.. In my experience once somethings installed.. it would take a blaze of heat to remove... and its more of a permiation issue.. as 30min does penetrate and when applied liberally(as I think it should).. it goes way too deep to be able to "heat" and release.. thats just me though.. its all good... I don't put them on to be taken off in that fashion... and thats never been a deciding factor for my glue choices... but... to each his own.
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Last edited by DGrant; Apr 19, 2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 11:28 PM
Joined Feb 2013
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA5BY View Post
Another reason for epoxy is simplicity of repair if the stab needs to come off for repair. Heat gun will soften epoxy and allow removal.
THAT I didn't know! I'll check that out
sawitup is offline Find More Posts by sawitup
Old Apr 19, 2013, 11:46 PM
Canada, AB
Joined Jun 2011
183 Posts
Thanks for all the replies! Epoxy it is! Hopefully I can find some 30 minute stuff tommorow and start building!
Old Apr 19, 2013, 11:54 PM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,561 Posts
don't think it can be over said! yes follow that smart Mexicans instructions,"manwell"

when in dought use epoxy, and just be overly carefull when cutting the covering back!

your gonna need some epoxy anyway, need ta thin some down and paint the firewall and fuel tank area with some thinned epoxy!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig Mustang 450
Old Apr 20, 2013, 12:38 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,318 Posts
For cutting covering back.... don't cut it... use a soldering iron just touching it lightly where you want it cut/seperated. That will seperate it perfectly and let you just peel it.
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Apr 21, 2013, 12:49 AM
Canada, AB
Joined Jun 2011
183 Posts
Ok guys, new problem. No 30 minute epoxy within 3 hours driving distance. I have 5 minute epoxy and thin and med CA. What should I use?
Old Apr 21, 2013, 03:00 AM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,431 Posts
Do you have a hardware store near you? IF not, I guess you will have to work fast and use 5 minute epoxy....just dry fit it and practice putting it in place before you actually glue it.
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 21, 2013, 07:31 AM
Wilson NC 27896
Joined Apr 2009
764 Posts
Just use carpenters yellow or white glue if you cant get epoxy. If the tail comes apart after glueing it together with that, there were other problems....Gene

PS, to answer your original question, yes you can just use CA on the tail assembly. Both of my Twist .40s were put together with CA only and they have lasted several years now. I fly them very hard too.....Gene
gene6029 is offline Find More Posts by gene6029