View Poll Results: Add Another Option: BMN (Bare Minimum Necessities)
no batteries, no charger, and no tx! $59.99(BMN) 760 86.36%
were just asking for too much 120 13.64%
Voters: 880. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools
Old Dec 09, 2015, 05:36 PM
turbojoe is offline
Find More Posts by turbojoe
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
turbojoe's Avatar
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
8,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadzone View Post
I suggest looking for a used DX4 on Ebay or Rcgroups. Even if you upgrade to computer radio later it is good to have this around for buddybox or leave at work.

But yeah these UM foamies are addictive. If you like the way the T28 flies, wait till you try the UMX foamies like Beast, pitts, Sbach, you would be amazed at how well those fly. The UM polecat is a blast too if you can find one, uses same 1s battery as T28.
The DX6 definitely isn't staying at work and the 9C is going to go back to strictly 72mhz again. The Spektrum module for the 9C is supposed to work in the Hitec Eclipse 7 and I just happen to have one that's not doing anything right now. That TX may end up at work.

As far as the addiction goes you're right. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on the Pitts tonight.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2015, 10:05 AM
basslord1124 is offline
Find More Posts by basslord1124
Registered User
United States, KY, Ashland
Joined Jul 2013
458 Posts
I posted this on one of the other threads but here's a video of me flying my T28. Father-in-law did the hand launch. Pretty uneventful, although at one point near the beginning I was doing a loop and at the base of the loop I think I cut the grass just a little bit. Whew! Wife's little cousin loves watching me fly and that's him that you hear providing some of the commentary.

Parkzone UM T28 flight (1 min 26 sec)
basslord1124 is offline Find More Posts by basslord1124
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2015, 08:43 PM
turbojoe is offline
Find More Posts by turbojoe
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
turbojoe's Avatar
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
8,095 Posts
Flew 3 more batteries through my T-28 after work today. Didn't know I had an audience. Got applause from a group of college students after wringing her out on the first flight. I had the Mobius mounted on my glasses and filmed all three flights but for some reason Windows now wants to format the Micro SD card before it can use it. I've used the freaking thing a dozen times before and it's a good Kingston card. ARGH!

Anyway.........she flew great as usual but I'm quickly getting used to the power. Hopefully the Pitts will satisfy that hunger when it gets here next week. I didn't find my small CF rod so I stopped by the LHS tonight and picked some up. I just got through drilling and taping it all together to flatten out the wing. Thanks to Blaze I think I'll now have the roll performance I'm looking for. The weather is going to be lousy until Sunday so that will be the first chance I get to try out the wing mod.

Next mod on the list is to reduce the climbing under power. I'd like to avoid cutting her open right now so I might try mixing in some down elevator with the throttle. If that doesn't work I'll rip her guts out and add a few degrees of tilt to the gearbox.

All pretty minor stuff so far and she'd be just fine left dead stock. It's just that a few very minor changes can take it from good to really good.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2015, 01:04 AM
deadzone is offline
Find More Posts by deadzone
Registered User
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Oct 2013
678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojoe View Post
Flew 3 more batteries through my T-28 after work today. Didn't know I had an audience. Got applause from a group of college students after wringing her out on the first flight. I had the Mobius mounted on my glasses and filmed all three flights but for some reason Windows now wants to format the Micro SD card before it can use it. I've used the freaking thing a dozen times before and it's a good Kingston card. ARGH!

Anyway.........she flew great as usual but I'm quickly getting used to the power. Hopefully the Pitts will satisfy that hunger when it gets here next week. I didn't find my small CF rod so I stopped by the LHS tonight and picked some up. I just got through drilling and taping it all together to flatten out the wing. Thanks to Blaze I think I'll now have the roll performance I'm looking for. The weather is going to be lousy until Sunday so that will be the first chance I get to try out the wing mod.

Next mod on the list is to reduce the climbing under power. I'd like to avoid cutting her open right now so I might try mixing in some down elevator with the throttle. If that doesn't work I'll rip her guts out and add a few degrees of tilt to the gearbox.

All pretty minor stuff so far and she'd be just fine left dead stock. It's just that a few very minor changes can take it from good to really good.

Joe
As far as climbing too much under power, should be able to fix with correct CG (battery placement) and associated elevator trim. Although there have been complaints about factory thrust angle not being correct.
deadzone is offline Find More Posts by deadzone
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2015, 06:05 AM
turbojoe is offline
Find More Posts by turbojoe
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
turbojoe's Avatar
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
8,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadzone View Post
As far as climbing too much under power, should be able to fix with correct CG (battery placement) and associated elevator trim. Although there have been complaints about factory thrust angle not being correct.
Nope. Battery is all the way forward and it balances CG forward. I've gotten it trimmed out for 3/4 throttle level flight but up the power and she starts to climb. No crazy climb but enough to have to crank in the elevator. If I could move the CG back I'll bet it could really be fun but can't do that until I put some more down thrust in. Last night I did Blazes mod and added the CF spar and took out most of the dihedral so I'll wait and see if that helps at all before going after the thrust line. Weather won't cooperate until Sunday so I'll have to wait until then to find out.

It's getting so hard to find a place to fly my bigger birds so These UMX's are really getting me excited because I can fly just about anywhere now. Better still is that so far the T-28 requires so little in the way of changes to fly just about perfect for me. Can't wait for the Pitts to get here. That should be my speed fix. While I was in the LHS yesterday there were 3 UMX F-16's on the counter. I could swear I heard one of them whisper to me to take them home. I had to get out quick before I wounded my credit card even further.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2015, 10:08 PM
deadzone is offline
Find More Posts by deadzone
Registered User
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Oct 2013
678 Posts
Only thing I did was go to 5043 prop. I also recall I had to fix motor mount angle now that I think about it, maybe same issue you are having, had a tendency to "balloon".

Regarding dihedral, I just assume leave it the way it was designed. The T28 is awkward to fly inverted for instance but I use other planes for improved sport performance, UM Polecat or Sukhoi were ideal, unfortunately they don't make those anymore. If you can find a used one you should snap one up.
deadzone is offline Find More Posts by deadzone
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2015, 08:58 AM
turbojoe is offline
Find More Posts by turbojoe
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
turbojoe's Avatar
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
8,095 Posts
Actually once I get her on her back she's just fine inverted. (hope that gets past the RCG censors ) Requires a fair amount of elevator input but nothing ridiculous. I'm hoping flattening the wing will also effectively lower the wing incidence and negate the need to add more down thrust. Leading edge definitely looks a bit lower now and that's good. Hopefully weather will cooperate and I can try it out tomorrow. If I can start to move the CG back a bit it'll really wake her up.

The UMX Pitts S1 should be here sometime next week. That'll be the real aerobatic bird for me. No desire whatsoever for the 3D planes. If I want to hover I'll fly one of my helicopters. I'm really liking the updated Habu though. I can see one of them in the hangar mid January.


Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2016, 10:09 PM
DrewC is online now
Find More Posts by DrewC
Comic Art Collector
DrewC's Avatar
United States, NY, Eastchester
Joined Jul 2013
1,083 Posts
I just noticed on HH that this plane has been discontinued. Any word on if they're bringing out an AS3x version, or better yet, a 2S, AS3x version?
DrewC is online now Find More Posts by DrewC
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2016, 10:39 PM
turbojoe is offline
Find More Posts by turbojoe
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
turbojoe's Avatar
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
8,095 Posts
They just discontinued the Carbon Cub too. Looks like they're making room for new releases. I wonder what they might be?

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2016, 10:57 PM
HuffDaddy is offline
Find More Posts by HuffDaddy
No Guts, No Glory!
HuffDaddy's Avatar
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
3,442 Posts
HuffDaddy is offline Find More Posts by HuffDaddy
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2016, 05:56 AM
Phil Ciborowski is offline
Find More Posts by Phil Ciborowski
Registered User
United States, MA, Revere
Joined Nov 2014
368 Posts
B17 is gone also...

I love my CC - and actually have 2 (one is pretty smashed up, but still flies well.

I really hope that there is a V2 of this plane with the AS3X in it (not that I would get rid of the one I have now for it). I think a lot more people would pick it up if it had it.

But i was looking at all the Disco'd planes.. and saw that so are the UMX Icon, and UMX Corsair, which I thought were pretty popular sellers. Is it just their time?
Phil Ciborowski is offline Find More Posts by Phil Ciborowski
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2016, 09:12 AM
ReM56 is offline
Find More Posts by ReM56
Registered User
ReM56's Avatar
United States, LA, River Ridge
Joined Aug 2003
121 Posts
I'm hoping for a 2s version with about a 20 to 22 inch wingspan. That would make me.
ReM56 is offline Find More Posts by ReM56
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2016, 09:18 AM
weedsnager is offline
Find More Posts by weedsnager
Registered User
weedsnager's Avatar
United States, IN, St John
Joined Mar 2011
341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReM56 View Post
I'm hoping for a 2s version with about a 20 to 22 inch wingspan. That would make me.
I agree !!
weedsnager is offline Find More Posts by weedsnager
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2016, 09:57 AM
Blaze0021 is online now
Find More Posts by Blaze0021
Registered User
Blaze0021's Avatar
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Apr 2015
3,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojoe View Post
Nope. Battery is all the way forward and it balances CG forward. I've gotten it trimmed out for 3/4 throttle level flight but up the power and she starts to climb. No crazy climb but enough to have to crank in the elevator. If I could move the CG back I'll bet it could really be fun but can't do that until I put some more down thrust in. Last night I did Blazes mod and added the CF spar and took out most of the dihedral so I'll wait and see if that helps at all before going after the thrust line. Weather won't cooperate until Sunday so I'll have to wait until then to find out.

It's getting so hard to find a place to fly my bigger birds so These UMX's are really getting me excited because I can fly just about anywhere now. Better still is that so far the T-28 requires so little in the way of changes to fly just about perfect for me. Can't wait for the Pitts to get here. That should be my speed fix. While I was in the LHS yesterday there were 3 UMX F-16's on the counter. I could swear I heard one of them whisper to me to take them home. I had to get out quick before I wounded my credit card even further.

Joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojoe View Post
Actually once I get her on her back she's just fine inverted. (hope that gets past the RCG censors ) Requires a fair amount of elevator input but nothing ridiculous. I'm hoping flattening the wing will also effectively lower the wing incidence and negate the need to add more down thrust. Leading edge definitely looks a bit lower now and that's good. Hopefully weather will cooperate and I can try it out tomorrow. If I can start to move the CG back a bit it'll really wake her up.

The UMX Pitts S1 should be here sometime next week. That'll be the real aerobatic bird for me. No desire whatsoever for the 3D planes. If I want to hover I'll fly one of my helicopters. I'm really liking the updated Habu though. I can see one of them in the hangar mid January.


Joe
UMX Pitts "Aerobatic" "Speed" fix, with a custom UMX Habu EDF Booster

Eflite UMX Pitts S-1S EDF Special "Morgan" GWS 5043 Performance Flight (6 min 51 sec)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2601171
Blaze0021 is online now Find More Posts by Blaze0021
Last edited by Blaze0021; Mar 14, 2016 at 10:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2016, 02:42 AM
Nickerz is offline
Find More Posts by Nickerz
Registered User
Nickerz's Avatar
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined May 2004
415 Posts
Dang Spektrum DX6i

I busted up my T-28...





... and I'm really frustrated b/c it glitched really bad when I flew her over a certain area of the park. First time wasn't too bad so I threw her up again, got more altitude and attempted that area again and down she went, motor cut out or it lost signal again but I was able to recover.

Then I got home (where I have had major glitching issues with cars, quads, planes) and threw her up again. At first everything was fine and then sure enough same problem happened... plane just fell out of the sky and she went down and hit really hard this time.

My big frustration is I have the DX6i and this radio doesn't seem to be helping. To end my glitching issues with my car I had to buy an airtronics radio (MT-4S) and glitching problems with my car completely went away. So I'm beginning to think Spektrum isn't really a great radio after all.

Maybe 2.4Ghz isn't what it used to be? At least the DSM technology that Spektrum uses. With so many devices that are sharing similar frequencies or even the same, maybe the technology isn't what it used to be? But my area is bad. These companies making new radios should honestly come to my area and test them out and if they don't glitch then that's a good radio!
Nickerz is offline Find More Posts by Nickerz
Last edited by Nickerz; Mar 20, 2016 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Pics
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion PZ Radian or PZ T-28????? rclab1 Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 10 Jun 06, 2010 12:59 AM
Question Which is better for grass field pz t 28 or pz p51d bl friz Electric Warbirds 25 Mar 25, 2010 10:00 PM
Poll Which is better for grass field pz t 28 or pz p51d bl friz 3D Flying 0 Mar 22, 2010 08:20 PM
Sold TRADE PZ Corsair PNP for PZ T-28 HBPD Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 4 Oct 14, 2009 12:18 AM
Wanted Will trade for PZ F4U or T-28... WWIIace Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Jun 12, 2009 11:41 AM