New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM
Find More Posts by Nwtlakes
Canada, NT, Yellowknife
Joined Nov 2012
127 Posts
Gallery
Big Blue / Baby Blue = Drake 2 twin?

I have been flying model aircraft for a couple years now and wanted to try flying boats. But given there is a bit of effort required to not fry electronics in the water, and hull design etc, this is the first summer I have given it a shot. I flew and designed my own design which flew but handled the water poorly.

And then I came across the Plans on this website for the Drake 2. (Thanks to Warhead71 for drawing up the revised plans, they are excellent. The Original was a Ken Willard design for balsa) I decided to build a twin version of it, since it is usually windy where I live and I wanted differential power to control it on the water. I also wanted to explore the possibilities my Turnigy 9xr pro had to offer programming wise.

The standard size Drake 2 plans seemed a little too big to fit in the back of my car when the kids are along for the ride, so I decided to build a 75% of the plans, but keep the wing a little bigger, just to keep it lightly wing loaded. The resulting plane took about 4 test flights to get the motor incidence dialled in, and as well as a few other challenges. But in the end it turned into a great little flyer!

Big Blue flybys (2 min 11 sec)

Big Blue - Back Bay Yellowknife, Aug 26th 2015 - (1 min 55 sec)
Nwtlakes is offline Find More Posts by Nwtlakes
Last edited by Nwtlakes; Yesterday at 12:41 PM. Reason: added video links
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 10:04 AM
Find More Posts by Nwtlakes
Canada, NT, Yellowknife
Joined Nov 2012
127 Posts
bigger brother

The plane ended up flying so nice I decided to big a bigger version. I was hoping for 60" wing span 3-4 lb airplane that could handle any kind of wind, so windy days here in yellowknife wouldn't keep me grounded. After a bit of math working with the drake 2 plans I calculated that enlarging them 135% would yield the 60" wingspan I was looking for. I had ordered 2 ntm 1450kv earlier in the summer for this specific purpose, although I didn't have the exact design nailed down at the time of ordering. This one turned out better than I had hoped and flew great from the first flight. However, somehow due to it's size or something, the 2 deg wing incidence, and 2 deg motor incidence don't seem to apply to this size. So the first couple of flights it ballooned a lot and require a large amount of down trim to fly level. After adjusting the motors to 0deg incidence and the wing to the same, it now flys exactly like I had hoped it would.

I am aware that the drake plans use a flat hull design, but i did want a v hull to cut through the water better, and the v that I cut into both planes seems to work very well. One of the best traits of this particular design I believe is the hull. It gets the plane up onto the step very quickly, and handles any wind I've thrown at it with ease.

Baby Blue - flight testing day 2 - (2 min 41 sec)

Baby Blue - flight testing day 3 - (2 min 0 sec)

Baby Blue - Frame Lk / East Bay Yellowknife Aug 26th, 2015 - (3 min 45 sec)
Nwtlakes is offline Find More Posts by Nwtlakes
Last edited by Nwtlakes; Yesterday at 10:33 AM.