HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 13, 2014, 05:26 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,499 Posts
Discussion
Heli Pad Review Series: Cheerson CX-10 4CH 6-Axis "Pico" Quadcopter

Good Things Come in Small Packages

My Cheerson CX-10 showed up at my door yesterday, and I am absolutely blown away by it. Good things do come in small packages! As far as I know, this is one of the smallest Quads in the world today, if not the smallest. Before getting to know this CX-10, my previous smallest Quad was the WL-V272, same size as the Hubsan H111 and Estes Proto X Nano Q. The V272 is 50mm and weighs 13.50g. This CX-10 is 45mm and weighs just 12.08g! But I think the CX-10 looks way better and works way better.

Cheerson is a very new brand name. But the company is not brand new. I learned that it is an old and familiar name in the toy industry, which decided to renew its products and image. Cheerson has this CX-10, a similar size CX-11, and the larger CX-20. But if think that CX-20 is twice as big as the CX-10, you couldn’t be more wrong. The CX-20 is a 350 size GPS BL Quad that has many of the features of the DJI Phantom, but at about 1/3 of the price!

The CX-10 comes in 4 different colors you could choose from: Orange, Blue, Green, and Pink. Each unit is wrapped in a lexan package. It is a nice presentation.

What’s in the Package?

The Cheerson CX-10 RTF Kit comes complete with:
• 1 x CX-10 Quadcopter
• 1x 100mAh Lipo battery installed
• 1 x 4Ch Transmitter (Mode 2)
• 1 x Replacement Prop Set (Qty. 4)
• 1 x USB Recharging Cable
• 1 x Manual (PDF)

Meet the Cheerson CX-10

Like the Hubsan H111 design, the CX-10 basically is a flying PCB with Lipo, motors, and props. But unlike Hubsan, which spent 10 seconds to snap on a canopy and called it the day, Cheerson gives the CX-10 a full body shell. The shell basically consists of an upper half and a lower half, with the PCB sandwiched in between and secured with 4 screws. It gives the Quad a “finished” look and it protects the motors and adds strengths to the PCB. Unlike the Hubsan, both the charging plug and the on/off switch is concealed.

They both use 6x12mm motors. But Hubsan places the Lipo over the PCB, raising the center of gravity and forces the Quad to use long, tall props so that they would clear the battery and the tall canopy. Cheerson places the Lipo below the PCB, concealed in the shell. Sure there is not much ground clearance. But this is a tiny flying Quad. It’s not carrying an under carriage camera. Who needs ground clearance? The Cheerson clearly has the better design with lower center of gravity and lower overall profile.

Although it is small, the CX-10 sports a 6-Axis gyro with accelerometers. It is stable out of the box, and it is so easy to control. All the props are white, so the CX-10 looks about the same from all sides. But the LED at the corners are bright and helpful with orientations. The front arms are lined with Blue LEDS, and the rear arms are lined with Red LEDs, kind of like brake lights.

No, the CX-10 does not have Dual Rates. Instead, it has Triple Rates. You get to choose low, medium, and high rates. How about that for the little guy, huh? Relative to its size, the CX-10 is a speeder at high rate. It has good wind penetration, because I don’t think it is large enough to be detected by wind. LOL.

Does this little CX-10 do flips? Boy, does it do flips! The CX-10 has some of the tightest flips I have ever seen in micro Quads. It takes very little room to pull off a flip. It does extremely tight flips and it recovers extremely well. Hubsan could sure learn something from this one. The flips are gated also, you have to press the cyclic stick down to engage the flip mode before doing flips. In other words, there are no annoying accidental flips.

A USB charging cable is provided for charging the Cheerson CX-10. The charging cable looks almost identical to the one that comes with a SYMA micro helicopter. If you are tempted to use a SYMA charging cable on this CX-10, DON’T. While the plug is the same, the polarity is opposite! Typical charging time is about 30 minutes because of the small capacity of the Lipo. A fully charged Lipo gives about 4.5 minutes of flight.

The props on the CX-10 are about 30mm in span. They are small and brittle. They could get bent or break rather easily. Fortunately, replacement props and replacement parts in general is very affordable.

The Transmitter (Tx)

The Tx looks the same as the H111, V272, and nano Q. It is tiny, but well contoured. It feels very good in the hands. Sticks and buttons match the color of the Quad. It takes 2x AAA batteries to operate. It is in bind mode every time it is powered on. You need to toggle the throttle sticks all the way up and then down to arm the Quad. Depress the left stick to cycle through the low, medium, and high speed modes. Depress the right stick to engage flip mode.

So far, I have not been able to bind the CX-10 with anything except with its stock remote. The stock remote is rather well made. But it will be absolutely nice if this protocol would be able to bind with a Deviation controlled Tx. (Edit: I learned that the protocol is now supported by Deviation, using the YD717>Sky Walkr protocol, and I have bound it to my Devo 7E now).

More edits: After writing this review, I ordered 3 more CX-10. When they arrived, they looked exactly like the first one, but the internal electronics were different. The original one has a RED FC board. The new ones have a GREEN FC board. In addition, to the color, the Tx/Rx protocol has also been changed. At the moment, Deviation could only work with the red board, and not the green board. If you don't own a DEVO radio, it is of no concern to you. The green boarded CX-10 performs just as well as the red version. It is very stable and flips are very tight. But pay attention to the color of the board if you ever need to order a replacement.

Summary

Compared with its closest competition which is the Hubsan H111 or its variants, this Cheerson CX-10 really stands out. This is a model that I highly recommend. Cost wise, it is about 60% of its competitor’s, yet it delivers a great over package with looks, functionality and performance. While it is one of the smallest Quad in the world, its achievements are anything but small. As far as I'm concerned, the most limiting factor of the CX-10 is the flight time. What is the best way to extend the flight time? Buy two. Or three. Get multiple ones, and cycle them through. I think I am stocking up for Christmas.

Pros
• Very stable 6-Axis Gyro System
• Excellent build quality
• Full body Quad, good protection
• Convenience of an On/Off Switch
• LED lights for orientation
• 3 Selectable Speeds
• Excellent Flips with lockout
• Excellent price
• Very affordable replacement parts

Cons
• Under 5 minutes of flight time and soldered in battery
• Brittle props

Want one, or two, or four?

Cheerson CX-10 Order Link

Video

Cheerson CX-10 2.4G 4CH Super Mini Rolling RC Quadcopter - Banggood.com (1 min 59 sec)

Photo Gallery
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Last edited by Heli Pad; Jul 24, 2014 at 12:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2014, 05:26 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,499 Posts
CX-10 Parts List

Order available replacement parts by simply clicking on the pictures of the parts below:

Cheerson CX-10 RTF Kit (4 available colors)

CX-10 Body Shell (4 available colors)

CX-10 Spare Props

CX-10 Replacement Motors (6x12mm)

CX-10 100mAh Lipo Battery (single) or 5-packs

CX-10 Receiver (Red)

CX-10 Receiver (Green)

CX-10 USB Charging Cable

CX-10 Replacement Remote (4 available colors)

CX-10 Replacement Screws
Last edited by Heli Pad; Jul 24, 2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 05:27 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,499 Posts
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers

Q: Could the CX-10 be bounded to my Spektrum DX6?
A: No, not with the DX6 because that is DSM only. But if you have a Walkera Devo Tx, you could flash it with Deviation, and add a nRF24L01 Tx module. Then you could use the YD717 protocol with the "Sky Walkr" sub class, and it will bind with the CX-10. I bound mine to the Devo 7E.

Q: I couldn't get the CX-10 to hover easily, any suggestions?
A: Try resetting the accelerometers by first placing it on a level surface, then by holding the left stick to the lower left corner and the right stick to the upper left corner for a few seconds. When the lights on the CX-10 starts blinking, it will recalibrate its accelerometers. After that, you should be able to achieve level flights much easier.

Q: Is the User Guide available in English On-line?
A: PDF Manual
Last edited by Heli Pad; Jul 24, 2014 at 12:18 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 05:27 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,499 Posts
Motor Stabilization
Is your CX-10 dashing in direction that you couldn't stop with full opposite stick? If so, you have a CX-10 Dashing Problem. What you need to do is to stabilize the motors, so that they do not confuse the gyro.
Details of the Mod.
Last edited by Heli Pad; Sep 08, 2014 at 01:09 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 08:21 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Dec 2012
160 Posts
I've always liked the thought of these really small quads, but I can never get around the fact that my hands are big, and those controllers are really, really small.
sodaant is offline Find More Posts by sodaant
Old Jun 13, 2014, 09:02 PM
GOT WINGS
United States, TX, Wilbarger
Joined Apr 2012
2,421 Posts
I think SebyDocky reported on his thread that it can be flown with the Deviated Devo 7E.
siriusflier is offline Find More Posts by siriusflier
Old Jun 14, 2014, 01:52 AM
France, PACA, La Valette-du-Var
Joined Dec 2012
4,451 Posts
Great and full detailed review Heli
SeByDocKy is online now Find More Posts by SeByDocKy
Old Jun 14, 2014, 01:54 AM
Joined Dec 2012
4,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusflier View Post
I think SebyDocky reported on his thread that it can be flown with the Deviated Devo 7E.
Correct
Old Jun 14, 2014, 01:59 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6,499 Posts
Hi, SBD. That's good news. Thanks for stopping by.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 08:20 AM
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Feb 2013
949 Posts
I asked you months ago why you & Daryoon didnt seem interested in the proto x and you said it was because it was too small. Glad to see you've joined the tiny quad club with a great review
handy2 is offline Find More Posts by handy2
Old Jun 14, 2014, 06:25 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,499 Posts
You're right. I should have listened to you.

This little guy is Growing on me. LOL.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 02:55 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6,499 Posts
SBD, after upgraded it to a Nightly, I got the Devo7E to bind with CX-10. But I am having a strange Yaw issue. When I push FORWARD, the CX-10 will go forward, and yaws right at the same time. When I pull it back, it will come back and yaw left. But you're not seeing that problem?
Old Jun 15, 2014, 02:57 AM
Joined Dec 2012
4,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
SBD, after upgraded it to a Nightly, I got the Devo7E to bind with CX-10. But I am having a strange Yaw issue. When I push FORWARD, the CX-10 will go forward, and yaws right at the same time. When I pull it back, it will come back and yaw left. But you're not seeing that problem?
Are u sure that you subselected the 'Sky Walkr' option Inside the YD717 protocol ?
Old Jun 15, 2014, 08:57 AM
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Feb 2013
949 Posts
Heli pad. You are aware Cheerson has 3 quads not 2. The cx11 which is like the proto x style and was not mentioned in your first post
handy2 is offline Find More Posts by handy2
Old Jun 15, 2014, 09:06 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeByDocKy View Post
Are u sure that you subselected the 'Sky Walkr' option Inside the YD717 protocol ?
No, I didn't. And that's exactly what I missed. Thank you for your help.