HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:20 PM
United States, IL, Marseilles
Joined Jul 2012
26 Posts
Looks like so far the E-Flite retracts are the choice. Am on my way to pick up the P-47 at the LHS & will get the E-Flite retracts & pre bent gear legs with it. Thanks for the comments.
benj38 is online now Find More Posts by benj38
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:26 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benj38 View Post
Looks like so far the E-Flite retracts are the choice. Am on my way to pick up the P-47 at the LHS & will get the E-Flite retracts & pre bent gear legs with it. Thanks for the comments.
After you mount everything check the toe in of the wheels!! The pre bent gear I got had the flat spot so far off that I had 10*+ toe in on both wheels! I had to JBweld the struts to fill the flat spot, dremel that area round again, and then finally cut my own flat spots into the legs. I would have been MUCH better off just using the universal silver ones that came with the retracts.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:31 PM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,378 Posts
The prebent wire are not that much of help. Just use stock ones from the retracts. Cut the exess lenght and done. In fact mine stll with a "pipi" down from the wheel cover. I did not do anithing to my retract wires. Just locktie the asle not even the flat spot was do
DaxFX is offline Find More Posts by DaxFX
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:25 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,211 Posts
Plus 1 on the standard struts, no prebents on either of my sets, both work great with over a 100 flights on each....
scootrb4 is online now Find More Posts by scootrb4
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:19 AM
Joined Nov 2010
349 Posts
I don't count my flights, but I have flown the P47 well beyond what I expected from it (without having to replace anything but props). The airframe looks tired, and I have had to epoxy cracks in the wing root, but it still flies like it is new. While I keep flying this bird, I bought a replacement airframe so I can begin building its replacement. I am going to use HS82mg servos for the rudder and elevator, HS55s for flaps, a 50 amp phoenix lite esc, and a pz 300 prop. I am going to stay with a 3s system, so I might just go with the stock motor. Does anybody have any recommendations for a motor and (premium) ailerons servos?
ufale is offline Find More Posts by ufale
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:26 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufale View Post
I don't count my flights, but I have flown the P47 well beyond what I expected from it (without having to replace anything but props). The airframe looks tired, and I have had to epoxy cracks in the wing root, but it still flies like it is new. While I keep flying this bird, I bought a replacement airframe so I can begin building its replacement. I am going to use HS82mg servos for the rudder and elevator, HS55s for flaps, a 50 amp phoenix lite esc, and a pz 300 prop. I am going to stay with a 3s system, so I might just go with the stock motor. Does anybody have any recommendations for a motor and (premium) ailerons servos?
If you are staying on 3S and want a little more speed you could put a Power25 1250kv motor on it. With 3S and that Extra prop I'd imagine it'd be well under the 50Amps of the CC ESC. Maybe someone here who's tried this setup will chime in on actual Amps.

Check out this nice motor mount as well.

I was going to do this exact power setup myself. Or use the 870kv and the HobbyLobby 4 blade prop.

-Brian
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:21 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2011
1,081 Posts
HS-65 karbonite gears would be good for aileron servos, but I've used the stock servos for a while, and they work fine.
copperbricks is offline Find More Posts by copperbricks
Old Sep 17, 2012, 05:37 PM
United States, CO
Joined Aug 2011
107 Posts
Quote:
Once, I stripped one of my stock alieron servos on landing, (uncommanded gear retraction due to a shoddy connector) and just replaced both with HS-65MGs. It's probably overkill for a stock P-47, (plus Extra prop, flaps, and retracts) but they work perfectly and I don't have to worry about it.

Just my $0.02,
Joe
Red Cat Joe is offline Find More Posts by Red Cat Joe
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:24 PM
Joined Nov 2010
349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Cat Joe View Post
Once, I stripped one of my stock alieron servos on landing, (uncommanded gear retraction due to a shoddy connector) and just replaced both with HS-65MGs. It's probably overkill for a stock P-47, (plus Extra prop, flaps, and retracts) but they work perfectly and I don't have to worry about it.

Just my $0.02,
Joe
I just ordered 6 of the HS 65 Karbonite servos (thanks Copper). I have never had a parkzone servo fail (only in Eflite...the infamous Carbon Yak servos), but these premium servos are not that much more expensive. Since I am putting in my own electronics, I figure it's better to be safe than sorry.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:25 PM
Joined Nov 2010
349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
If you are staying on 3S and want a little more speed you could put a Power25 1250kv motor on it. With 3S and that Extra prop I'd imagine it'd be well under the 50Amps of the CC ESC. Maybe someone here who's tried this setup will chime in on actual Amps.

I was going to do this exact power setup myself. Or use the 870kv and the HobbyLobby 4 blade prop.

-Brian
Good suggestion! I ordered the motor mount.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:59 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperbricks View Post
HS-65 karbonite gears would be good for aileron servos, but I've used the stock servos for a while, and they work fine.
Plus 1 on these strong little dudes at 25 oz/inch. I use them in a 1.4m 100mph (alleged) plane with no trouble .... can also use them on the elevator and rudder in these foamies .
scootrb4 is online now Find More Posts by scootrb4
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:51 AM
Joined Nov 2010
349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post

-Brian
I happen to have the 870kv motor. Which 4 blade prop do you recommend?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:38 AM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,660 Posts
Quote:
I don't have that motor but I think I've seen this one referenced a couple times.

If it performs even half as good as it looks it will be great!

-Brian
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:11 AM
ronht
Joined Sep 2009
415 Posts
I put a CNC motor mount and an Eflite Power 25 with the 4 bladed prop referenced above in mine after the first flight and have been grinning ever since. This is one of the best planes Horizon ever released and with the extra performance of the Power 25, it is simply eye-watering.
ronht is offline Find More Posts by ronht
Last edited by ronht; Sep 19, 2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:13 AM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
Quote:
I like the APC 11x9x4 cut down to 10"
jtaylor996 is offline Find More Posts by jtaylor996