HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2008, 06:00 PM
3D Soon-To-Be....
Chicago
Joined Apr 2008
797 Posts
Discussion
Engine Too rich or lean??

I bought a Nexstar Select, the engine is a Os .46 FXi. I put it to rich and started it and when I give it throttle, it died. So I kept moving the needle valve until I finally got it. It's about halfway more to the lean side about 10 or 11/16 all the way to one side. So the needle valve is just a tad bit past halfway on the lean side. Is this normal. I also have A LOT of oil coming out the side. I mean like the whole side is covered with fuel. Some guys told me to make it leaner, but is it normal to have it on the lean side?? The engine has a limiter so I don't put it too rich or too lean. Thank you.
Marcinb is offline Find More Posts by Marcinb
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2008, 06:13 PM
AMA # L576
United States, OR, North Bend
Joined Sep 2006
2,227 Posts
Personally, I would remove that limiter and follow the instructions for tuning your engine in the sticky at the top of this forum. If your engine is too rich, then yes you are going to get excessive amounts of oil on the side of your plane. You will get oil on the side of your plane in any case, but when your too rich, your probably getting unburnt fuel also.
vhoward1122 is offline Find More Posts by vhoward1122
Old Jul 19, 2008, 06:17 PM
Joined Feb 2007
2,801 Posts
Marcin, counting the turns will just confuse you and have you chasing your tail all over the place. Hold the plane, and turn the High Speed needle CW until the engine runs the fastest and smoothest then turn it back CCW about 1/8th to 1/4 turn.
I TOBOR is offline Find More Posts by I TOBOR
Old Jul 19, 2008, 11:30 PM
3D Soon-To-Be....
Chicago
Joined Apr 2008
797 Posts
Thank you I Tobor that is how i pretty much have my engine set. I don't want to do anything fancy like remove limiters and things like that.... Thank you for the simple yet very helpful answer.
Marcinb is offline Find More Posts by Marcinb