SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:06 PM
Who dares, wins
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Jun 2012
714 Posts
Help!
How do you teach a 4 year old to fly?

My mom wants to start flying, and is getting an HZ Champ. I just got my wings at the local club in the summer, and have never taught anyone how to fly before. Can I have some help? What should I expect? She also wants me to teach my 4 year old brother to fly. I put him on the sim, but all that he did was try to crash. My mom says that it's ok, and its just a sim, but I am worried that he is getting bad habits? HELP!
addictedtoplanes is offline Find More Posts by addictedtoplanes
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:36 PM
Canada, MB, Oakbank
Joined Dec 2004
690 Posts
I don't really have a definate answer for you, nor have I ever been in that situation. But, after reading your post, mainly the one about your brother on the sim trying to crash, this is what I had thought. Take it for what it is, but just may help.

Firstly do you have any basic building supplies, glue knife, etc? If so, you may wanna try this, depending on your brother. Meaning, attention and listening is good. Try printing out a simple airplane plan that may use 1-2 sheets of DollarTree foam or FFF. Trace out the parts, cut them out, and build the plane, with your brother. This may help encourage him to not try crashing for fun if he realizes what is all involved and such. Even if you have to cut out a 'kit' before, then just do the build with him. It would be a great learning curve, keep the two of you busy together as well as teaching responsibility. Let him have at it for decoration and he will have something to be proud of. Even if it is not going to be in the air right away, it may help.

As for teaching flying, get out the Champ, get it up a bit, then give him a try, but just be ready to grab the remote in case.

Just my $0.02
NEW222 is offline Find More Posts by NEW222
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:25 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2012
29 Posts
It depends if were talking a little micro just keep spare props and let him go wild in the backyard or something, give him tips here and there don't pressure him into doing it "your way" that'll simply turn him off. Don't expect him to do coordinated rolls, loops or even scale flight at 4 years old. I would never give him something bigger than a micro, again never give a 4 year old something that can be used as a missile!

As far as mom just have her practice on take offs, landings and maybe slow passes buy a couple of those micros planes and work her into a bigger trainer maybe?
LatinP is offline Find More Posts by LatinP
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:29 PM
Canada, BC, Port Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2012
1,225 Posts
Unless that 4 year old is an RC prodigy, I wouldn't even think of teaching him how to fly.
easyrider604 is offline Find More Posts by easyrider604
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:43 PM
hjukhjuk
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,066 Posts
Don't waste the time trying to teach your brother to fly.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:53 PM
JKasprak
Fayetteville, NC 28304
Joined Jan 2010
857 Posts
I have a 4-yr old son and I wouldn't attempt to try and teach him as his attention span is too short. He like to watch - sometimes - like to kick a ball - sometimes - likes to swing - sometimes - watch TV - sometimes. He's just being a child. The simulator is safe for him as he like to bang the sticks and push the reset button - sometimes!

John
propchief is offline Find More Posts by propchief
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:59 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1,225 Posts
Not saying your kid brother cannot learn to fly rc.

Teaching two thumbs is easier than learning to use all ten fingers and one foot, which is what Mozart did at three years.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:03 PM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider604 View Post
Unless that 4 year old is an RC prodigy, I wouldn't even think of teaching him how to fly.
Get him a foam chuck glider like a Multiplex Fox. Around $20 and easy to repair...
wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:38 AM
USA, MO, Ozark
Joined Nov 2006
1,513 Posts
good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard of odd View Post
Get him a foam chuck glider like a Multiplex Fox. Around $20 and easy to repair...
Giving him a chuck glider will do nicely as it will make him feel included. However he has not aquired the developmental ability to understand how to fly or have the coordination. That usually occurs around age 10 give or take a year.
ozmo01 is offline Find More Posts by ozmo01
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:32 AM
Joined Apr 2012
1,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard of odd View Post
Quote:
Giving him a chuck glider will do nicely as it will make him feel included. However he has not aquired the developmental ability to understand how to fly or have the coordination. That usually occurs around age 10 give or take a year.
I agree. In fact this is exactly how I started playing with balsa airplanes, after the paper airplane phase.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:12 AM
Not always grumpy!!
UK, Eastleigh, Eastleigh
Joined Jul 2010
598 Posts
if your mum, really wants him to fly, then as some one else has mentioned, buy him a micro. something small, and light. that can be bashed arround and will take the punishment. that way he can learn on his own, at no risk to any one.

i bought the missus boy a little micro with 2 props, in pusher config, that used the motors to turn and climb, (cant remember the exact term for it)
but with both motors running at full speed, it climbed, when he went to turn left to right motor speed up, or the left motor slowed down, (depending on weather it was already at full power or not)

as for your mum, get a trainer cable to connect your controller to hers, that way, if she gets in trouble, your commands should over write hers, and keep the plane in the air.

but, i would try and show your brother how to fly the little micro, and aid him in the first few mins flight, then leave him to it (attended of course) if he crashes and finds it funny, then leave him to it, as he will have to learn how to get it back in the air, and flying, before he can crash it again.

its called cause and effect, and every kid learns this way.
insomaniac45 is offline Find More Posts by insomaniac45
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: This pilot is Grounded :(
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:26 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,742 Posts
It's like learning to read. A kid is completely incapable of even the concept of changing all those strange marks into words until his brain is ready. One day he is incapable of learning to read and the next he's ready. Trying to teach a kid whose brain isn't ready is impossible.

So you have to figure out when he's ready. That sim is a perfect tool for that! Now he just crashes and doesn't have a clue, right? One day he'll crash but ask questions. What those questions are will help you decide when he's ready.

And you'll be amazed. Literally, one day he won't have a clue and the next he'll be ready to learn! You don't choose that time, his brain does. So he doesn't choose the time either. He's ready when he's ready. It could be next week, it could be when he's 7.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:32 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1,225 Posts
I have heard of, but not seen, a 7 year old fly RC, let alone a 4 year old.

Anyways, I got another suggestion. How about starting the boy out on an RC car, preferably a small one. Learning to control 2-dimensions is easier than 3. Cars will teach him orientation and throttle (speed) control.
Last edited by easyrider604; Dec 04, 2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:48 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
teach mom on the sim,then on a buddy box,then when she can fly she can try to teach the 4 year old way to young as they dont understand ..
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:52 PM
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
1,829 Posts
"How do you teach a 4-year-old to fly?"

Throw him off the roof?

(sorry, couldn't resist )
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel