New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2016, 01:58 PM
Find More Posts by smittyboy
Joined Mar 2014
1,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by liam4 View Post
My only problem with the RTF controller is the range, I have actually found the limit of this several times!
Oh yeah, ever thought of that point…I was thinking more in terms of just basic flying maneuvers. But yeah, now that I think about it I did lose contact with the plane when it went out too far. In fact, one time it ended up landing in the middle of a high school football stadium field that was locked up and gated. Fortunately, it was in the middle of the summer, so I didn't disturb any game (or spectators), LOL. And luckily, after walking into the school I ran into a custodian who was more then happy to let me onto the field to retrieve my plane. And it was this good man, who tipped me off to another flying field which is where I fly regularly now. I am a firm believer in "everything happens for a reason".
smittyboy is online now Find More Posts by smittyboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2016, 12:41 PM
Find More Posts by Blaze0021
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Apr 2015
3,649 Posts
Hobbyzone (2S BL) Champ Crophopper & Eflite UMX Carbon Cub SS Snow Duet Flight

A slow with snow "merry go round" flight duet with my Hobbyzone Champ Crophopper (2S Brushless with Ailerons) and Mike "Deuces Wild" Frontiero flying his Eflite UMX Carbon Cub SS at David Lorenz Park. As the last snow storm left a good layer of fresh virgin powder snow, we did a pretty good job of "exploring the spaces of the studio" as well as both of our batteries' LVC limits when faced with 39' F temps.

Hobbyzone (2S BL) Champ Crophopper & Eflite UMX Carbon Cub SS Flight (3 min 45 sec)

CHAMP CROPHOPPER RCGROUPS.COM WRITE-UP LINKS:

Champ Crophopper RC Groups Snow Float Write-Up with Photos: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2564877

Champ Crophopper RC Groups Initial Build Write-Up with Photos: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2506217

CHAMP CROPHOPPER CONVERSION PARTS

Motor: Eflite 180 BL 3000KV
Motor Mount: UMX Beast 3D / UMX Carbon Cub SS
ESC / Receiver: EFLU4864 (UMX Beast 3D / UMX Carbon Cub SS) AS3X
Aileron Servos: Spektrum 2.3 Gram Linear Long Throw Offset
Propeller: GWS 5030
Adapter: CNC Small Parts Aluminum UMX Carbon Cub SS (Long)
Landing Gear: .047 Music Wire Custom Hobbyzone Champ Front Arm Fitment for the UMX Carbon Cub SS Snow Floats

Transmitter: Spektrum DX6
Lipo: Eflite 2S 7.4V 200mAh 30C
Timer: 4 Minutes

Camera: IPhone 6 at 1080 P / 60 FPS
Camera Headmount: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._detailpages00

Thanks for watching and please hit the Like Button if you enjoyed the video!
Blaze0021 is online now Find More Posts by Blaze0021
Old Jan 14, 2016, 12:30 AM
Find More Posts by Chap1012
Epilepsy Awareness
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
15,368 Posts
Very nice vid Derick. I posted on YT

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Jan 14, 2016, 12:35 AM
Joined Apr 2015
3,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Very nice vid Derick. I posted on YT

Mike.
Thanks Mike! When I watched the footage, I honestly didn't expect this video to be "well-received." It was the slowest, most relaxed flight I've ever posted, with some of the mildest maneuvers I've executed with the Champ Crophopper.
Last edited by Blaze0021; Jan 14, 2016 at 12:40 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 11:09 AM
Epilepsy Awareness
Joined Mar 2008
15,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze0021 View Post
Thanks Mike! When I watched the footage, I honestly didn't expect this video to be "well-received." It was the slowest, most relaxed flight I've ever posted, with some of the mildest maneuvers I've executed with the Champ Crophopper.
"Not well received"???? I thought it was very cool. A couple times I thought you Guys were going in for a tighter formation. The "show" was great

Mike.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 11:17 AM
Joined Apr 2015
3,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
"Not well received"???? I thought it was very cool. A couple times I thought you Guys were going in for a tighter formation. The "show" was great

Mike.
Thanks Mike. It was all improv, lol. But I think my friend was right in quoting that SNL skit with Christopher Walken, "I think we need more cow bells."
Old Jan 14, 2016, 12:34 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Joined Mar 2008
15,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze0021 View Post
Thanks Mike. It was all improv, lol. But I think my friend was right in quoting that SNL skit with Christopher Walken, "I think we need more cow bells."
LOL, too funny Dude
Old Feb 07, 2016, 05:17 PM
Find More Posts by benz11
Australia, WA, North Perth
Joined Jan 2014
286 Posts
Faulty Champ gearbox suggestions?

Hi guys, I have tried to replace the gearbox of my Champ a few times, but all three (genuine HH) gearboxes I have bought are too "tight" in the gear mesh; they spin with a flick but for nowhere near as long as a new UM plane, and they are LOUD once in the air, if they fly at all. I have tried known working, free spinning motors from my T-28, AS3Xtra etc and they all have the same problem with these new gearboxes. The first to last gearboxes were bought a year apart, in the hope of ruling out a bad batch during manufacturing, and they all come with new, straight prop shafts... 

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Considering the gear to gear centres are not adjustable, can anyone suggest a way to fix this?

Any thoughts are appreciated! Ben.
benz11 is online now Find More Posts by benz11
Old Feb 08, 2016, 09:00 AM
Find More Posts by bhoov128
Genesis 50:20
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
14,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benz11 View Post
Hi guys, I have tried to replace the gearbox of my Champ a few times, but all three (genuine HH) gearboxes I have bought are too "tight" in the gear mesh; they spin with a flick but for nowhere near as long as a new UM plane, and they are LOUD once in the air, if they fly at all. I have tried known working, free spinning motors from my T-28, AS3Xtra etc and they all have the same problem with these new gearboxes. The first to last gearboxes were bought a year apart, in the hope of ruling out a bad batch during manufacturing, and they all come with new, straight prop shafts... 

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Considering the gear to gear centres are not adjustable, can anyone suggest a way to fix this?

Have you tried loosening the nut on the back of the prop shaft just a touch?
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Feb 08, 2016, 06:02 PM
Joined Jan 2014
286 Posts
Yes I have, with no change. The only way I can think to get a working gearbox is to buy a motor and gearbox combo, as surely they would have to make sure they spun freely from the factory? I guess it can't hurt to have a spare brushed motor as well, some only last a handful of flights!
Old Feb 08, 2016, 10:01 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Joined Mar 2008
15,368 Posts
Quote:
Yes I have, with no change. The only way I can think to get a working gearbox is to buy a motor and gearbox combo, as surely they would have to make sure they spun freely from the factory? I guess it can't hurt to have a spare brushed motor as well, some only last a handful of flights!
I would try a small round steel brush. Mine is 3 or 4mm. I use this to sweep in between every gear tooth carefully. Then I put a dab of light lube on the gears and wipe off excess with a gun patch (lint free).

I could be wrong but, in many times new parts need to be worked on......to a certain point of course.

Mike.
Old Feb 08, 2016, 11:33 PM
Joined Jan 2014
286 Posts
Thanks Mike thats a fair point. I thought maybe the hole the bronze bushes fit in were cast/formed incorrectly, but it may be gears hanging that is causing the issue. Whatever it is, it isn't off by much, but even a small error at this scale can be a problem I guess. I have tried several combinations of good motors and props shafts, maybe i just need to lightly file a couple of prop shaft gears and just keep them aside for the Champ. I think I will give that a shot!
Last edited by benz11; Feb 08, 2016 at 11:41 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2016, 12:42 AM
Find More Posts by dacaur
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
11,258 Posts
Quote:
Hi guys, I have tried to replace the gearbox of my Champ a few times, but all three (genuine HH) gearboxes I have bought are too "tight" in the gear mesh; they spin with a flick but for nowhere near as long as a new UM plane, and they are LOUD once in the air, if they fly. I have tried known working, free spinning motors from my T-28, AS3Xtra etc and they all have the same problem with these new gearboxes. The first to last gearboxes were bought a year apart, in the hope of ruling out a bad batch during manufacturing, and they all come with new, straight prop shafts... 

It's VERY unlikley you would get 3 faulty gearboxes, and you have the same problem with a known good motor, so it stands to reason then the only logical explanation is a faulty brick... Maybe try plugging the motor/gearbox into your as3xtra and see what happens....
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Feb 09, 2016, 01:19 AM
Joined Jan 2014
286 Posts
Thanks dacaur, I thought 3 duds in a row was extreme as well, considering you would think these are the exact same parts they use in the manufacuring of the new planes. I feel quite strong resistance even just holding the gearbox in my hand and flicking the prop before it is even powered up though (and it may only turn one turn before it stops from a hard flick) so the problem seems to be binding mechanically, and not coming from an electrical issue. I am in Australia though with a much smaller population than the US so maybe HH Australia only sold 3 gearboxes last year... and they were all to me.
Last edited by benz11; Feb 09, 2016 at 04:07 AM.
Old Feb 09, 2016, 08:13 PM
Find More Posts by North_of_49
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
11,110 Posts
Quote:
Thanks dacaur, I thought 3 duds in a row was extreme as well, considering you would think these are the exact same parts they use in the manufacuring of the new planes. I feel quite strong resistance even just holding the gearbox in my hand and flicking the prop before it is even powered up though (and it may only turn one turn before it stops from a hard flick) so the problem seems to be binding mechanically, and not coming from an electrical issue. I am in Australia though with a much smaller population than the US so maybe HH Australia only sold 3 gearboxes last year... and they were all to me.
Check for this (the part about the shaft keeper)...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=4749

by the way, if you're wondering what the fix is for the tight gear mesh that I alluded to in that post, sometimes the motor shaft is not directly center of the motor's end bell... you can play with the gear mesh by rotating the motor in its mount.
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member