HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2009, 06:03 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Riverside, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
Sorry about this build thread stopping cold. I got sidetracked and then when the big wind event came I scrambled to finish it without taking pictures. I will continue it on the next build and have a revision on the elevator horn Im sure once I get the tailcones.
The model fly's perfect! There are no bad tendencies even in light 15 to 20mph wind. It DSes great at low speeds and loves to go fast. I really spoke too soon on this one. She is a winner. I missed the bulk of this last wind event but flew it at Norco up to 260mph. It has zero wingflex at that speed and Im quite sure 2 to 3 lbs of ballast can be added without overloading the wing. It is stiff! Im very happy with it. It is ready for the big show. Bring on the wind!!!! Oh, BTW, the AUW is 119oz. with my battery and receiver in the belly. I could move it forward Im sure and get it down to 110 or so but no need. It was climbing out like a TD plane. You guy's are going to love this model.
joe manor is offline Find More Posts by joe manor
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2009, 06:27 PM
Just Fly it
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jul 2006
2,047 Posts
Ooo K

I guess i will get one. Actually i cant wait to even see one. Very Good Joe. Look forward to you doing the demo flight for us.
John

PS, i have been waiting impatiently, and have already an order in.
Indubitably is offline Find More Posts by Indubitably
Last edited by Indubitably; Nov 23, 2009 at 12:58 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 04:42 PM
{A life in the wind=~-
Santa Clara, California
Joined Aug 2003
1,081 Posts
Let me know when it's time to pick colors!

Actually for me, the highest visibility is white wing w/red tips + red/white stripes on the bottom.

-=Vern
invictarocks is offline Find More Posts by invictarocks
Old Nov 05, 2009, 01:00 AM
Mach 0.261 ... Hiccup of Wiggy
Wiggy Poo, England!
Joined Mar 2006
1,258 Posts
wassszuuuup Joe!
More please!
Geo420 is offline Find More Posts by Geo420
Old Nov 05, 2009, 07:43 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
Working at the real job now. I will have servos next week and continue this thread with a new build.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 03:08 PM
Ask me about VTPR
America
Joined Aug 2002
2,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe manor View Post
Oh, BTW, the AUW is 119oz. with my battery and receiver in the belly. I could move it forward Im sure and get it down to 110 or so but no need. It was climbing out like a TD plane. You guy's are going to love this model.
VERY nice Joe! This is a fantastic model your producing. Quality is top drawer and by the sound of your report an awesome flyer. Would you be able to publish some of the basic specifications of the plane for us finicky frontsiders to look over? Minimum WL is a top consideration for us in light to medium lift conditions. I would sure like to get into one of these if it can fly at my preferred slope. More info and pricing please.

Thanks, Eric
oldscooler is offline Find More Posts by oldscooler
Old Nov 20, 2009, 08:09 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hweeler View Post
VERY nice Joe! This is a fantastic model your producing. Quality is top drawer and by the sound of your report an awesome flyer. Would you be able to publish some of the basic specifications of the plane for us finicky frontsiders to look over? Minimum WL is a top consideration for us in light to medium lift conditions. I would sure like to get into one of these if it can fly at my preferred slope. More info and pricing please.

Thanks, Eric
Thanks for your interest Eric. The models are $1400. I have slimmed them down as much as I would like to as I need these models to ba able to go 400mph and that will always be a requirement. I have a few prototypes and they are very stiff in all the right places. As far as light air is concerned I dont think a D80 is practical. The D40 works very well and the new flapped D40 is even better than the old. The soon to come D60 will work very well for frontside as well. These two models have different airfoils than the D80. I dont really have all the specs yet. Soon enough though. I will be putting together a model next week and will share it here.

Joe
Old Nov 20, 2009, 08:45 PM
{A life in the wind=~-
Santa Clara, California
Joined Aug 2003
1,081 Posts
I could have used a D60 today - Gusting to 50+ in some really rough air in front of the small storm that hit the SF Bay area this morning.

I was just thinking - 'Man, I hope Joe makes a 60"!
invictarocks is offline Find More Posts by invictarocks
Old Nov 20, 2009, 08:53 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by invictarocks View Post
I could have used a D60 today - Gusting to 50+ in some really rough air in front of the small storm that hit the SF Bay area this morning.

I was just thinking - 'Man, I hope Joe makes a 60"!
It's coming soon. It will be a fun model for sure.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 11:03 PM
Joined Sep 2004
296 Posts
For everyone waiting to get their hands on one these new babies from Joe you are going to be SO stoked when you get yours!!!!

I was lucky enough to get to turn a few laps with Joe's D80 this morning and it flies so well it is just plane stupid. Think nice and light feeling so it is responsive yet solid as a truck and really, really smooth...

My guess is there is going to be some very happy people pretty soon.

Thanks again Joe for a turn on the sticks of the "community plane", I can't wait to get one of my own.

Cheers,
Chris
chris_b is offline Find More Posts by chris_b
Old Nov 22, 2009, 12:12 PM
Leicestershire
Joined Sep 2006
1,184 Posts
how does it feel compared to say an MCT Chris? Interested in your point of view as someone who has just had their first try on it... I'm starting to FEEL the temptation!

Thanks

Zim
Zimodile is offline Find More Posts by Zimodile
Old Nov 22, 2009, 02:16 PM
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Feb 2004
397 Posts
I just received my D-80 (thanks so so much Joe!) and it is stiffer then I could imagine. I can literally place each tip on a table and put 200 lb on the wing with minimal flex. And the surfaces are super stiff as well. This plane is the fastest production model under 80" and will give the fastest planes in the world a run for their money. It will go 400 no problem when the conditions are there.

I flew this model for a few hundred laps in moderate conditions yesterday... 235 max and it was effortless. Knowing it was a model in the same price range as the competition it was my only choice for my next model because I do not want to be limited by the airframe.

One happy d-80 owner

Paul
Flyboypaul is online now Find More Posts by Flyboypaul
Old Nov 22, 2009, 04:01 PM
The sky is my playground
Near the Ocean in Hunt. Beach Calif.
Joined Apr 2006
999 Posts
Paul, What is the AUW you ended up with on your new ship? Joe said he has
one at 119 0z and that will be the number Im shooting for. Oh and needless to say congradulations on your speed . This
new model is going to be great for the masses and at an affordable price!! Jimmi
flyboyjimi is offline Find More Posts by flyboyjimi
Old Nov 23, 2009, 12:36 AM
Joined Sep 2004
296 Posts
I can only back up what Paul said, we both were lucky enough to turn some laps with the new plane yesterday and it feels so silky smooth and solid it is hard to describe.

As far as how stiff the plane is I can't give you any scientific results just the usuall Joe Manor kinds of tests that you do when you visit him which go something like this: "Grab the wing and place the tip on the table now put your weight into it and see how little it flexes, now grab the aileron and try to twist it, hey grab the horizontal stabilizer and try to twist it, here let me get a hammer so we can beat on that thing...".

All of that being said the plane is so much stiffer than any production plane I have ever held I don't even know what to compare it too. We flew last week in some chopy Santa Ana conditions at Norco, where you could visibly see the wing on an MCT that flew flexing and we were all commenting on how when the D-80 flew it just looked super solid with no visable flexing. I am not saying this to take anything away from the Opus, because they are obviously a well proven design, but they don't even come close to being as stiff as a D-80.

One thing that should probably be mentioned is the wing on one of these planes is so thick that just based on it's mass it is going to be stiffer because of the increased cross section of all of the components that go into it, I guess what I am trying to say is they are really, really beefy.

Hanging out with Joe one thing becomes apparent pretty quickly and that is that he is really proud of this design, and he should be - the plane is truly a great design.

If you are on the fence about ordering one, just pony up the cash and do it!!! You won''t be sorry.

Cheers,
Chris
chris_b is offline Find More Posts by chris_b
Old Nov 23, 2009, 01:48 AM
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Feb 2004
397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyjimi View Post
Paul, What is the AUW you ended up with on your new ship? Joe said he has
one at 119 0z and that will be the number Im shooting for. Oh and needless to say congradulations on your speed . This
new model is going to be great for the masses and at an affordable price!! Jimmi
the model I flew was joes, mine is not built yet but will be shortly. I will post a weight when it is built.

Paul
Flyboypaul is online now Find More Posts by Flyboypaul