HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2012, 06:38 PM
ON, Canada
Joined Nov 2007
178 Posts
Question
3D Hobby Shop OR Twisted Hobbies

Thanks to everyone who helped me with my inquiry and decision. You guys are awesome and cool, I really appreciate the various input and advice from everyone in this thread!

Hi Guys,

Did a quick search but have not come up with any informative hits.

I know that threads like this brings about arguments but would like some unbiased opinions on a recommended EPP 3D foamie as a good 3D practice bird.

Been in the hobby about 15 years now, but the last 7 years have had the least flying.

I have been flying mostly giant scale for the last 10 years but purchased the Eflite Carbon Z Yak and a Park Zone Extra. They are great for quick flights with no hassle.

I was looking at the 3D Hobby Shop Extra and now seeing the Twisted Hobbies line up.

I would like to practice some Harrier Rolls, Torque Rolls (did them with the giant scale aerobats) would like to practice lower, knife edge loops and circuits etc.

What would you guys recommend as a half decent 3D trainer which can take some bumping around? Anyone had the airplanes from both 3D HS or Twisted Hobbies?

Prefer to stay in the 32-35" wingspan bracket.

Thanks Guys.
turboready is offline Find More Posts by turboready
Last edited by turboready; Apr 21, 2012 at 02:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:40 PM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,641 Posts
I've owned both the Edge and Extra from 3DHS, and now the Crack Yak and Extra Slick from Twisted, and have flown everything they make in that size. I fly for Twisted now so take what I say with a grain of salt

Anyway, any of the 32-35" airplanes from either company would make a fine 3D trainer. They are all very durable and fly very well, but I prefer the airplanes from Twisted myself. The foam is stiffer and the planes fly more precisely, and the planes go together quicker.

The Extra Slick flies most like a wood airplane out of all of the airplanes that Twisted offers. The Crack Yak is faster, more responsive, more capable, and more rewarding to a skilled pilot (but it's by no means hard to fly). The Edge and Sbach are more sedate and a good introduction to 3D aerobatics.
cwojcik is online now Find More Posts by cwojcik
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:53 PM
ON, Canada
Joined Nov 2007
178 Posts
Thanks cwojcik for the detailed and informative reply. I won't take your words with a grain of salt, since you had to have good reasons to fly for Twisted.

Since you have flown the airplanes from both companies, it's not likely that anyone else can give a better comparison review.

Having said that, I will go with Twisted. The choice now has to be narrowed down to airframe. From what you have said, I seem to favor the Crack Yak, especially since I have 3 giant scale Yaks in my possession

Things to consider, would it be better still to go with the Slick since it feels like a built up airplane, making the transition easier between that and my Giant Scale airplanes?

Go with the Crack Yak for performance, or is easier to practice 3D with the Edge or Sbach?

Thanks again for your reply.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:28 PM
Extremely Twisted
Joined Oct 2005
2,641 Posts
You can't go wrong with any of them. The Crack Yak is quicker, will pitch and yaw harder, and roll faster. The Extra Slick locks into KE really well, and does the best snaps I've ever seen in a foamie. The Edge and Sbach are very forgiving and easy to 3D, but can still be flown precisely. My favorite is probably the Crack Yak.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:27 PM
ON, Canada
Joined Nov 2007
178 Posts
I am getting this to practice and nail down the rolling harrier mainly Cwojcik.

Would the Crack Yak be the best choice between the four airplanes to do this?

I gathered the Crack Yak is your favorite and from what I have been looking at in the vids it seems great indeed

Thanks again.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 06:17 AM
Extremely Twisted
Joined Oct 2005
2,641 Posts
The Crack Yak is a rolling harrier machine, and it will certainly teach you them. Go for it!
Old Apr 21, 2012, 07:12 AM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboready View Post
I am getting this to practice and nail down the rolling harrier mainly Cwojcik.

Would the Crack Yak be the best choice between the four airplanes to do this?

I gathered the Crack Yak is your favorite and from what I have been looking at in the vids it seems great indeed

Thanks again.
Definitely the Crack Yak! It was designed from the get go to excell in rolling maneuvers! It's the most fun you can have with a foamy! I am biased as well but I mean what I am saying with all my heart!
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:39 AM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
Chris,
Did you design the Crack Yak?
e-gull
ps I just looked at the Crack Yak thread and there it was. A very interesting tale by Chis about the development of the TH planes that he helped with. Definitley worth a look.
e-gull is offline Find More Posts by e-gull
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:59 AM
Joined Feb 2011
235 Posts
How about the 39" size?
I would like to test one of twisted hobbies 39"`s, but have problems choosing. The RS352 is probably the one closest to my shopping cart for the moment

Hope its ok for me to kinda join the thread alittle..
Ola. is online now Find More Posts by Ola.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 09:10 AM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,649 Posts
3dhs 34'' epp edge grat plane
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Apr 21, 2012, 01:00 PM
ON, Canada
Joined Nov 2007
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwojcik View Post
The Crack Yak is a rolling harrier machine, and it will certainly teach you them. Go for it!
Thanks Cwojcik, the Crack Yak it will be. Thanks so much for your time and input regarding my inquiry.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 01:09 PM
ON, Canada
Joined Nov 2007
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hercdriver7777 View Post
Definitely the Crack Yak! It was designed from the get go to excell in rolling maneuvers! It's the most fun you can have with a foamy! I am biased as well but I mean what I am saying with all my heart!
Thanks for the input hercdriver7777, will follow your advice too. I like your honesty about being biased but yet saying the truth, that's cool.

Forgot to ask what to use for a power house, do I go with the package TH have?
Old Apr 21, 2012, 01:15 PM
Mesquite Tx
Joined Jan 2008
263 Posts
I have the 3DHS 32" Extra and 34" Edge and Twisted Hobbies Crack Yak and Edge. The 3dhs planes are great but the TH planes are better. IMHO
Bigugly is offline Find More Posts by Bigugly
Old Apr 21, 2012, 01:21 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,275 Posts
The TH power combo works great and all the soldering is done for you.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Apr 21, 2012, 01:46 PM
ON, Canada
Joined Nov 2007
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola. View Post
How about the 39" size?
I would like to test one of twisted hobbies 39"`s, but have problems choosing. The RS352 is probably the one closest to my shopping cart for the moment

Hope its ok for me to kinda join the thread alittle..
Sure you are allowed to join the thread, that's what the forums are for man, the more info and help the better for everyone. Someone else might do a search and hit this thread saving time to research this all over again.