HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Thermaler, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:16 AM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,640 Posts
Have really been enjoying the soaring history thread.

My dad and I built an Oly 99 around 1972. Never got to fly that one, as we sold it to help finance a radio system. He and I built another around 1974 or 1975 which I flew in some of the MESS (Metroplex Electronic Soaring Society) events in the DFW area. in the mid 1970's.

I went to work for the Hobby Market mail order R/C outfit in Fort Worth while in college in 1975. As I recall, Airtronics came out with the Aquila around 1975 or perhaps early 1976. I got one from the first shipment and had the second one flying in DFW. Bob Elliot from EK Radio had the first one, a kit gotten early from Airtronics.

The Aquila did not live too long. It was "shot down" at a soaring event in Breckenridge, Texas around 1977 by a guy leaving his TX on in the impound...sigh. I still have the wings and tails which are restored and in perfect shape, plus a glass fuse to replace the destroyed wooden fuse. It will fly again one day!

I also had a Graupner Cumulus around 1975, as well...nice flying model. Lost it to radio failure around 1976, as well...my state of the art MRC F710 system let me down.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2012, 07:11 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,228 Posts
Model Builder May 1973

Le gives us a lesson on Slope Soaring.
I am going to have to get to one of these Snoflies, I have flown with the GDSH guys on several occasions.
AFI's ASW 17, I may have posted it before but it is so beautiful . . . .

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Mar 29, 2012, 04:21 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,228 Posts
Model Builder June 1973

Le must have had a crystal ball. He was predicting bigger planes back in 73'.
The Draggin' Fly looks like another V tail for my hanger.
These two ads speak for themselves.

Joe
Old Mar 29, 2012, 04:57 PM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
Montrose, NY
Joined May 2003
1,397 Posts
Ya know.. One of the best parts of this hobby 20-30 years ago is that it was very affordable. I had a Windward. Yup, paid $25 for it. Flew it in my very first 2m event. Then whilst in college I flew it in between studies. So for less than $50 one could enjoy the hobby...

Kurt
kzimmerm is offline Find More Posts by kzimmerm
Old Mar 29, 2012, 07:07 PM
United States, IN, Mishawaka
Joined Sep 2009
221 Posts
True, the kits were very affordable when I was a kid but I remember radios being WAY out of reach 30 or 40 years ago. Thats probably why I was into free flight back in the early to mid 70's. In the late 70's I bought my first rc glider kit, an Aquila. Seems to me it was 60 or 70 dollars (if memory serves) and when I was 17/18 that was a bit of money.
Steve Bailey is offline Find More Posts by Steve Bailey
Old Mar 29, 2012, 07:37 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,228 Posts
Model Builder July 1973

Le invited guest writer Bill Lawrence to share info on launching sailplanes.
A review of Astro Flights ASW-17
And a few more ads that speak for themselves.
Anyone fly an Avatar 72?

Joe
Old Mar 29, 2012, 07:56 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,928 Posts
I did fly an Avatar, it belonged to the designer if I remember he was Willie Richards and was a SULA regular in the late 70's. It had a stepped fuselage that kind of hid the tow hook. This was a familiar layout in the early days showing influence of the RCM Snipe and would later lead to the Questor and others.
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Old Mar 29, 2012, 08:02 PM
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Oct 2004
1,086 Posts
Didn't have an Avatar, but I did have the 100" sister ship "Curio". Really nice kits by Milt Swan. I believe Milt was also cutting parts for the SoarCraft kits, back in the day.

BTW Milt is still in the wood business, only it's high end hand tools. Check them out at: http://www.swantoolusa.com/

- Norm
Norm Furutani is offline Find More Posts by Norm Furutani
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 29, 2012, 08:50 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,928 Posts
Thanks Norm, I forgot Milt... Willie was the Pastor right.... LJ
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:21 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,228 Posts
Model Builder August 1973

Habor Soaring Society's 1973 Western Soaring Championships.
Southwestern Sailplanes Baby Bowlus review.
The Todi.
LSF R/C Soaring Tournament announcement and Mark Smith sets a record. Over 13 hours of flying, the record should be for distance and endurment!
The Northrops have a lot to be happy about, she is so cute.

Joe
Last edited by Thermaler; Mar 30, 2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:23 AM
Valparaiso, IN
Joined Apr 2005
748 Posts
R/C Soaring History Question

At the 1985 AMA (the LSF wasn't involved yet) Soaring NATS in Massachusetts (those were the days when the NATS moved about the country) , a most unusual sailplane competed. It featured electrostatic sensors that detected lift and was uglier than the much-maligned Shuttle. I thought I had some pictures of it but cannot seem to find them. Can anyone else with a good memory comment on this sailplane?
Jim Deck is offline Find More Posts by Jim Deck
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:21 PM
the flying is good
USA, CT, Hamden
Joined Oct 2002
2,110 Posts
Helmut Lelke was the flier. I never knew the plane had a name though. He was a Charles River, CRRC member, a search of their site might bring up some info.
dephela is online now Find More Posts by dephela
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:30 PM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Deck View Post
At the 1985 AMA (the LSF wasn't involved yet) Soaring NATS in Massachusetts (those were the days when the NATS moved about the country) , a most unusual sailplane competed. It featured electrostatic sensors that detected lift and was uglier than the much-maligned Shuttle. I thought I had some pictures of it but cannot seem to find them. Can anyone else with a good memory comment on this sailplane?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=221

The 1985 NATS was just before my time, but I did get to see Helmut fly this model at one of the first contests I went to. It was probably one of the first high performance designs I had seen and one of the first high wing loading sailplanes I had seen. He intentionally designed it with a flat wing to demonstrate the stability system. From what I recall, the sensors had a radioactive component. I always thought that was pretty neat - certainly opened my eyes to what is possible if motivated enough.

Here is one of Helmut's more recent efforts http://charlesriverrc.org/articles/a...lke_asfwpp.htm

Tom
Kiesling is online now Find More Posts by Kiesling
Old Mar 30, 2012, 02:33 PM
Charleston, SC
Joined Nov 2007
490 Posts
The "electrostatic autopilot" came out in the early 1970s when I was in college. There was a how-to in one of the model magazines, complete with schematics and component part numbers as I recall. I always wanted to build one, but never did. Someplace I have a copy of the articles. One reported "feature" when used with power models was that once in a while the model would briefly flip inverted right after takeoff.
AMBeck is offline Find More Posts by AMBeck
Old Mar 30, 2012, 03:13 PM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Deck View Post
LSF was almost out of business in the 1980s. The last LSF tourniment before 1980 that I rememberwas1979 at Lockport. I flew in that one. The next LSF tournament was in 1992 at Vincennes. It was followed by anothe one at the Lawrenceville Airport in 1993 before moving to the new AMA field at Muncie in 1994. LSF took over the AMA Nats soaring events in 1995 and has run it every since.
ChuckA is offline Find More Posts by ChuckA