HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2009, 06:17 PM
Shrediquetter
Bremen, Germany
Joined Apr 2007
250 Posts
Quote:
Are those boards available? Or will they be available? I have seen some of your videos, that thing is very stable.
I published everything as open source, but maybe it would be a good idea if I solder a bunch of boards together and try to sell them. Then I could afford some spare propellers :-D .
Willa1980 is offline Find More Posts by Willa1980
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2009, 06:22 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by signguy View Post
The rods might be heavy. My wood booms are 1.24oz per foot, and are very strong and resilliant. They will bend before breaking.
Bob D
Ok, you I am 66 grams heavier then you for three booms at 18" at this point.

But I can drill a few lightening holes. We will see.
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Nov 16, 2009, 07:29 PM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,073 Posts
I just finished some more Hover practice and had my first hands off hover! So cool - One thing I have notices is I have to keep trimming it even after a battery change - I think I have it trimmed and next thing I know it needs a few clicks - another thing I have notice is my gyros like being as close to the center of gravity as possible - This makes sense now that I think about it - Before I had them closer to the middle of the arms but with some testing tonight I think I prefer them as close to the CG as possible - Can anyone confirm this? Bob? Thanks

Mike
cdi3d is offline Find More Posts by cdi3d
Last edited by cdi3d; Nov 16, 2009 at 09:50 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 11:01 PM
Joined Mar 2007
559 Posts
I cut off one of the used golf shafts tonight. Its 39 1/2" long and weighs 68g/2.35oz. The large dia. end is .6" od and the tip is .345" od. The large end on this shaft is constant diameter for the first 14". These are strong with a little bit of flex toward the tip/ I plan on cutting my length from the fat end. Weight per foot for this shaft averages .71 oz/foot.

Cheap, strong, light. Just how I like it!

Rob D.
nocontrol1 is online now Find More Posts by nocontrol1
Old Nov 16, 2009, 11:09 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdi3d View Post
I just finished some more Hover practice and had my first hands off hover! So cool - One thing I have notices is I have to keep trimming it even after a battery change - I think I have it trimmed and next thing I know it needs a few clicks - another thing I have notice is my gyros like being as close to the center of gravity as possible - This makes sense now that I think about it - Before I had them closer to the middle of the arms but with some testing tonight I think I prefer them as close to the CG as possible - Can anyone confirm this? Bob? Thanks

Mike
I have found that you can put the gyros anywhere and they work. As long as the gyros are parallel to the arms. I have had them grouped together on a small plate hear the rear arm and it worked fine.

Bob D
signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy
Old Nov 16, 2009, 11:11 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocontrol1 View Post
I cut off one of the used golf shafts tonight. Its 39 1/2" long and weighs 68g/2.35oz. The large dia. end is .6" od and the tip is .345" od. The large end on this shaft is constant diameter for the first 14". These are strong with a little bit of flex toward the tip/ I plan on cutting my length from the fat end. Weight per foot for this shaft averages .71 oz/foot.

Rob D.
Very Nice, this is the try of project I love. It is a win/win situation, Recycling all of the junk around the house in to fun useful products. LOL
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Nov 16, 2009, 11:13 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:

Rob D.
Hey Rob

I used to get those all the time at my last job . I was a mobile golf car mechanic before going out on my own with my sign business. They are very strong, just be careful of the boron shafts. That boron is nasty stuff when cut or splintered.

Bob D
Old Nov 16, 2009, 11:45 PM
Joined Mar 2007
559 Posts
Hey Bob- Thanks! I've never had any of the boron shafts. I built a under slung mount for a Raptor 60 out of the golf shafts. It's held up under a few "firm" autos quite well. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around how to mount the yaw mechanism to the end of one of these shafts... Any ideas?

Rob D.
nocontrol1 is online now Find More Posts by nocontrol1
Old Nov 17, 2009, 05:49 AM
Suspended Account
United States, UT, Salina
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
Thanks so much for taking time to create this very informative thread....

So very cool.
Bilbobaker is offline Find More Posts by Bilbobaker
Old Nov 17, 2009, 06:17 AM
Worn-out the seat of my pants
Dorset UK
Joined Dec 2006
922 Posts
No no, he is evil!
Lomcevac is offline Find More Posts by Lomcevac
Old Nov 17, 2009, 07:41 AM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomcevac View Post
No no, he is evil!
Yes, Yes I am ( evil laugh )

Bob D
Old Nov 17, 2009, 08:49 AM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Hey Bob- Thanks! I've never had any of the boron shafts. I built a under slung mount for a Raptor 60 out of the golf shafts. It's held up under a few "firm" autos quite well. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around how to mount the yaw mechanism to the end of one of these shafts... Any ideas?

Rob D.
I would glue a smaller non tapered rod into the end of the club shaft to use as the pivot. The you could glue a plate to the club shaft for your servo mount.
I don't like using glue, because it is usually too brittle. The tape method using strapping tape works well, and is field repairable.
You could also hard mount the motor to the end of the shaft, and pivot the shaft at the center frame end. A little careful sanding to remove the taper, then you would need a tube for that to fit in. Wax them both, should work...

Bob D
Old Nov 17, 2009, 08:51 AM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirt57 View Post
I've built the frame and added the arms. See pictures below. Next to build the motor mounts and pivot.

- Jeff
Hey Jeff

How is the build coming along? Looks like your the only one going with the plans. Can't wait to see it fly.

Bob D
Old Nov 17, 2009, 02:40 PM
Canada, ON, Cambridge
Joined Jan 2007
4,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by signguy View Post
Hey Jeff

How is the build coming along? Looks like your the only one going with the plans. Can't wait to see it fly.

Bob D
You can't wait?, what about me. Right now I'm waiting for the paint to dry on the frame and arms. I'm making a servo mount from 1/16" angle aluminum. I'll take pictures of that this evening. I'm also going to have to make a new bottom frame to attach the camera mount I have. I'll also upload a picture of that.

My parts are "processing". Sigh! No way they'll arrive before the weekend. Too bad as there is an indoor fly on Friday at a golf dome. That would be an ideal location to do a test flight. Lots of heli gurus to help with the radio and gyro setups. Ah well, they do the dome indoor fly every month.

- Jeff
Canadian Geek is offline Find More Posts by Canadian Geek
Old Nov 17, 2009, 02:47 PM
Canada, ON, Cambridge
Joined Jan 2007
4,530 Posts
Oh, I've also started practicing with a Realflight. I downloaded a copy of a Y-UFO. I hope my Tricopter flies easier than the Y-UFO. It wants to tip over very easily.

- Jeff
Canadian Geek is offline Find More Posts by Canadian Geek