HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:47 PM
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Sep 2012
85 Posts
I've ordered a 9116 this weekend for guaranteed delivery on Tuesday, October 9th!

Pretty excited about this bird and it will be the fourth in my fleet. I have a couple coaxials and when I was ready to step up to the next level, I decided to go with a WL V911 as my first 4ch. And while its an excellent heli, i've had this deep down desire to fly a bigger bird. Hence why I pulled the trigger on a 9116. I figured it requires the same skill level that the V911 does, its just fulfills that desire of flying a bigger helicopter.

I don't intend on this helicopter to be a daily flyer, I've got my V911 for that. More so, "the bigger bird to fly outside on nicer days" sort of helicopter.

Im aware of the weak tail motor issues. But fortunately, replacement tails cost about $4.99 from TMart, and it appears to be a relatively easy and inexpensive fix to make (no soldering from what I understand?). Also considering this won't be a daily flyer, I hope that i'll get a few decent flights over a couple weeks from this thing before having to make the repair.

In anticipation of the repair, I plan to order a replacement tail motor and some parts for this machine on my next payday. I also plan to order a spare battery to have on hand as well.

By reading this thread, it seems most of you have had a pretty good experience with the 9116. And even though it has some problems, 9116 owners have been able to look past that and really get some great enjoyment out of this machine.

I look forward to joining the ownership club
HuskySpade is offline Find More Posts by HuskySpade
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:50 PM
Micro Menace
Joined Aug 2012
492 Posts
OK boys, my 9116 got caught on a low branch and took a 7' nose dive onto my driveway. Besides further trashing my alreadu cracked canopy, the only other noticable damage was a bent shaft.

The problem now is that the tail motor runs at full throttle when the main blade spin regardless of stick position. I was thinking I probably need a new board but was hoping someone else had this issue and was able to fix it.
Budasac is offline Find More Posts by Budasac
Last edited by Budasac; Oct 07, 2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 04:37 PM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningupthathil View Post
In addition, would these arms fit 9116 stock servos?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...o_Arm_Set.html
Sorry, have you really read my post?
first link shows these.....
-mike-
mikefromgermany is online now Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:14 PM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskySpade View Post
I've ordered a 9116 this weekend for guaranteed delivery on Tuesday, October 9th!

Pretty excited about this bird and it will be the fourth in my fleet. I have a couple coaxials and when I was ready to step up to the next level, I decided to go with a WL V911 as my first 4ch. And while its an excellent heli, i've had this deep down desire to fly a bigger bird. Hence why I pulled the trigger on a 9116. I figured it requires the same skill level that the V911 does, its just fulfills that desire of flying a bigger helicopter.

I don't intend on this helicopter to be a daily flyer, I've got my V911 for that. More so, "the bigger bird to fly outside on nicer days" sort of helicopter.

Im aware of the weak tail motor issues. But fortunately, replacement tails cost about $4.99 from TMart, and it appears to be a relatively easy and inexpensive fix to make (no soldering from what I understand?). Also considering this won't be a daily flyer, I hope that i'll get a few decent flights over a couple weeks from this thing before having to make the repair.

In anticipation of the repair, I plan to order a replacement tail motor and some parts for this machine on my next payday. I also plan to order a spare battery to have on hand as well.

By reading this thread, it seems most of you have had a pretty good experience with the 9116. And even though it has some problems, 9116 owners have been able to look past that and really get some great enjoyment out of this machine.

I look forward to joining the ownership club
Don't be dissapointed if you fly the 9116 after being used the V911 - there are worlds between them both in characteristics. The 9116 is like a loaded truck and the 911 is agile as a .. Porsche 911.
But anyway you'll get some fun out of it, regardless of its flaws - just fly it gentle and easy on the sticks - much more like scale-flying. You'll have to think much more ahead flying the 9116 because of its fatigue - it needs much more time to react to stick input.
If you want to save some money you can order spares of the DH9100 as well - they are absolutely identical to the 9116-parts, only swash and PCB have to be the 9116 ones.
I order them at banggood - they never had let me down yet and are quite cheap.
http://www.banggood.com/buy/double%2...0-0_page1.html
to keep this bird in the air for the next 2 months you probably will need:
2* Hollow Pipe, Helicopter Part 9100-8 (they bend quite easy if you crash - if just slightly bent - bad vibrations occur)
2* Inner Shalf, Helicopter Part 9100-6 (same as above - but can be repaired if pivot pins are sheared off )
1* canopy
2* Chopper Tail Unit, Helicopter Part 9100-14 (They don't last long - 50 flights in my experience)
1* Balance Bar, Helicopter Part 9100-1 (bends quite easy if it smashes your canopy or tail - can be straightened out if you are careful)
1* Main Motor Part 9100-10 (regular wear and tear)
1* set of main blades
and hopefully you will not need a new PCB - the quality in soldering and QC is awful to non existent

You can try to get defective used 9116 at ebay or buy unchecked customer returns like I did - 8 9116 in one month - just bought to cannibalise for spares - 15-20 bucks a piece including TX, charger etc... and found out that only one of these 8 could not be easy repaired - so I sold all but two to my friends and neighbours. (and still needed spares )
So now I'm the maintenance guy for the whole neighbourhood regarding the 9116 - never my workbench is empty ....
-mike-
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:29 PM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post
OK boys, my 9116 got cought on a low branch and took a 7' nose dive onto my driveway. Besides further trashing my alreadu cracked canopy, the only other noticable damage was a bent shaft.

The problem now is that the tail motor runs at full throttle when the main blade spin regardless of stick position. I was thinking I probably need a new board but was hoping someone else had this issue and was able to fix it.
Yes, its your PCB.
Maybe you are lucky - just give the soldered pads of the gyro a little touch with an iron.
If no effort - you'll need a new PCB. sorry mate.
-mike-
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:23 PM
Micro Menace
Joined Aug 2012
492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromgermany View Post
Yes, its your PCB.
Maybe you are lucky - just give the soldered pads of the gyro a little touch with an iron.
If no effort - you'll need a new PCB. sorry mate.
-mike-
I did as you said, No joy. Ordered a new PCB. should be here by fri. Hopefully the canopy and tail boom that I ordered previously from oversees gets here this week also.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:29 PM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post
I did as you said, No joy. Ordered a new PCB. should be here by fri. Hopefully the canopy and tail boom that I ordered previously from oversees gets here this week also.
no good news
If you get the new canopy stick a patch of some adhesive tape where the flybar would hit it. I use a clear, glass-fibre reinforced tape for it - near to invisible and bears some beating from the flybar
-mike-
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:09 PM
Joined Sep 2012
85 Posts
Quote:
Don't be dissapointed if you fly the 9116 after being used the V911 - there are worlds between them both in characteristics. The 9116 is like a loaded truck and the 911 is agile as a .. Porsche 911.
But anyway you'll get some fun out of it, regardless of its flaws - just fly it gentle and easy on the sticks - much more like scale-flying. You'll have to think much more ahead flying the 9116 because of its fatigue - it needs much more time to react to stick input.
If you want to save some money you can order spares of the DH9100 as well - they are absolutely identical to the 9116-parts, only swash and PCB have to be the 9116 ones.
I order them at banggood - they never had let me down yet and are quite cheap.
http://www.banggood.com/buy/double%2...0-0_page1.html
to keep this bird in the air for the next 2 months you probably will need:
2* Hollow Pipe, Helicopter Part 9100-8 (they bend quite easy if you crash - if just slightly bent - bad vibrations occur)
2* Inner Shalf, Helicopter Part 9100-6 (same as above - but can be repaired if pivot pins are sheared off )
1* canopy
2* Chopper Tail Unit, Helicopter Part 9100-14 (They don't last long - 50 flights in my experience)
1* Balance Bar, Helicopter Part 9100-1 (bends quite easy if it smashes your canopy or tail - can be straightened out if you are careful)
1* Main Motor Part 9100-10 (regular wear and tear)
1* set of main blades
and hopefully you will not need a new PCB - the quality in soldering and QC is awful to non existent

You can try to get defective used 9116 at ebay or buy unchecked customer returns like I did - 8 9116 in one month - just bought to cannibalise for spares - 15-20 bucks a piece including TX, charger etc... and found out that only one of these 8 could not be easy repaired - so I sold all but two to my friends and neighbours. (and still needed spares )
So now I'm the maintenance guy for the whole neighbourhood regarding the 9116 - never my workbench is empty ....
-mike-
Thanks Mike, for the great write up! Its good to know what parts to have on hand. I will begin building my collection of repair parts soon, to ensure maximum enjoyment out of the 9116.

I haven't had the V911 for long, so I haven't flown it much. That being said, I don't have much to go off of actually. I anticipated due to the size of the 9116 that it would handle differently, so my expectations are much more reasonable for the 9116 then most seem to think. I don't expect it to perform like the V911 the least bit because its bigger. Maneuvers are going to take longer, and the machine will be slower to respond to stick commands.

I do very much appreciate the heads up on flying it. It's always good to hear from other pilots that have flown this helicopter.

I'm excited to get this bird into the air. And since I'm not completely conditioned to the V911, I feel the clean slate will allow me to get ahold of this bird much more efficiently than if I was used to flying a micro helicopter all the time.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:14 AM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,426 Posts
And you'll be able to use the 9116-TX for your 911 with some advantages for it, too!
-mike-
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:46 AM
Joined Sep 2012
85 Posts
Quote:
And you'll be able to use the 9116-TX for your 911 with some advantages for it, too!
-mike-
I heard this was possible! And i'm really excited to try it out because I feel the 9116 Tx has a little bit more to offer than the V911 Tx.

The procedure that needs to be followed is:

RUD and AIL on the 9116 Tx need to be switched from REV to NOR in order for it to properly control the V911. And then switch back from NOR to REV to control the 9116.

Is this correct?
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:20 PM
Joined Oct 2012
11 Posts
9116 upgrades

Hey 9116 flyers,
I have come up with a wonderful and relatively inexpensive upgrade kit for the 9116. I have the xtreme 180 pro motor with ball bearings, I am running an xtreme 850mAh 25C 7.4 battery and last but certainly not least is my pride and joy a tail motor that took quite a bit of research and testing to discover. This tail motor is so powerful I cannot get this bird to sway her tail even if I punch it from standing still to full throttle, she just lifts into the air. I wanted to share so I put a few on ebay. I do the full upgrades on my repair site rchelicopterrepairservice.com check me out!

Picture of the tail motor:
http://www.rchelicopterrepairservice...o-Gallery.html
skullywack is offline Find More Posts by skullywack
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:41 PM
Wow, the sky is clear
Canada, QC, Chicoutimi
Joined Aug 2012
634 Posts
Upgrade kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullywack View Post
Hey 9116 flyers,
I have come up with a wonderful and relatively inexpensive upgrade kit for the 9116. I have the xtreme 180 pro motor with ball bearings, I am running an xtreme 850mAh 25C 7.4 battery and last but certainly not least is my pride and joy a tail motor that took quite a bit of research and testing to discover. This tail motor is so powerful I cannot get this bird to sway her tail even if I punch it from standing still to full throttle, she just lifts into the air. I wanted to share so I put a few on ebay. I do the full upgrades on my repair site rchelicopterrepairservice.com check me out!

Picture of the tail motor:
http://www.rchelicopterrepairservice...o-Gallery.html
How to find it on Ebay ?

Bye Gilles
OrangeBird is online now Find More Posts by OrangeBird
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:52 PM
Micro Menace
Joined Aug 2012
492 Posts
I can't find it now, but I saw that listing the other day. I think he wanted $99 for a an Extreme main motor, lipo, and no name tail motor (F45 replacement?) with a heatsink.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:55 PM
Micro Menace
Joined Aug 2012
492 Posts
Quote:
I heard this was possible! And i'm really excited to try it out because I feel the 9116 Tx has a little bit more to offer than the V911 Tx.

RUD and AIL on the 9116 Tx need to be switched from REV to NOR in order for it to properly control the V911. And then switch back from NOR to REV to control the 9116.

Is this correct?
That is correct. The only issue we have found so far is that the RUD trim doesn't seem to work. All other trims seem to however.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:33 PM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,426 Posts
Quote:

Is this correct?
Yes - you may also set the DR to 120%
-mike-
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread