HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 16, 2002, 09:14 AM
Super Senior Member
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Feb 2000
3,396 Posts
Plans for a high wing trainer?

Well, my seven year old is going to ask Santa for his very own electric airplane this year. Rather than go out and buy an overpriced piece of trainer junk I figure I will just build him a high wing trainer. Anyone know of plans for a good high wing R/E trainer? Bigger never hurts either. I am thinking tricycle gear for my boy's first plane.

Thanks,

Greg
Slope Nut is offline Find More Posts by Slope Nut
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2002, 09:58 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi Greg
Smart idea. Pat Tritle at:

http://www.thuntek.net/pcmodels/index.htm

does a plan for a high wing 3 channel trainer called Vert E go. Taildragger gear, but don't let that frighten you. I've seen one fly and it's a real good, handy model. Decent size, 60" span, needs fairly modest power too. Basic wood structure.

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Sep 16, 2002, 06:56 PM
Notorious Battery Abuser
United States, MA, Cambridge
Joined Jul 2002
311 Posts
well, you could buy a kit for the Greatplanes electricub.

spd 600 geared i think 58" span

check towerhobbies
FlycastSeven is offline Find More Posts by FlycastSeven
Old Sep 16, 2002, 07:18 PM
Roxboro, NC U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2000
714 Posts
I know you said plans but if a kit with good looks and classic lines with a very forgiving attitude would work for you then checck out the SR Batteries Cutie. This plane is so easy to fly that with the throws turned down a notch anyone can fly it. (As demonstrated at the flying field last thursday night. A newbie with no flight time at all flew mine with instruction on the fly so to speak)
Mike C is offline Find More Posts by Mike C
Old Sep 17, 2002, 03:32 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
I don't know if you can get it in the States, but September 'RC Model World' has a free plan for something called 'Tom-E-Boy' which is exactly what you want.

Geared speed 400, say 9x6 prop and 7-8 600-1100 cells and dead easy to build. 3 channel only, but you did say 'trainer'

I knocked up a design for something very similar, and put ailerons on it - waste of time with all that dihedral! Unfortunately the wing wasn't very strong, and eventually folded..and I miss it!

In fact, I must get down to the 'Hobby store' and stock up on lightweight covering, and some LE/TE sections, and make another one.....

To be honest, you don't really NEED a plan, get a stock Speed 400 geared 1.85 or 2.33 :1, 7.2V or 6V (use only 7 cells on 6v) and some APC 9x6E or 10x4.7 sloflys, an 8x600Ae pack, a pair of foamie wheels, some balsa,snakes, servos, piano wire for a UC...and as long as it has

- around 40" span
- weights under 23oz AUW
- 5-10 degrees dihedral
- CofG at about 30% chord
- simple flat bottom wing section

It will both fly, and please!

There is a very nice low volume UK kit, made by Westfield, called the Beguine, which is very similar.

RipMax in the UK do an ARTF vintage called the Zephyr (www.ripmax.com) for speed 600 power.

Then there are the Ben Buckle range of vintage kits, wich electrify well - they do an electric Junior 60 I think.

All these are nice slow lazy models that give you time to light a fag between one end of the field and the other, and fly themselves almost :-)
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1