New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2014, 03:10 PM
Find More Posts by almondsaz
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2014
157 Posts
I flew the beaver over the holiday and the take off got the best of me and I had a bit of a run in with the field. Damaged the firewall and will have it repaired. I love the plane when it is flying or landing, but don't like to take off with it. Perhaps next time I will try this from a grass field vs. a tarmac runway.
almondsaz is online now Find More Posts by almondsaz
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2014, 06:05 PM
Find More Posts by Oatmeal Savage
rgthd007 on YouTube
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Mar 2010
513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by almondsaz View Post
I flew the beaver over the holiday and the take off got the best of me and I had a bit of a run in with the field. Damaged the firewall and will have it repaired. I love the plane when it is flying or landing, but don't like to take off with it. Perhaps next time I will try this from a grass field vs. a tarmac runway.
For what it's worth, the problems I've seen some of my friends have with this plane is trying to take off too slow and/or yanking on the elevator too soon. With mine, I give it pretty much full power at take off and all goes well. Not the nice scale take off some might be looking for but she goes straight and there are no issues. Then, just a nice gentle application of the elevator and away you go. You can get crazy in the air but she is not very forgiving on take offs. And, she doesn't like very slow tight turns in the air. Happy flying!
Oatmeal Savage is offline Find More Posts by Oatmeal Savage
Old Dec 28, 2014, 08:06 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2014
157 Posts
Thanks Oatmeal Savage. I was trying to use slow controlled take off and learning to get rudder control - so too slow was my downfall. Can't wait to get her back in the air, love how she flys once airborne.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2014, 09:10 PM
rgthd007 on YouTube
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Mar 2010
513 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Oatmeal Savage. I was trying to use slow controlled take off and learning to get rudder control - so too slow was my downfall. Can't wait to get her back in the air, love how she flys once airborne.
Yes, I'm afraid that this is one of the few planes where that tactic doesn't work very well. If you can over look this weakness, it is still a lot of fun to fly.

Also, after take off, let her get up some airspeed before making your first turn.

Happy flying!
Old Dec 28, 2014, 09:31 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2014
157 Posts
Just for clarity. Take her out on the runway and 'no flaps' and take off quickly...not necessarily full throttle but don't dottle on the runway and she should take off in a short amount of runway. Still a bit wild on the take off, or not as wild as the slow take off?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2014, 09:59 PM
rgthd007 on YouTube
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Mar 2010
513 Posts
Quote:
Just for clarity. Take her out on the runway and 'no flaps' and take off quickly...not necessarily full throttle but don't dottle on the runway and she should take off in a short amount of runway. Still a bit wild on the take off, or not as wild as the slow take off?
doing this should give you a happy result, and don't yank on the elevator until you've got some speed up. Feed the elevator in smoothly as you would in a full scale.

Your mileage may vary!

The two main complaints at take off are keeping her straight and avoiding the dreaded ground loop. A bit of speed and a gentle thumb on the elevator will go a long way.

Once you learn her characteristics, you can start to push the envelope.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Here's an old crappy video of my Beaver...watch the take off.

E-Flite DHC-2 Beaver (5 min 26 sec)

Happy flying!
Old Dec 28, 2014, 10:13 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2014
157 Posts
Wonderful takeoff....and landing. Picture perfect. Thank you, except know I know I am a newbie as my takeoff (when they went ok) didn't look remotely as smooth as yours. Something for me to aspire to. Great video, thank you for sharing it. I can 't wait to get her back, fixed and up in the air.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2015, 04:09 PM
Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
I Used To Have More Free Time!
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
2,275 Posts
Subbed. Just got one slightly used.
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Mar 05, 2015, 11:48 AM
Find More Posts by slidewaysgts
United States, WA, Bellevue
Joined Jan 2013
88 Posts
Anybody happen to have a bruised cowl they are willing to part with? I need one for another plane and will have to hack it up a bit. Hate to hack up a new one.
slidewaysgts is online now Find More Posts by slidewaysgts
Old Mar 05, 2015, 02:00 PM
Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
I Used To Have More Free Time!
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
2,275 Posts
I may have one... I'll get back to you later. have to run for now.
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Mar 20, 2015, 08:38 PM
Find More Posts by cameo20000
Canada, BC, Fort Langley
Joined Jul 2013
11 Posts
Just picked up Eflite Beaver , read manual, read this thread. Have take parts out of box again and scrutinize for any warps. Have HK G46 and G32, anyone flying with the G46. Plan on Floats later for flying North Vancouver Island in salt water. Probably not a good idea but no fresh water on small island. I'd be interested in the different floats that have been used.
GC
cameo20000 is offline Find More Posts by cameo20000