HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 28, 2005, 05:38 PM
Hoofddorp, Netherlands
Joined Sep 2004
3,917 Posts
Finished my modified EasyStar with a first white base of acrylic polyrethane paint from the DIY and then simple acrylics brushed on. I thought I-d go for a high visibility paint scheme.....
Arthur P. is offline Find More Posts by Arthur P.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2005, 08:56 PM
Australia, NSW, Katoomba
Joined May 2002
5,435 Posts
ARTHUR.

You certainly won't loose sight of your EZ* with that colour scheme.

How much did the painting add to your all up weight.??

Cheers. Paddy.
oldpilot is offline Find More Posts by oldpilot
Old Aug 30, 2005, 04:14 PM
Hoofddorp, Netherlands
Joined Sep 2004
3,917 Posts
As I did multiple modifications (rudder, motor) and didn't weigh in between I really don't know what the weight penalty was. But then this isn't a 3D ultralight profile flyer. In fact even with a big 2000 mAh 3S LiPo pack all the way in the nose, it is still a handful in winds of about 20mph due to light wing loading even thought the RTF weight then is 700 grams. You might be able to deduce approx. what the weight increase was form the weight of the wings alone: with the carbon tube joiner they're weighing in at 217g now. Anybody know the weight with only the stickers but no paint?

By the by, how's Jerusha coming along, Paddy? Say hello to her from the Netherlands.
Last edited by Arthur P.; Aug 30, 2005 at 04:20 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 07:24 PM
Australia, NSW, Katoomba
Joined May 2002
5,435 Posts
ARTHUR.

700gm is not too heavy. Thats under 25oz. Some EZ* pilots are reporting weights of 30+ oz.!!! and still flying well, (just a little faster).

Jerusha is getting out of hospital tomorrow, but will still be on outpatient rehab for a while yet. She is thrilled at the prospect of leaving "Boarding school".

Cheers. Paddy.
oldpilot is offline Find More Posts by oldpilot
Old Aug 31, 2005, 02:00 PM
Hoofddorp, Netherlands
Joined Sep 2004
3,917 Posts
With a 145g 5 megapixel camera and a light ply mount for it I should still be under 900g. See the g's if subjected it to flying in 20mph winds at top speed and pulling it through turns within it's own length, I'm not too worried about the wings during more leisurely AP flights in the near future.
Old Sep 06, 2005, 09:42 PM
noob
Montreal
Joined Aug 2005
6 Posts
connectors

Hi folks,

I ordered an easystar from HobbyLobby a few weeks back. Now I have a Tx so did not buy the "kit." I ordered the pieces I needed from what they suggested.

One of them was the JES012 Jeti 12 Amp Microprocessor Motor Controller and the PC11X7F 7 Cell 1100 mAh Folded NiMH w/Connector.

The batteries don't seem to have a compatible connector to hook up to the controller. Is this a mistake or am I to order it seperately. If thats the case, would I be able to source this easily at a good hobby shop?

thanks in advance.
Dakabezo is offline Find More Posts by Dakabezo
Old Sep 07, 2005, 03:15 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,347 Posts
connectors are all non-standard in this e-flight business. A real mess in my opinion.

I have standardized on three connectors.

Deans Ultra plug for all applications over 5 amps
RED BEC connectors ( GWS style) under 5 amps
Futaba J connectors for all servos/electronics ( Hitec plugs will fit)

When I get anything, I either order with these plugs or I clip what is on there and put one of these on. That is the only way to make sense of these plug issues.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Sep 09, 2005, 10:13 AM
noob
Montreal
Joined Aug 2005
6 Posts
I have a couple of HS-55's from a heli I trashed. Would I be making a mistake using them in my easystar. I have HS-81's ...which should I use?
Dakabezo is offline Find More Posts by Dakabezo
Old Sep 09, 2005, 11:01 AM
"SARGE"
Fairfax Station, (Northern) Virginia
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
Perfect. The 55's for the EZ and the 81's for your Unicorn Wing.
sargentw is offline Find More Posts by sargentw
Old Sep 09, 2005, 04:51 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,347 Posts
Sargentw beat me to it. You are all set!
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Sep 15, 2005, 08:21 PM
"SARGE"
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
Another Rudder Mod

Adding balsa oracovered rudders is nothing new. Here's my approach.

Checking back in this thread you can see the simple rudder modification I made to the stock plane. For most situations it works fine. After flying the EZ it would be nice to have a little more turning power when working thermals and doing simple stunts. I've increased my Rudder size by 50%. There is no way I would want to cut the size of the fixed vertical tailfin and risk instability.

I had some extra high quality balsa elevons hanging around. Perfect for cutting and shaping a new rudder for the EZ.

I have coroplast too that I use for winglets on Combat wings, but I like nice strong balsa for control surfaces; you can sand it shape it just like you want it. When sprayed with 3m77 and covered with oracover it becomes very strong and smooth.

The first picture is of a balsa flying wing elevon ready to cut to shape.

Update: 5/29/09. It was pointed out to me that I should move my Rudder control horn connector to an outer hole for more precision. I have done this and still have plenty of throw left on the rudder. I'll post a picture when I get a chance.
Last edited by sargentw; May 29, 2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 08:22 PM
"SARGE"
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
Here is a picture of the rough cut rudder propped up for size.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 08:24 PM
"SARGE"
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
Another picture of the rudder. The front is left thick and beveled. The trailing edge has an even taper on both sides.
Last edited by sargentw; May 29, 2009 at 10:30 AM.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 08:26 PM
"SARGE"
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
Here is the rudder getting a good jolt of 3m77 spray. Use a spray box with stik pins to elevate the work. The box will help keep the spray from getting all over everything.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 08:29 PM
"SARGE"
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
The oracover is cut and trimmed and put on one side of the rudder. All the little triangle cuts make it easy to fold over easily. I'm not a professional oracover man so we improvise on techniques.