HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2002, 08:54 AM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
FVK Prima 400

I only find one post on the FVK Prima 400, made by kingpost who seems very happy w/ the plane. .. anyone else have any experience w/ this R/E speed 400 thermal ship?.. I need something relaxing
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2002, 09:31 AM
Faded away
Joined Nov 2001
652 Posts
What happened to flying around with your 'pant's on fire', Tic?

There are several good 400 sailplanes out there and I suspect they all fly about the same... 500 to 600 fpm climb, 3 or 4 climbs per charge, nice relaxing thermalling. Just pick one out that has low wing loading (about 7 oz) and enjoy.

Dave
Dave Seay is offline Find More Posts by Dave Seay
Old Jan 21, 2002, 09:34 AM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
Oh, I DO enjoy the bandit... but hey, my brain isn't always in warp drive.. must be a sign of old age.. LOL
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old Jan 21, 2002, 10:28 AM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,493 Posts
tic,

First the Bandit, now an S400 glider? There are some horrible parallels emerging here - you know it leads to Zagidom, don't you?

Looking at the Prima on the FVK site;

http://www.fvk.de/Englisch/Prima.html

It seems like a conventional balsa wing. Compare this to the hi-tech glory of models like the Koleus/Highlight or the Little Star. I'd suspect that the low price of this model might reflect in it's performance when compared to the others. I could be wrong, OK?

In the UK the Prima is 80, the Koleus and Little Star are 125, while the FVK Simply the Best is a whopping 170!

Then add the cost of a Hacker brushless.....

tim
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old Jan 22, 2002, 12:11 AM
Hey, I wanna fly too!
United States, TX, Justin
Joined Sep 2001
223 Posts
Hey Tic, from a second-hand point of view, it's a winner. My flying buddy picked one up this summer and has really enjoyed it. It's a good looking plane, built nice (strait) and quick to finish out. And it's taken a fair share of abuse (yea Chris, I know the tree wasn't there a second ago ) and is still in one piece. It's been flown on dd and geared 400s with batteries from 500s to 1700s. I've flown it a couple of times and would give it "two thumbs up".

Terry
tphillips is offline Find More Posts by tphillips
Last edited by tphillips; Jan 22, 2002 at 12:13 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2002, 01:04 AM
Making Cuisinarts Fly!!!!
Richardson, Texas
Joined Dec 2001
298 Posts
OK. As tphillips mentioned those damn trees just jump out at you. I own the Prima in question. The incident with the tree left me with a customized nose. I had a sp 400 DD with 6x3 folder on a 1600 RS pack. The batteries were low and I was hunting for thermals over some trees. About the same time 15 people come in from two cars/trucks to the picnic area I was flying at. I look over to assess the situation and by the time I look back to the plane I am headed for a tall branch. Not enough power to climb and not enough room to mis it. I tag the limb and it 360's into the ground nose first. Pops the firewall and pushes the prop into the fuse about 1/4 inch on each side.

The Prima stock had a tendency to want to nose up under power. CG was spot on for glide. When I repaired it I added some down and side thrust. It really didn't help.

As far as a mini review, I love this plane. I have had it in the air for over thirty minutes in 20 mph winds ( no thermalling ). This was after I installed the 4:1 gb and 11x8 prop with the 6v sp 400. I got the motor/GB on sale during the hobby lobby x-mas sale.

The wings and fin/stab are built up and the fuse is glass. It is a strong plane for how light it is. I have looped it a couple of times and spun it around on landing with no damage.

Aside from the power on pitch up the bowden cables and servo mounting was a little of a pain but no hill for a climber. I ended up making a hobby ply RX/servo tray for the RC gear. With the gear box I lost my motor cooling slots. I will have to take care of that bit before any more long flights. Other than that, I love this plane.

This one is a floater that you will want to keep for a long time.

I bought mine at www.eam.net. If you get yours from Dave, tell him Chris said, "Hi".
RCAddict is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict
Last edited by RCAddict; Jan 23, 2002 at 01:08 AM.