SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 06, 2015, 05:49 PM
Find More Posts by Tom Hoffman
Joined Apr 2015
2 Posts
Discussion
R/c Enterprise J Boat Build

I have never tried to build a small boat before. I have seen a friend build several IM boats in his garage over the past winter. I am a snow birder living in Yuma AZ right now and only have a limited few power tools and hand tools with me,

With all the above in mind, I am going to attempt to build a representation of a 1930's era J Boat Enterprise. The LOA will be approximately 68", Beam 12"-14", with a Sheer to keel depth of 12"-14".

I have the base made and the ribs installed with the keelson in place. I will try to post a pic.

Tom...

Tom Hoffman is offline Find More Posts by Tom Hoffman
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2015, 07:51 PM
Find More Posts by TwisterJ
United Kingdom
Joined Jan 2013
9 Posts
You certainly look as though you've made an excellent start - do you intend to take a fibreglass molding of the hull or will the finished model also be timber planked etc?

I've also got an 'Enterprise' build on the go which will be R/C when finished although it's to a smaller scale than yours at 1:28. You can check out my build log here:

http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/show...rise-build-log

Any questions then I'd be happy to help.

I'll definitely try to visit your log when time permits etc, so in the meantime, good luck!!
TwisterJ is online now Find More Posts by TwisterJ
Old Apr 06, 2015, 08:40 PM
Find More Posts by Tom Hoffman
Joined Apr 2015
2 Posts
Enterprise J Boat

Hi Twister

I will be planking and then fiberglass and epoxy and then finish the boat and sail as is. Last wed I went to Lake Havasu AZ and met with the Secretary of the US J Boat Group on AMYA. His boats were awesome. He had a 102" Endeavor II and a 101.5" Ranger both finished to a high degree of excellence.

Now i have a new target to aspire to.

I will check your blog.

Tom...
Tom Hoffman is offline Find More Posts by Tom Hoffman
Old Apr 09, 2015, 05:24 AM
Find More Posts by Mark Powell
United Kingdom, England, Southampton
Joined Oct 2013
2,768 Posts
Very nice. My father was a crewman on Sopwith's Endeavour. It was lying about for many years on a river estuary near me.

Though mainly interested in rc planes I've just started to do the drawings of the 1903 Herreshoff America's Cup winning 'Reliance'. 7 feet long overall, plus the boom.. Not a J of course. Bigger and madder! I shall use a removable longer keel.
Mark Powell is offline Find More Posts by Mark Powell
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)