SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:03 PM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
5,227 Posts
new to me

thank you for the input. i had no idea that some would run to the right.
i will not try to learn why they do that, but considering that, i will ammend my statement that 'most races are to the left'.
ok?

some1 said that
'humans are an enigma'.

perhaps is that desire to go against the mainstream.
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:45 AM
Twisted and Confused
Joined May 2003
4,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez View Post
i will ammend my statement that 'most races are to the left'.
ok?
It's ok, wasn't having a go at you, just pointing out that definitive statements are risky as they can sometimes be proven incorrect
flyonline is offline Find More Posts by flyonline
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:30 AM
Joined Jul 2007
5,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonline View Post
It's ok, wasn't having a go at you, just pointing out that definitive statements are risky as they can sometimes be proven incorrect
how could any1 imagine that from all over the world, only in some places in aussie they do that?
some of you guys are something!

another example of oddities: we all know that the time is divided in time zones by hours, so there are 1 hour differences between places (cities, countries, states. provinces), but did you know that here in canada there is a province that is at 1/2 hour difference? so no 1 can say that all time zones are 1 hour.
and if some1 says that the day has 24 hours some1 else can say that it's not always, as there is daylight saving time and then there is 1 day of 23 hours and another of 25.
Last edited by phil alvirez; Nov 17, 2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:57 PM
Webmaster & Newsletter SVSS
Rio Linda, CA
Joined Feb 2010
121 Posts
You turn both right AND left.

A competent pilot is equally adept at turning in either direction. Ya kind hafta be. When a thermal lifts your wing, you steer into it, not away. Some thermals pop up on your right, some are your left. You adapt to the conditions.

"Ya play the cards what Mother Nature deals ya."
Dudley Dufort is offline Find More Posts by Dudley Dufort
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:23 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudley dufort View Post
a competent pilot is equally adept at turning in either direction.
exactly!
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:59 AM
Joined Jul 2007
5,227 Posts
back to the point

ok guys, let's get back to the point.
when i started this thread i said (see post 1) :
i will appreciate if any of you could tell me which way you turn to get into a thermal, and then which way you do to stay in it.
or if you change direction for a reason.

so far i have got enough evidence that thermals don't turn left or right, and that experienced pilots turn the way the thermal tells them it's located.
if any1 has input that will add to the point, please bring it.
comments on your experience in certain situations too.
thanks
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:52 PM
United States, CA, Diamond Springs
Joined Mar 2004
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley Dufort View Post
A competent pilot is equally adept at turning in either direction. ."
Sorry Dudley, I have to dissagree. Many "competent" pilots are more comfortable turning one direction over the other. In a clutch situation I will always turn left to maximise my chances of a save. Some pilots are equally adept at both directions. Most aren't.

Steve
TrekBiker is offline Find More Posts by TrekBiker
Last edited by TrekBiker; Nov 18, 2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:33 PM
Master of the Wind
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Sep 2008
1,191 Posts
On the road I usually fly all the way through a thermal and out the other side before starting the turn. The way I turn to go back into it often depends on the terrain, the location of the sun, and how far off the road it is. I will take another pass all the way through the thermal at a different angle and try to mentally mark which side is stronger. Using this info I will then start the circle from where I ended up. The direction depends only on which way the perceived core is and the shortest path to it. I will only alter the direction if there is another plane in the space.

Closer to the ground I tend to fly the plane more like a dlg and keep it going the direction I start but adjust the location for drift by loosening and tightening the circle on the sides.
G Norsworthy is offline Find More Posts by G Norsworthy
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:00 PM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,410 Posts
Not to derail this thread but a more interesting question might be, "What do you do to quickly center and stay centered?"

My GPS triangle practice sessions revolve around (no pun intended) entering the thermal, centering as quickly as possible and maximizing climb rate. Leave the thermal, approach it from another angle and repeat.

I'm w/ tkallev on this, for what it's worth. If you are favoring one direction over the other, you're handicapping yourself. For me, it was hard work to break that habit but I feel much more proficient knowing that I can wrap it up in either direction -- especially close to the ground -- when the need arises. This becomes especially critical as the wing loading goes up.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Norsworthy View Post
On the road I usually fly all the way through a thermal and out the other side before starting the turn. The way I turn to go back into it often depends on the terrain, the location of the sun, and how far off the road it is. I will take another pass all the way through the thermal at a different angle and try to mentally mark which side is stronger. Using this info I will then start the circle from where I ended up. The direction depends only on which way the perceived core is and the shortest path to it. I will only alter the direction if there is another plane in the space.

Closer to the ground I tend to fly the plane more like a dlg and keep it going the direction I start but adjust the location for drift by loosening and tightening the circle on the sides.
yyz is offline Find More Posts by yyz
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:05 PM
Joined Jul 2007
5,227 Posts
great input

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Norsworthy View Post

thank you sir. very interesting and valuable input.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:29 PM
Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Joined Sep 2007
739 Posts
Phil,

Although I'm an e-sailplaner, I always learn in these forums so was visiting and saw your thread on turning. This topic has interested me for a long time.

I have searched the web for an article I once read about a left-hand (counterclockwise) preference for most people in turning. I was not able to find the article I was looking for but I did find this from the National Institute of Health

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9104552 This indicates that there may well be a preference wired into us. A single, small study but thought provoking. Fascinating.

I prefer left-handed or counterclockwise turns while soaring. Although I work hard on practicing right-hand turns, I seem to be much smoother going to the left. That said, I'll enter a thermal either way, turning into the thermal.

A question that comes to mind for me is the following: Is there rotation in a thermal? If there is, I believe in the Northern Hemisphere the rotation would be counterclockwise (anti-cyclonic I think). If so I it may be an advantage to move with the rotation.

Hope my musings are not too far off the topic. I'm sure we have a wizard or two out there who may comment. Thanks for starting this thread. Good mental exercise I think.

Regards,
Dave
Highride is offline Find More Posts by Highride
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:17 PM
Joined Jul 2007
5,227 Posts
post 26

great input, Dave. and the link confirms what most of us do. i think it has something to do with the fact that, as we get more blood on the left side, the left leg is stronger-and heavier-so we lean on it to turn. it feels easier.

and your comments are welcome and very much to the point.
regarding if there is rotation on thermals, i was under that impression, but lately i am beginning to doubt it. now i think that they just go up, like a cumulus does. just look at them (cumulus) how they grow up.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:43 PM
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Aug 2010
215 Posts
Although we are probably "hard wired" to be more coordinated turning to the left, we pilots probably vary as the thermals do. I believe the thermals are much more variable as an earlier post presented examples of different dust devils turning in each direction. A simple experiment showing bias in mirror image perception involves viewing a large bolt and it's image in a mirror simultaneously. Try to judge the pitch of the thread: you will be surprised.
rrcdoug is offline Find More Posts by rrcdoug
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:40 AM
Joined Jul 2007
5,227 Posts
regarding thermals...

this brings us into a subject that we have been discussing here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...64#post4966743
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...64#post4966743
the 1st is the forum, and the 2nd brings us to post 11, where he shows an illustration of his perception of thermals.

see.
if you want to elaborate on the subject, perhaps you could contribute there too?
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:01 AM
Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Joined Sep 2007
739 Posts
Now, you've done it! Woke up, looked at my planes early this morning and started thinking about the turning and thermal discussion. Found my gray matter (remaining gray matter) in an agitated state.

Do not be alarmed <smile>, but I did some more searching on the subject. I have no intention of finding a bunch of "odd bits" on the web and posting them here, but I found the following, very short article supportive of several of the ideas in previous postings.

http://www.soartech-aero.com/Thermals.htm

Dave

(Note to self: Soaring might possibly be addictive. I don't have a problem. I can fight this, fight this, fight this...)
Highride is offline Find More Posts by Highride