New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Add Another Option: BMN (Bare Minimum Necessities)
no batteries, no charger, and no tx! $59.99(BMN) 752 86.24%
were just asking for too much 120 13.76%
Voters: 872. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 09, 2015, 06:36 PM
Find More Posts by turbojoe
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadzone View Post
I suggest looking for a used DX4 on Ebay or Rcgroups. Even if you upgrade to computer radio later it is good to have this around for buddybox or leave at work.

But yeah these UM foamies are addictive. If you like the way the T28 flies, wait till you try the UMX foamies like Beast, pitts, Sbach, you would be amazed at how well those fly. The UM polecat is a blast too if you can find one, uses same 1s battery as T28.
The DX6 definitely isn't staying at work and the 9C is going to go back to strictly 72mhz again. The Spektrum module for the 9C is supposed to work in the Hitec Eclipse 7 and I just happen to have one that's not doing anything right now. That TX may end up at work.

As far as the addiction goes you're right. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on the Pitts tonight.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2015, 11:05 AM
Find More Posts by basslord1124
United States, KY, Ashland
Joined Jul 2013
351 Posts
I posted this on one of the other threads but here's a video of me flying my T28. Father-in-law did the hand launch. Pretty uneventful, although at one point near the beginning I was doing a loop and at the base of the loop I think I cut the grass just a little bit. Whew! Wife's little cousin loves watching me fly and that's him that you hear providing some of the commentary.

Parkzone UM T28 flight (1 min 26 sec)
basslord1124 is offline Find More Posts by basslord1124
Old Dec 10, 2015, 09:43 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,954 Posts
Flew 3 more batteries through my T-28 after work today. Didn't know I had an audience. Got applause from a group of college students after wringing her out on the first flight. I had the Mobius mounted on my glasses and filmed all three flights but for some reason Windows now wants to format the Micro SD card before it can use it. I've used the freaking thing a dozen times before and it's a good Kingston card. ARGH!

Anyway.........she flew great as usual but I'm quickly getting used to the power. Hopefully the Pitts will satisfy that hunger when it gets here next week. I didn't find my small CF rod so I stopped by the LHS tonight and picked some up. I just got through drilling and taping it all together to flatten out the wing. Thanks to Blaze I think I'll now have the roll performance I'm looking for. The weather is going to be lousy until Sunday so that will be the first chance I get to try out the wing mod.

Next mod on the list is to reduce the climbing under power. I'd like to avoid cutting her open right now so I might try mixing in some down elevator with the throttle. If that doesn't work I'll rip her guts out and add a few degrees of tilt to the gearbox.

All pretty minor stuff so far and she'd be just fine left dead stock. It's just that a few very minor changes can take it from good to really good.

Joe
Old Dec 11, 2015, 02:04 AM
Find More Posts by deadzone
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Oct 2013
669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojoe View Post
Flew 3 more batteries through my T-28 after work today. Didn't know I had an audience. Got applause from a group of college students after wringing her out on the first flight. I had the Mobius mounted on my glasses and filmed all three flights but for some reason Windows now wants to format the Micro SD card before it can use it. I've used the freaking thing a dozen times before and it's a good Kingston card. ARGH!

Anyway.........she flew great as usual but I'm quickly getting used to the power. Hopefully the Pitts will satisfy that hunger when it gets here next week. I didn't find my small CF rod so I stopped by the LHS tonight and picked some up. I just got through drilling and taping it all together to flatten out the wing. Thanks to Blaze I think I'll now have the roll performance I'm looking for. The weather is going to be lousy until Sunday so that will be the first chance I get to try out the wing mod.

Next mod on the list is to reduce the climbing under power. I'd like to avoid cutting her open right now so I might try mixing in some down elevator with the throttle. If that doesn't work I'll rip her guts out and add a few degrees of tilt to the gearbox.

All pretty minor stuff so far and she'd be just fine left dead stock. It's just that a few very minor changes can take it from good to really good.

Joe
As far as climbing too much under power, should be able to fix with correct CG (battery placement) and associated elevator trim. Although there have been complaints about factory thrust angle not being correct.
deadzone is offline Find More Posts by deadzone
Old Dec 11, 2015, 07:05 AM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadzone View Post
As far as climbing too much under power, should be able to fix with correct CG (battery placement) and associated elevator trim. Although there have been complaints about factory thrust angle not being correct.
Nope. Battery is all the way forward and it balances CG forward. I've gotten it trimmed out for 3/4 throttle level flight but up the power and she starts to climb. No crazy climb but enough to have to crank in the elevator. If I could move the CG back I'll bet it could really be fun but can't do that until I put some more down thrust in. Last night I did Blazes mod and added the CF spar and took out most of the dihedral so I'll wait and see if that helps at all before going after the thrust line. Weather won't cooperate until Sunday so I'll have to wait until then to find out.

It's getting so hard to find a place to fly my bigger birds so These UMX's are really getting me excited because I can fly just about anywhere now. Better still is that so far the T-28 requires so little in the way of changes to fly just about perfect for me. Can't wait for the Pitts to get here. That should be my speed fix. While I was in the LHS yesterday there were 3 UMX F-16's on the counter. I could swear I heard one of them whisper to me to take them home. I had to get out quick before I wounded my credit card even further.

Joe
Old Dec 11, 2015, 11:08 PM
Find More Posts by deadzone
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Oct 2013
669 Posts
Only thing I did was go to 5043 prop. I also recall I had to fix motor mount angle now that I think about it, maybe same issue you are having, had a tendency to "balloon".

Regarding dihedral, I just assume leave it the way it was designed. The T28 is awkward to fly inverted for instance but I use other planes for improved sport performance, UM Polecat or Sukhoi were ideal, unfortunately they don't make those anymore. If you can find a used one you should snap one up.
deadzone is offline Find More Posts by deadzone
Old Dec 12, 2015, 09:58 AM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,954 Posts
Actually once I get her on her back she's just fine inverted. (hope that gets past the RCG censors ) Requires a fair amount of elevator input but nothing ridiculous. I'm hoping flattening the wing will also effectively lower the wing incidence and negate the need to add more down thrust. Leading edge definitely looks a bit lower now and that's good. Hopefully weather will cooperate and I can try it out tomorrow. If I can start to move the CG back a bit it'll really wake her up.

The UMX Pitts S1 should be here sometime next week. That'll be the real aerobatic bird for me. No desire whatsoever for the 3D planes. If I want to hover I'll fly one of my helicopters. I'm really liking the updated Habu though. I can see one of them in the hangar mid January.

Joe