SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 03, 2014, 09:23 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined May 2011
123 Posts
Discussion
Sky Touch II - an unlikely rubber to RC conversion

I saw this rubber powered model on Banggood for only $4 delivered, so I thought - why not? It went together well, and under rubber power it exceeded my expectations - the designers had put some thought into making it very light, yet strong enough. Weight was 28g, not bad for a biplane with a 500mm span, especially since the prop and rubber band alone were nearly 10g.

From Banggood: DIY Rubber Powered Aircraft SKU119315 (0 min 59 sec)

I started thinking about RC conversion at low cost. I have WLToys F929 and F939 ultra micro planes, and I knew the "brick" from those was available from Banggood as a spare for less than $10. My spares box has many small brushed motors from various micro quadcopters. The most suitable seemed to be a 20mmx7mm motor and 55mm diameter prop from a Vitality H36 quad which had flown with plenty of power. With 1mm CF push rods I gave it rudder and elevator control. The tail was strengthened with 0.5mm CF rod. Control horns were cut from an expired credit card.

The "brick" comes with no servo arms or screws, being a spare. I used arms and screws from the Hobby King 1.7g servo, which were a perfect fit.

Weight of the RC version came out at 36.1g, including battery. I use aftermarket 1S 100mAh lipos sold for the WLToys V272 and Cheerson CX10 nano quads by Banggood and TMart. The JST PH (aka MCPX) plug on the brick had to be replaced with a JST micro plug to match these batteries.

Maiden was this morning:

Sky Touch II - Rubber power to electric RC conversion (3 min 3 sec)
1auriec is offline Find More Posts by 1auriec
Last edited by 1auriec; Oct 03, 2014 at 09:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2014, 04:43 AM
Mack
Australia, VIC, Mentone
Joined Jun 2004
497 Posts
Looks like a nice model 1auriec and the conversion works well. If you have not seen the thread about a Strato Streak mod at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1699849 make sure to check out the video at Post 9. I'm sure it would fool the uninitiated!
I eventually made a biplane version of the Estes model for our indoor meeting and was very pleased with it. You would be welcome to visit our indoor venue in Chadstone. See http://www.indooraviation.com for details. If you can make it, bring the model along. Peter
Peter Mack is offline Find More Posts by Peter Mack
Old Oct 05, 2014, 06:45 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined May 2011
123 Posts
Thanks for your kind words Peter. This is the first RC conversion I have attempted, but I am finding the whole idea intriguing and had a good laugh at the post you referred me to.

I've never flown indoors, except for quadcopters, but I'd like to come to your Chadstone site and bring the model with me. I'll check out the link for your flying times.
1auriec is offline Find More Posts by 1auriec
Old Oct 05, 2014, 08:23 PM
Mack
Australia, VIC, Mentone
Joined Jun 2004
497 Posts
Our next meeting is tomorrow (9.30am) and the one after is on Friday 31/10. We have a group of dedicated free-flighters but most of us fly micro RC. There is a nominal 1s limit to power but lightweight 2s powered models can be negotiated. Very small quads and helis are confined to flying with care in the naughty corner....
Old Oct 05, 2014, 10:22 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,606 Posts
Well you'll have the place to yourselves Pete.

The second Tuesday of the month is the 14th not the 7th.

JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mack View Post
Our next meeting is tomorrow (9.30am) and the one after is on Friday 31/10. We have a group of dedicated free-flighters but most of us fly micro RC. There is a nominal 1s limit to power but lightweight 2s powered models can be negotiated. Very small quads and helis are confined to flying with care in the naughty corner....
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Old Oct 06, 2014, 05:10 AM
Mack
Australia, VIC, Mentone
Joined Jun 2004
497 Posts
Thanks John. I should know, shouldn't I? Sorry for the bum steer 1auriec. Peter
Old Oct 07, 2014, 11:15 PM
West of California Speedway, East of LaLa, North of Disneyland
Joined May 2001
2,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mack View Post
.............. Very small quads and helis are confined to flying with care in the naughty corner....
Wow!! Sounds like the rules are geographically universal. Here in California, US, where I fly indoors, it's pretty much the same. Heli? Quad? Get in the corner!!

Thankfully, my desire for both of them has peaked and waned. WWI scale and tailless micros are my desire.
356Jim is online now Find More Posts by 356Jim