New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:30 AM
Find More Posts by thevirginian
Joined Nov 2009
107 Posts
Discussion
Ventus 2cx or Discus 2c Deluxe from Topmodel

Anybody out there who flies one of the two 4.5 meter ships?
thevirginian is offline Find More Posts by thevirginian
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2010, 01:24 AM
Find More Posts by bundyglida
Joined Apr 2008
148 Posts
watching with intrest..........
bundyglida is offline Find More Posts by bundyglida
Old Jul 22, 2010, 07:16 AM
Joined Nov 2009
107 Posts
I and a club member ordered the Ventus and the Discus made by TopmodelCZ. Should arrive next week on the 27th. I will keep you guys posted with lots of pictures and a comprehensive report.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 02:33 AM
Joined Apr 2008
148 Posts
please do so, I'm looking at the ventus with interest!!!!
Old Jul 28, 2010, 04:43 AM
Joined Apr 2008
148 Posts
any further info?
Old Jul 28, 2010, 06:45 AM
Joined Nov 2009
107 Posts
Bear with me. The huge box had to clear customs first. I ma going to pick it up from the airport today.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 07:22 AM
Joined Nov 2009
107 Posts
Me and my buddy finally received our gliders from TopmodelCZ. The Ventus is mine, he opted for the Discus, which is basically the same ships but with a minor difference to the flaps. Both have a wingspan of 4.5 meters and are completely built. The quality of the ships is second to none. The perfectness of every part is simply unbelievable. There are so many details that make this airplane stand out of the crowd. I definitely will start a short building thread, since I believe it will draw a lot of interest here. All what's left to do is the radio installation. That's not very difficult to do. Little tricky might be the hook up of the servos. The wires are all installed inside the wings and the fuse, but it requires the adaptation of the correct plugs, which means you have to crimp the right gold connectors onto the ends of each lead. That might be a little bit time consuming for one who has never done it before. But I rather have it this way than have to deal with extra long extension. A very nifty locking system is the latch of the canopy. There is a scale like sliding window and a little latch inside the canopy. You need to insert your finger thru that window and move the latch in order to open or lock the canopy. The retractable LG is top notch quality. The only thing left to do is to install some rubber bands and music wire hooks for the doors. O.K. that's it for now. I will proceed with the build shortly. More pictures to follow.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 07:26 AM
Joined Nov 2009
107 Posts
O.K. here are some more
Old Jul 29, 2010, 07:29 PM
Find More Posts by SteveRI
Newport RI, USA
Joined May 2007
100 Posts
This Ventus is just beautiful

I have spent a lot of time building wings and fuses for gliders and a couple of tow planes etc the thought of buying such a beautiful model and just putting in the radio gear seems like a distant dream to me. The joy one gets from driving home and seeing a very large box leaning next to the front door is only surpassed by opening the box.

I'm following along on your build thead very closely; perhaps Christmas may come early this year.

Thank you for posting and I hope to see a video of your first flight.

Thank you,

SteveRI
SteveRI is offline Find More Posts by SteveRI
Old Jul 29, 2010, 07:42 PM
Find More Posts by creeve
Corner Ketch, DE
Joined Sep 2005
1,363 Posts
I have been flying mine for two years, Needs lots of lead up front
Even with two 2200 Nicads 5 cell

I am going to convert it to either and SLS or Powered up front with a NEU 1527/1.5y motor

Hard to see on aproach or high in the air due to the thin wings , I put large stripes on the bottom to help with visability

Charlie
creeve is offline Find More Posts by creeve
Old Jul 30, 2010, 06:38 AM
Joined Nov 2009
107 Posts
First I have to decide on the servos. I have a bunch of HS-65HBs, a couple of HS 85MGs and two digital, metal geared Parkzone servos. I think the 65s go on the flaps (two on each wing), the 85s I am planning to use for the ailerons and the Parkzones for the spoilers. Then I have several HS-225MGs, which should be ideal for rudder, the elevator and one for the LG. For the tow release I buy one HS-645MGs. I also want to put a neat little guy inside the cockpit and add some instruments to the dash. It begs for it. creeve, where exactly is your CG, if you dont' mind me asking. I read in an German building thread (rc-network.de) that the CG is not at 80-95mm, but at around 70mm. Is that true? What did you use to mount your wing servos with?
Old Jul 30, 2010, 07:47 PM
Corner Ketch, DE
Joined Sep 2005
1,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevirginian View Post
First I have to decide on the servos. I have a bunch of HS-65HBs, a couple of HS 85MGs and two digital, metal geared Parkzone servos. I think the 65s go on the flaps (two on each wing), the 85s I am planning to use for the ailerons and the Parkzones for the spoilers. Then I have several HS-225MGs, which should be ideal for rudder, the elevator and one for the LG. For the tow release I buy one HS-645MGs. I also want to put a neat little guy inside the cockpit and add some instruments to the dash. It begs for it. creeve, where exactly is your CG, if you dont' mind me asking. I read in an German building thread (rc-network.de) that the CG is not at 80-95mm, but at around 70mm. Is that true? What did you use to mount your wing servos with?
I used 225 mg's for all wing servos and rudder and elevator

Wrap the servo with tape and bed into a mix of 5 min epoxy and micro balloons right before it cures pop it out of the bed
Scratch the bottom with sand paper , servo and wing then use a very small amout of epoxy to mount the servo

Make sure all servos are centered and tested before mounting

I always use a seperate battery for the retract servo isollated from the rx battery and a mg high torqe for the release and retract

Charlie
Old Jul 30, 2010, 08:04 PM
Corner Ketch, DE
Joined Sep 2005
1,363 Posts
I have My CG @ 80mm and it flys fine.
Old Aug 02, 2010, 07:06 AM
Joined Nov 2009
107 Posts
Thanks creeve,
Yesterday it was rainy sunday and perfect for working on my Ventus. I installed the servos for the spoilers. It took me almost all day to so just that. Not that I am slow, but I don't like half a$$ jobs, so I took my time an did it my way. There are four urethan serve mounting blocks in the kit that were meant for the spoilers, but I made my own from bass wood. I had to clip the servo connectors off in order to mount the servos in the 50mm servo bay. With the very short pushrod coming from the spoiler it was quite some surgery until everything fit and worked without binding. I also had to replace the clevises that were factory installed. They were chunk. Finally I stuck some double sided tape under the servo to keep it from moving between the blocks. Next step will be to install all control arms on ailerons and flaps. I am not going to use the brass/aluminum hardware that came with the kit. I am going to make my own form a 1mm thick CF board. Next post will follow shortly.
Old Aug 08, 2010, 03:17 PM
Joined Nov 2009
107 Posts
Continued with hooking up the rudder and retract servos. I had to buikd me a doubler for the servo tray to make it a tad stiffer. I used real light birch ply to save weight. The gear door retract was a bit tricky but now it works like a charm. A couple of simple rubber bands are doing the trick. I decided to invest in a crimping tool in order to do the connecting plugs for my servos. I didn't want to cut the servo leads off of my brand new servos to solder them on the wires inside the fuse where they plug into the receiver. Too many solder joints. What a time comsuming job But it came out perfect. All that's left to do is to install the servos in the wings.