HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:30 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
2,877 Posts
for Pencon -

Was not able to attach pics to the email system , probably because I'm dumber than a box of rocks when it comes to computers.

So - going to try to attach some pics of the nose gear set up here. the very top of the gear wire has a notch ground into it to provide a spot for the setscrews (grub screw...) to hold the leg in but NOT pinch it down - this allows free rotation without the leg falling out each time it's vertical. Chuck the wire up in a nice, slow speed hand drill; start it rotating; use your Dremel tool with a cut-off disc mounted, and slowly grind a notch into the rotating wire at the appropriate location. This isn't critical, other than having to be reasonably close. LockTite the set screws in the trunnion, after running them in far enough to prevent fallout while still not restricting rotation. Use a pc. of small aluminum, cut it down to fit size you will need for your setup - this will act as the rotation lever; affix that to the gear leg. Use a small block of wood, attached to the gear mount block, as the trip lever (to contact the rotation lever mounted on the gear leg) - adjust both length and angle as necessary to get the gear to rotate 90* on closing. The pul-pull wires will straighten out the rotated leg on opening.

Voila! - instant rotating retract.
PikeStaff is offline Find More Posts by PikeStaff
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:17 PM
Joined Dec 2008
1,648 Posts
Thanks Pikestaff that explains a lot
pencon is offline Find More Posts by pencon
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:30 PM
Scale Jet Driver
United States, TX, Grapevine
Joined Jul 2012
760 Posts
Put two flights on the rhino today. The "re-maiden" today was successful. Added 2 ounces to the tail after the first flight and the second landing was much improved.

The longer I fly this one, the more I like it to be a bit tail heavy.

Done too much already. Thrust mod, rudder and now retracts.

It is fun to fly though.
Rangerfan is online now Find More Posts by Rangerfan
Last edited by Rangerfan; Dec 07, 2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:39 AM
United States, IN, Newburgh
Joined Dec 2007
51 Posts
Too Much.......?

".......BLASPHEMY......"

Nice looking Rhino.....It will take the weight and the drag...Believe me.
Next, ... Remove the 2oz and install a tail hook and operational chute....and maybe some dive brakes on the back end of that beast.....

Hahaha.....2oz well spent there.
"Foamies Rule"
Bobaroo is online now Find More Posts by Bobaroo
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:22 PM
Scale Jet Driver
Joined Jul 2012
760 Posts
Ha! Like how you think!

Put 3 more flights in today. Love the way she flies. The second landing was not my finest... just after I cut the throttle and had a good flair, I caught a gust and the nose popped up on me. Came down and snapped a wing. Doh! Good thing was that ot was a clean break and quickly repaired. Went up again after the epoxy dried and all was good. Great landing.
Can't even see the break other than the clear tape that I put over it. Love epo foam.
Last edited by Rangerfan; Dec 08, 2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:17 AM
United States, IN, Newburgh
Joined Dec 2007
51 Posts
Landing

Cooolio......

Landing rollout distances increase with the weight as well as safe landing airspeeds. Flaperons help me get the airspeed down. I also use full up throttle trim to land...works great.

Super fine steel wool works marvelously to de-gloss your tape. I use it on the whole aircraft. Gives a great weathered look.

Glad you had success...
Bobaroo is online now Find More Posts by Bobaroo
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:35 PM
Scale Jet Driver
Joined Jul 2012
760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobaroo View Post
Cooolio......

Landing rollout distances increase with the weight as well as safe landing airspeeds. Flaperons help me get the airspeed down. I also use full up throttle trim to land...works great.

Super fine steel wool works marvelously to de-gloss your tape. I use it on the whole aircraft. Gives a great weathered look.

Glad you had success...
Definetly need to keep the speed up on this one during landing. I also use flapperons with up elevator mixed in. Helps a bit.

I'm learning that you gotta use power all the way in with this one. I have a harder time flying this one whenever I bring my F-18 to the field too. With flaps, that super hornet lands like a sig trainer. Slow, no power on, hell, you have to point it down when it gets over the runway. Exactly the opposite with this F-4.

I should stop flying them on the same day. On second thought... Nah, that won't happen!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:55 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
Joined Sep 2010
2,877 Posts
Boy.....

My experience exactly - where just about everything else has to power down to get it on the runway, the Rhino has to have a big gob of power screwed back on to do it. Never flew mine light; retracts went in from the start, and the WeMoTec/Velocity4200/big heat sink combo have had weight up from the beginning, and forced a fast learning curve with repairs inevitable. Once logged into these old brain cells, it hasn't been as comfy a process as the F-18's and F-86's have been.

But the sight of this one, on a fast sweeper leading into a fast low pass, cannot be duplicated by any other. . Worth the time and sweat.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:08 PM
Crawley Down, sussex, England
Joined Dec 2004
351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrashmaster71 View Post
Amazing pics!
Thanks guys! I just pointed my camcorder into the sun, and then flew low and slow with the sun burning my eyeballs out, trying not to get disorientated! Glad I got her down in one piece!

Here's another picture my wife took of my Phantom on a napalm run, with a little help from a photo fire app on the iPad!
sniper1 is offline Find More Posts by sniper1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Rarebear/ Bearcat
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:44 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
Joined Sep 2010
2,877 Posts
Lol!!!

Hahahaa! Bravo!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:45 PM
Scale Jet Driver
Joined Jul 2012
760 Posts
Cool pic sniper!
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:35 AM
United Kingdom
Joined May 2010
382 Posts
lol... brilliant, that's quite some flak-storm he's flying through!
The43rdHammer is offline Find More Posts by The43rdHammer
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:25 PM
Scale Jet Driver
Joined Jul 2012
760 Posts
Hey anyone flying this one, also flying the eflite f-4?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:02 PM
Joined Dec 2008
1,648 Posts
I also have the eflite F4 but it's still in the box. Thinkin 8S and jetfan 80mm (gotta take off grass runway )
pencon is offline Find More Posts by pencon
Last edited by pencon; Dec 12, 2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:39 AM
Grand Blanc, MI
Joined Jan 2007
481 Posts
Awesome pic Sniper.
will3kgt is offline Find More Posts by will3kgt