Find More Posts by gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
25,094 Posts
Discussion
J7W1 Shinden...

This got started in the Foam-EZ thread ....Its a WW2 Japanese fighter that got a total of 45 min. air time .... Would have been faster than the Mustang ....
So here's a Simple Profile model of the Shinden, based on the flyability of the Foam EZ and some old plans I drew 25 yeas ago ...smallish , light , cd motor ... oughta' be a Rocket ....
free plans , of course at www.FoamFly.com/gallery/Glen
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2006, 07:54 AM
gpw
Find More Posts by gpw
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
25,094 Posts
Sorry , I forgot to mention .... not for beginners......Really !!!
Old Jun 27, 2006, 09:14 AM
Find More Posts by BeavrdamElectric
Beaverdam Creek, VA
Joined Aug 2005
2,322 Posts
Looks pretty cool, GPW!! "Airfoil optional", heh!

Good Luck!
BeavrdamElectric is offline Find More Posts by BeavrdamElectric
Old Jun 27, 2006, 07:56 PM
gpw
Find More Posts by gpw
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
25,094 Posts
Shinden ... the chuck glider .... How does it glide .... nice and flat , and straight ahead...My best glide CG was about 3/4" in front of the apex of the wing where it meets the fuse in the front .... about the same place as the Foam EZ....

You can see the skewer under the wing (spar ) from fin to fin ....and the two that reinforce the nose .... a little dark green paint and they'll disappear...pretty rugged ...survived glide testing eh ??? no wrinkles ...
Old Jun 27, 2006, 08:07 PM
Find More Posts by snolord1
Krued Up
United States, MA, Springfield
Joined Jul 2004
4,619 Posts
noooooo,not another one,damn you
snolord1 is offline Find More Posts by snolord1
Old Jun 28, 2006, 07:53 AM
gpw
Find More Posts by gpw
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
25,094 Posts
Sno , Sorry !!! I finally got my Escape Pod (TD trailer) almost finished which freed UP time to start building more Foamies .... and worse , the canard bait was thrown out and I went for it ...Love Canards !!!! The many Shindens that we built in the past were of a similar size , but had built UP Balsa fuselages and Ace Foam Wings...and screaming pressurized Tee Dee's on the rear.... All were very fast and flew about 3-4 min , or until the 1 oz.tank went dry ...(ah , Fuel ???) Models displayed No bad habits ... and power off , slowed down to ridiculously low speeds (no stalls ), even at their 18-20 oz weights @ 200 sq. in. and the 4oz. mini radio of 20 years ago .
The new one should fall out at about 6-7 oz range , with nice 700 lipos (2 0r 3 cell)
A GB cd motor should push this beyond vertical easily , even on two cells ...
Glide tests were so favorable (no wind ) that ALL(once the CG was found ) attempts resulted in Loooooong straight flat glides .... tailheavy was a little mushy , no stall , nose heavy descended rapidly , nose down ... predictible ....
Purposely left the front "gear door " on so I'd have more area for equiptment mounting ...but no landing gear ... due to our rough grass field.... CD motor mount will be a piece of cedar arrowshaft of the correct size...pointed slightly UP in the rear (downthrust ) since the thrust is above the wing .... way above the wing ...
A trip to the LHS should produce a "spit bomb" of the perfect dark green and red colors ....Undersiden' will be left Foamie Blue .....sans printing
I Know this will NOT be a "popular" plan(I don't CARE!!!), but for the canard guys (and you know who you are )I think you'll really enjoy this simple Foamie electric version of an old design ....
It should not be tricky to build or fly for someone with flying experience , the efficiency and resulting higher speeds may be tough on new pilots , and forget about the Luxury of the spare nose .... when canards crash , guess what's out in front ....But at only 5 pieces , I can build one in under an hour , while watching Charlie's Angels reruns on the Lobotomy Box....hahahahahahaha
Old Jun 28, 2006, 05:24 PM
Find More Posts by chara
registered foam addict
Munich, Bavaria
Joined Dec 2004
1,265 Posts
I always loved the Shinden! great! keep posting
chara is offline Find More Posts by chara
Old Jun 28, 2006, 06:14 PM
Krued Up
Joined Jul 2004
4,619 Posts
Alright keep posting,you got me hooked.

trying something a lil diff.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 09:12 PM
gpw
Find More Posts by gpw
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
25,094 Posts
Here's the latest pics ... a little Sharpie pen and some red craft paint from the Wal mart .... Also shown is the radio installation ... I'd make some changes already... move the aileron servo UP in the front instead of where I have it ... using a long 3 wire extension on the motor , thereby moving the esc in front of the CG ....that will eliminate the lump of clay I still need to balance...
Also you can see the fiberglass tape over the motor stick .... that's where I broke the fuselage installing a tight motor ... DUH !!!! I should have used the long chopstick mount which would reinforce the rear of the fuse without much weight gain .... Speaking of weight ... AUW without battery /clay is 4.8 oz. I think it will have PLENTY of power with the 15t/26awg GBcdand 3s700/7x4...Ready to maiden ... It sure glides good !!!!

This is the flying prototype ... the V2 will reflect all the additional changes ..... if this one flies ....hahahahaha
Old Jun 28, 2006, 09:37 PM
Find More Posts by Thatovalguy
Foam rules
HdG Md.
Joined Jan 2003
4,914 Posts
Wow nice, If it fly's as good as it looks you got a winner there.
Thatovalguy is offline Find More Posts by Thatovalguy
Old Jun 28, 2006, 09:43 PM
Find More Posts by SaMx
I'm dangerously carefree
Media, Pa/Blacksburg Va
Joined Oct 2004
1,238 Posts
Snolord-
Balsa?!?! AHHHH!! TRAITOR!!!

Just kidding, it looks like a lot of fun.
SaMx is offline Find More Posts by SaMx
Old Jun 28, 2006, 09:56 PM
Krued Up
Joined Jul 2004
4,619 Posts
i know but like i said,i guess i want the best of both worlds.don't worry,foamie is #1 in my book.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 04:03 AM
Find More Posts by jonesymj
Slopeosapien
Joined Jun 2006
861 Posts
gpw: You found the plans!! I'm building one.... As soon as I get back from vacation!!
jonesymj is offline Find More Posts by jonesymj
Old Jun 29, 2006, 06:31 AM
gpw
Find More Posts by gpw
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
25,094 Posts
Guys , Thanks for the words of encouragement... The maiden will be Sat morn . weather permitting...but I don't see a problem cause' we're in a drought (18 inches below our normal rainfall )...Usually it rains lightly every afternoon in the summer... but global warming has apparently changed all that ... now we have flying weather every day , all day long ... good for flying , lousy for plants and small animals...
As my contribution to Global warming , I'm back on track how to inexpensively convert my bikes to electric ... all I need is a 400-500W motor ...with battery technology improving so rapidly , it will be practical soon .... as long as it doesn't rain ...

Even if you don't build the powered version of the Sinden , The chuck glider sure is FUN.... and a real easy build too .... Decorate the parts before you assemble them ...it's so much easier that way ...
Old Jun 29, 2006, 07:04 AM
Find More Posts by Thatovalguy
Foam rules
HdG Md.
Joined Jan 2003
4,914 Posts
YEh thanks you sent all the rain here gpw. At least the grass is growing. Good luck.
Thatovalguy is offline Find More Posts by Thatovalguy