HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:07 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,220 Posts
Not an OS but an Evolution 61... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477082
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fly Models Sbach 30cc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:50 AM
United States, NC, Marion
Joined Jun 2011
767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warwickcorvette1 View Post
Hey guys, not sure if anyone is still on this thread but I thought I would give it a shot. I read all posts and could not see if anyone used an OS61fx 2 stroke. I did see the OS91fx 2 stroke was more than enough (I have the same motor in my Super Chipmunk ) I have been flying for 20 years and have a bunch of warbirds (24 planes in all) and I like this little jug. My buddy has the Hangar 9 Hellcat, which is similar in size and he has an OS61fx 2 stroke in her like the one I have in Inventory. He also has the this P-47 with the 91 4stroke. The Hellcat is much faster with the 61fx 2 stroke. We both agreed the 61fx 2 stroke should be more than fine for this P-47. I have a pitts muffler on mine so the mount will be very easy.

Just want to know if anyone has used the 61fx 2 stroke on her.

Thanks so much for any input.

Mitch
I had an OS .61fx in mine and i thought it was a little sluggish in my opinion. I went to a OS .75AX and love it. The 61 will definetly fly it I just like having a little extra power.
ncflyer79 is offline Find More Posts by ncflyer79
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:19 PM
Cumming, GA USA
Joined Jan 2011
222 Posts
Thanks so much guys. I like power on my warbirds.....so I am going to use my .61fx 2 stroke for another project. I will put a .91 4 stroke in her and have the power and better sound. That is the correct choice. Your input is very appreciated....I do not want "sluggish"
warwickcorvette1 is offline Find More Posts by warwickcorvette1
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:38 PM
Braselton Ga
Joined Apr 2009
505 Posts
I have a Magnum XL .91 4 stroke with a 14x8 master airscrew in mine. Hope to do a maiden this weekend if the weather is ok. Will post the results.
LannyT2 is online now Find More Posts by LannyT2
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:03 AM
United States, NC, Marion
Joined Jun 2011
767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LannyT2 View Post
I have a Magnum XL .91 4 stroke with a 14x8 master airscrew in mine. Hope to do a maiden this weekend if the weather is ok. Will post the results.
those magnums are great 4 strokes, and are decently priced
ncflyer79 is offline Find More Posts by ncflyer79
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:25 AM
If It Aint Broke,I'll Break It
United States, TX, Lockhart
Joined Dec 2008
2,872 Posts
Flown mine with both the OS61FX 2 stroke and the Magnum 91 4 stroke. No problems with either power plant.
Rockin G is offline Find More Posts by Rockin G
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:12 PM
Braselton Ga
Joined Apr 2009
505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin G View Post
Flown mine with both the OS61FX 2 stroke and the Magnum 91 4 stroke. No problems with either power plant.
What prop did you use with the Magnum?
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:19 PM
Joined May 2011
257 Posts
Here is the deal on the P-47 dorsal fin from my build log:

"Sam Barton's bird was a P-47D-30-RA. 30 refers to the production block and RA means it was built at the Republic factory in Evansville Indiana (as opposed to RE which means Farmingdale, NY).

When the razor back was dropped in favor of the bubble top canopy for blocks 25 RE/26 RA, pilots found that the P-47 lost a bit of lateral stability. As a result, bubble top P-47s beginning w/ block 40-RA had a dorsal fin installed at the factory. The blocks between 25 RE/26RA and 40 RA left the factory w/ no dorsal fin, but often had them retro fitted in the field.

Barton's aircraft was one of these...and no photos exist to confirm the existence of a field installed fin. Some AC in his squadron had them, and others didn't, therefore I've opted to leave it off."

...so...depending on the production block, it is possible for a plane to have had a fin added during it's service life in the field.
LuftM40 is offline Find More Posts by LuftM40
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:07 AM
Braselton Ga
Joined Apr 2009
505 Posts
Maiden the P-47 Saturday. Awesome plane. Plenty of power. Easy to land. Looks and sounds great in the air.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:48 PM
"Fly Low, Fly Fast, Turn Left"
United States, CA, Red Bluff
Joined Jul 2009
522 Posts
Congrats! Got pics or videos?
SmokeDogg is online now Find More Posts by SmokeDogg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: H9 P-47d .60 Flight Log
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:30 AM
Braselton Ga
Joined Apr 2009
505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeDogg View Post
Congrats! Got pics or videos?
Not this time. Just me and my grandson (its his plane) we were handing the controler back and forth. He was not confortable landing on the street.
Hope to get video this week end.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:30 AM
"Fly Low, Fly Fast, Turn Left"
United States, CA, Red Bluff
Joined Jul 2009
522 Posts
Awesome... Sounds like fun
SmokeDogg is online now Find More Posts by SmokeDogg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: H9 P-47d .60 Flight Log
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:37 AM
If It Aint Broke,I'll Break It
United States, TX, Lockhart
Joined Dec 2008
2,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LannyT2 View Post
What prop did you use with the Magnum?
Thats a good question, I lost that plane and engine in an unfortunate meeting with terra firma at full throttle about a year and a half ago. Some sort of brown out as soon as I pulled the gear in and banked. But if memory serves me correct, I had the 14x6 on there. And once broke in and leaned out for performance, it was amazing. That was my favorite plane and favorite money and lost both in one instant.

But I see you maidened her already and so I guess you got the prop figured out. Another thing you may want to condiser is something like the e-flite retracts. Those legs that come stock with the Jug are wobbly and I think something bound up on my mechanicals which caused my brown out.... I dunno.
Rockin G is offline Find More Posts by Rockin G
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:40 AM
Braselton Ga
Joined Apr 2009
505 Posts
This week end flying was good. Did bend one of the gear and when trying to bend it back the gear snaped. I may replace them both.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 01:13 PM
United States, OH, Johnstown
Joined Mar 2013
11 Posts
Good day and good reading in this thread...I've read it thru several times actually. Luckily it's not as long as the P-51 PTS thread on RC Universe. Ha, ha

Anyway, I'm in the process of putting mine together and I wondered if anyone has pics of a DLE 20 install? Or any other gas set up would be cool.

I have it all figured out (I think anyway) and I was curious where everyone put the "stuff".

Oh, one more question, the prop nut is a little farther away from the firewall than the manual suggests. Is this a problem? I'm assuming it's not just because I know people run the DLE in these planes however I've never had this happen before (the P-47 is my 3rd ARF in as many months).

Thanks in advance,
Aaron
aaroncmh is offline Find More Posts by aaroncmh