SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 18, 2014, 01:11 AM
Joined Aug 2014
2 Posts
Question
Outrunner sometimes sticking when turned by hand

Just a few days ago I finished putting together a mini quad using Cobra 2204 1960kv motors and apart from already having two of my 12a RCTimer SimonK ESC's going up in flames on separate occasions, the quad flies well.

I noticed yesterday that three of the motors turn freely and consistently by hand. However one of the motors sometimes "sticks" at certain points when turning it by hand. It doesn't get stuck all the time, but every few turns it feels like it catches a bit on something and needs a little more force to get it out of the stuck position.

The quad still flies well and all motors seem to be operating normally when flying. My experience is very limited though.

What could be causing the motor to stick? I haven't disassembled the motor and everything looks ok. Just want to know if I should be sending this motor back for a replacement. Thanks.
Josh80 is offline Find More Posts by Josh80
Last edited by Josh80; Aug 18, 2014 at 03:51 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2014, 09:56 AM
Fenton,MO USA
Joined Aug 2005
1,269 Posts
If you can send it back please do and do not use that motor. Four things that I know it can be. Others probably know a few others.

1)Bad Bearing
2) Lose or broken magnet
3) winding rubbing magnet
4)missing shaft and bearing spacer on some motors.

I would put my money on a bad bearing.
Just repaired a buddys brand new motor.
It had a bad front bearing new out of the box.

Blazer
BlazerB52 is offline Find More Posts by BlazerB52
Old Aug 21, 2014, 04:09 PM
Joined Apr 2008
56 Posts
Also, could be a piece of dirt or grit of sand.There is no room for anything that isn't motor.
c.sitas is offline Find More Posts by c.sitas
Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:21 PM
Joined Aug 2014
2 Posts
Thanks. After a couple flights the motor sticking problem seems to have gone away.

The motor actually only ever got stuck when I would rotate it by hand back and forth quickly. If I rotated it just in one direction, it would spin freely.
Josh80 is offline Find More Posts by Josh80