New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2015, 07:57 PM
Find More Posts by suman
United States, KS, Lawrence
Joined Mar 2000
61 Posts
Help!
CO2 motor question

Greetings, and Happy New Year to all model airplane nuts/fans.

I had a quick question: what size CO2 cartridge (bulb) fits the common CO2 chargers (Telco, Modela, Junior, eta)? Is it the 8-gram cartridge? If so, what brand? Threaded or unthreaded? I see many of these online, but I am not sure which ones to buy (I am in the US). Can anyone here make a recommendation?

Suman
suman is offline Find More Posts by suman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2015, 07:13 AM
Find More Posts by DeeBee1
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Apr 2007
1,197 Posts
Hi Sunman.

The standard Telco, Humbrol and Mistral chargers (and I think the plastic Modela charger) use the 8g cartridges (sometimes called bulbs) that are used in fizzy drink (soda) makers. They don't have threads, the charger holds the cartridge in place and a pointed tube within the charger casing pierces the seal on the cartridge when it is tightened into the charger.

The hardcore CO2 enthusiasts buy much larger cartridges that are used in the drinks industry as these work out cheaper, and you can buy the charging valves to fit these cylinders separately.

I don't know of any US suppliers but this website may help:

http://www.blacksheepsquadron.com/

Good luck - CO2 flying is great fun and more technical than many people realise.
DeeBee1 is offline Find More Posts by DeeBee1