New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old Nov 25, 2015, 06:53 PM
awrightbrother is online now
Find More Posts by awrightbrother
Wowplanes.com
awrightbrother's Avatar
Florida
Joined Nov 2007
2,787 Posts
New Product
B29 Superfortress from Wowplane - 83" span

Hello friends,
I have been working on the design of my next kit for the past month or so. It is finally at the point where I can start cutting the parts and build the first one.

Its going to be an 83" span B-29 Superfortress.

First thing I did was to make a Custom Stand that fits the cross section of the fuselage. Being a round shape, it will tend to roll around during the build and get dinged. I also use these stands at the field.

I made the stand from 3 pieces of 2" thick foam, glued together with hot melt glue. The semi-circles on the vertical members are cut 1/2" more than the dia of the fuse. Then I cut and glued 2 pieces of foam mattress liner to soften the surface that would be in contact with the fuselage.

Fahim
awrightbrother is online now Find More Posts by awrightbrother
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2015, 06:59 PM
borntoolate is offline
Find More Posts by borntoolate
Bomber Bob
borntoolate's Avatar
United States, CA, Cupertino
Joined Mar 2012
2,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrightbrother View Post
Hello friends,
I have been working on the design of my next kit for the past month or so. It is finally at the point where I can start cutting the parts and build the first one.

Its going to be an 83" span B-29 Superfortress.

First thing I did was to make a Custom Stand that fits the cross section of the fuselage. Being a round shape, it will tend to roll around during the build and get dinged. I also use these stands at the field.

I made the stand from 3 pieces of 2" thick foam, glued together with hot melt glue. The semi-circles on the vertical members are cut 1/2" more than the dia of the fuse. Then I cut and glued 2 pieces of foam mattress liner to soften the surface that would be in contact with the fuselage.

Fahim
Watching and learning!!

bob
borntoolate is offline Find More Posts by borntoolate
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS B-25 bomb bay mod
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2015, 07:04 PM
raipe is online now
Find More Posts by raipe
Registered User
raipe's Avatar
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
771 Posts
Subbed in. Love to follow your builds!

raipe
raipe is online now Find More Posts by raipe
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2015, 08:10 AM
mike2663 is online now
Find More Posts by mike2663
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
mike2663's Avatar
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
7,188 Posts
Should be interesting.

Mike
mike2663 is online now Find More Posts by mike2663
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2015, 08:39 AM
jhspring is offline
Find More Posts by jhspring
Oh no, not again!
jhspring's Avatar
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
6,151 Posts
Always a delight to follow your builds, Fahim. You powering all 4 this time or going 2 + 2, like the Lanc?

Regards,
Jeff
jhspring is offline Find More Posts by jhspring
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2015, 08:26 PM
awrightbrother is online now
Find More Posts by awrightbrother
Wowplanes.com
awrightbrother's Avatar
Florida
Joined Nov 2007
2,787 Posts
Hi Guys
Good to know you are there. I ate turkey and slept for the better part of the afternoon yesterday, so not much progress. But today I did manage to cut the fuselage.


It will be made from 3 foam parts: the tail that is an asymmetrical cone, the mid fuse where the wing attaches that is a round cylinder, and finally the lower half of the nose that will be a solid block.
awrightbrother is online now Find More Posts by awrightbrother
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2015, 08:27 PM
borntoolate is offline
Find More Posts by borntoolate
Bomber Bob
borntoolate's Avatar
United States, CA, Cupertino
Joined Mar 2012
2,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrightbrother View Post
Hi Guys
Good to know you are there. I ate turkey and slept for the better part of the afternoon yesterday, so not much progress. But today I did manage to cut the fuselage.


It will be made from 3 foam parts: the tail that is an asymmetrical cone, the mid fuse where the wing attaches that is a round cylinder, and finally the lower half of the nose that will be a solid block.
Looking good so far!
borntoolate is offline Find More Posts by borntoolate
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS B-25 bomb bay mod
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2015, 12:43 PM
BigBRC1 is offline
Find More Posts by BigBRC1
Registered User
United States, CA, Burbank
Joined Nov 2011
116 Posts
Question about the wing

Fahim,
Looking at the fuse, it looks like two wing halves will attach to the sides of the fuse or will the halves be glues together and attached to a reinforced saddle? From experience, a one piece wing is much easier to transport and assemble.
BigBRC1 is offline Find More Posts by BigBRC1
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2015, 03:47 PM
awrightbrother is online now
Find More Posts by awrightbrother
Wowplanes.com
awrightbrother's Avatar
Florida
Joined Nov 2007
2,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBRC1 View Post
Fahim,
Looking at the fuse, it looks like two wing halves will attach to the sides of the fuse or will the halves be glues together and attached to a reinforced saddle? From experience, a one piece wing is much easier to transport and assemble.
Several ways to do it based on transportation preference of the builder. What we see in the picture is the mid- section of the wing that sits in the wing saddle of the fuse.
To build a 1 piece removable wing, the outer panels are glued to the mid section, which is then attached to the fuse with dowels and a wing retaining bolt.
If transportation of a 83" wing is a problem, them it can be built as a 3 piece. The mid section being attached to the fuse as described above, while the outer panels slide on to a spar from either side.
awrightbrother is online now Find More Posts by awrightbrother
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2015, 04:23 PM
BigBRC1 is offline
Find More Posts by BigBRC1
Registered User
United States, CA, Burbank
Joined Nov 2011
116 Posts
That explained it! Thanks, Fahim.
BigBRC1 is offline Find More Posts by BigBRC1
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2015, 07:01 PM
addictedtoplanes is online now
Find More Posts by addictedtoplanes
and helis!
addictedtoplanes's Avatar
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Jun 2012
822 Posts
Man...I've spent several years drooling over your planes Fahim, looks like I'm gonna have to bite the bullet on this one.
addictedtoplanes is online now Find More Posts by addictedtoplanes
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2015, 10:18 AM
awrightbrother is online now
Find More Posts by awrightbrother
Wowplanes.com
awrightbrother's Avatar
Florida
Joined Nov 2007
2,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtoplanes View Post
Man...I've spent several years drooling over your planes Fahim, looks like I'm gonna have to bite the bullet on this one.

Go for it addictedtoplanes!
I am an ex-Guelphite or is it Guelphian? Lived on Edinburgh Rd.
awrightbrother is online now Find More Posts by awrightbrother
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2015, 07:34 PM
awrightbrother is online now
Find More Posts by awrightbrother
Wowplanes.com
awrightbrother's Avatar
Florida
Joined Nov 2007
2,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhspring View Post
Always a delight to follow your builds, Fahim. You powering all 4 this time or going 2 + 2, like the Lanc?

Regards,
Jeff
Jeff,
I must have missed your post and question. This time I am going with 4 motors.
Fahim
awrightbrother is online now Find More Posts by awrightbrother
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2015, 07:43 AM
mike2663 is online now
Find More Posts by mike2663
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
mike2663's Avatar
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
7,188 Posts
Looking good.

Mike
mike2663 is online now Find More Posts by mike2663
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log Avro Lancaster 81" span from Wowplanes awrightbrother Scale Kit/Scratch Built 276 Oct 05, 2015 09:50 AM
Sold NEW IN BOX Giant Robbe Cap 21, 83.5" span- just $149 plus shipping shooboy Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 7 Aug 17, 2015 10:54 AM
Cool The last Airworthy B29 Superfortress Dizzy5 Chit Chat 6 Jun 23, 2012 08:30 AM
Sold Boeing B-29 Superfortress 80" span kit - brand new in perfect condition SPasierb Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Sep 20, 2010 09:30 AM