HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 25, 2014, 09:11 PM
United States, SC, Liberty
Joined Dec 2013
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfmaniac View Post
Yes it is fun. This is a powered fixed-wing aircraft. The pilot is just choosing not to use the self launching system
In that case, yes it is an airplane.
Brynmr is online now Find More Posts by Brynmr
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2014, 09:18 PM
Joined Dec 2013
393 Posts
[QUOTE=dharban;27895856]Don't we see enough bozos who live to exploit our differences every night on the evening news?/QUOTE]

Vive la différence!
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:35 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
2,896 Posts
Was I just called a bozo for posting a meaningless post during the meaningless-news hour?
I am not different at all (despite your "crude" spelling, of which I will not educate myself to understand) since we are ALL posting meaninglessly.
Aaaannnd, g'night.
cityevader is online now Find More Posts by cityevader
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:47 PM
Joined Jul 2009
566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynmr View Post
In that case, yes it is an airplane.
So you are saying that the aircraft that won the World Gliding Championship in 2012 is an airplane and not a sailplane? Or are you just agreeing with my sarcastic post about it being an airplane? I'm confused now.
edfmaniac is offline Find More Posts by edfmaniac
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:56 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,896 Posts
whoa...I just re-read my comment above, and it's nowhere near how I imagined it in my head while typing. I should have been witty, funny, tongue-in-cheek, etc...but i showed I can drunk-post with the best of them...
Now then...
I'm back, and awake again, what were we talkin' 'bout?
Old Mar 25, 2014, 11:13 PM
Joined Dec 2013
393 Posts
Quote:
So you are saying that the aircraft that won the World Gliding Championship in 2012 is an airplane and not a sailplane? Or are you just agreeing with my sarcastic post about it being an airplane? I'm confused now.
I would say your sarcasm has more sense than you do. The plane that won the championship is a multifunctional aircraft. If the rules were to only use the motor to launch it to altitude before entering the contest proper, then it functioned solely as a sailplane during the contest.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:07 AM
Joined Jul 2009
566 Posts
So now state of the art self launching open class sailplanes are "multifunctional aircraft"? LOL
That's a good one.

And thank you for pointing out how self launching sailplanes are used in contests. They work the same in full scale contests as they do in rc contests. A digital history of engine runs and altitude are recorded on board which the officials have access to and you can only use the engine to climb to a certain altitude before being shut down for that task. You break the rules, you lose.

The funny thing is that the best full scale pilots on the planet have no problem flying against self launching designs, even when it's their reputation, careers and a world title on the line. Yet some people in the toy plane world still demand on distinguishing between the two in the most informal setting possible. I find it rather comical to be honest.

I've had an old joke bouncing around in my head as an analogy to our situation. The hardcore thermal pilot, single minded and focused on one narrow aspect of the hobby is going to play the young bull in this story. The guy that will fly anything that has two or more control surfaces, has a glide ratio higher than a troop glider and gets to thermal altitude in any way, shape or form possible is going to play the old bull. And the pretty ladies are going to play all of the different ways to enjoy life in the world of thermal flying, or slope soaring, or........

"There are two bulls standing at the top of a hill overlooking a pasture. One is an old-timer and the other is young. In the pasture are dozens of attractive cows, milling about and eating the tender grass beneath their hooves. The young bull says to the old bull, "Let's run down the hill and breed a cow!!" The old bull calmly looks at the young one and replies, "Let's WALK down the hill and breed them all."

Ha, ha! I hope that settles how I feel about the whole situation. Variety is the spice of life, when it comes to soaring that is.
edfmaniac is offline Find More Posts by edfmaniac
Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:20 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,896 Posts
Paper airplanes are the only way to go.

And DON"T you go saying that wood is "more pure" than paper, because it hasn't been processed yet, because that would be violating rule #1 of paper planing... there is nothing more pure than paper!!!
Old Mar 26, 2014, 06:54 AM
Joined Dec 2013
393 Posts
Quote:
So now state of the art self launching open class sailplanes are "multifunctional aircraft"? LOL
That's a good one.
No, that's what they ARE not what you call them necessarily. Call them whatever you like but they're different than non motorized sailplanes because they have capabilities/functions that those sailplanes don't have - obviously.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 07:02 AM
Joined Dec 2013
393 Posts
Quote:
"There are two bulls standing at the top of a hill overlooking a pasture. One is an old-timer and the other is young. In the pasture are dozens of attractive cows, milling about and eating the tender grass beneath their hooves. The young bull says to the old bull, "Let's run down the hill and breed a cow!!" The old bull calmly looks at the young one and replies, "Let's WALK down the hill and breed them all."
I would hope then that the bulls at least have the courtesy of using the cow's individual names while mating. LOL
Old Mar 26, 2014, 10:56 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,748 Posts
As Johnny Carson would say Nytol.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2014, 04:04 PM
Florida
Joined Jul 2004
829 Posts
Read the whole thread! Being from Florida and not knowing what a troll was, I have been laughing my @#! off!
Really, this thread made my afternoon! I would not put a prop on an SGS 1-26 or a Minimoa, but a Stemme would not work right without one.
Keep 'em coming guys, this is just a part of being a modeler, some years ago, we would not even be having this discussion because there were no forums, internet or whatever, but we progressed and changed and now enjoy and have fun with everyone else on the forum from many different parts of the world!
Later gators!
Thermaleer, from the "Troll" state!
Thermaleer is offline Find More Posts by Thermaleer
Old Mar 26, 2014, 05:42 PM
delete account
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityevader View Post
Paper airplanes are the only way to go.

And DON"T you go saying that wood is "more pure" than paper, because it hasn't been processed yet, because that would be violating rule #1 of paper planing... there is nothing more pure than paper!!!
Now that is funy!

I suppose, it easily makes perfect sense for full scalers to use a tuck away pod drive, it's a real safety advantage over tugs and ground line launching, their life is at less of a risk for many reasons! not to mention all the other practical and logistical reasons.

But for us, poor old humble ground bound RC flyers, what's really at risk? a few splinters of wood and glass at best, not our lives. So is it purely numbskull opportunism for some of us to follow a trend or fashion or trend of the big boys, a cover for our laziness, an indication of the 'I want it right now' consumer culture we live in?

Or maybe it doesn't even matter, it's only a hobby and recreational sport for 99.9% of us and it's good to have a choice and be free with it.

Now where is my castor oil,
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Mar 26, 2014, 07:50 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,896 Posts
mmm...castor oil for a Cox TeeDee .09 power pod. That brings up some fine memories.

Had it on my Antares (stupid plane that i painstakingly built myself in '90.
What's it called when an F3B plane has a screaming whirly on it? And oh my, does a 2oz fuel tank ever last a long time...so then it's time to just do stunts all over the sky until it runs out of gas in order to start soaring for realsies...what would that be called?
Old Mar 26, 2014, 08:28 PM
United States, CA, Santa Margarita
Joined Dec 2007
192 Posts
"What's it called when an F3B plane has a screaming whirly on it? And oh my, does a 2oz fuel tank ever last a long time...so then it's time to just do stunts all over the sky until it runs out of gas in order to start soaring for realsies...what would that be called? "

To some, it would be called "scary". To some , "unclean, unclean", To some, "really messy". To some, "painstakingly noisy". To some, "that's all we had". To some, "lotso fun". But with todays technology, might as well add throttle control, put retractable landing gear on it, and practice touch & go's intermittently with soaring.
simmler is online now Find More Posts by simmler