HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Very Creepy, But Bugtastically Awesome!! Robugtix T8

I am not a fan of spiders, but I have to say, I’d love to see this one up close and personal!

Splash

Creepy Crawly Goes Hitech!

I really do not know how I ended up finding a story about a remote control spider, but I did. And I have to say this little guy seriously grabbed my attention! It is awesome! The way the developer has the arms articulating is seriously amazing. Then as i was researching the product, i found a video of Adam Savage from Myth Busters and he had bought one and was demoing it. Just way too cool! Check this out!

T8 is a bio-inspired high resolution 3D printed robot that uses a total of 26 servo motors. It is powered by the Bigfoot™ Inverse Kinematics Engine.

The Bigfoot™ Inverse Kinematics Engine handles all the complex math calculations necessary for controlling multi-legged walking robots. All computations are safely hidden from the user in the form of a black box. This means that the user only has to send short and simple commands to the robot (for example, instructing it to walk forward at a desired speed) and the engine will automatically take care of all the details, including inverse kinematics, leg trajectory planning, leg gait coordination, motor control, etc. This makes it quite easy even for absolute beginners to play with advanced robotics.

Commands are sent and received via wireless XBee. Optionally, you can connect your own serial communication method with the provided Rx/Tx pins.

You can choose between pre-programming your own sequences or directly controlling the robot in real time with the wireless Robugtix™ Controller.

A Heavy Duty Protective Case for T8 is available for purchase as a separate accessory.

The T8 spider robot will be shipped 98% pre-assembled and fully calibrated!

What's included:

• A complete set of high resolution 3D printed parts of the T8
  • T8 microcontroller board pre-loaded with the Bigfoot™ Inverse Kinematics Engine
  • 26 Hitec HS-35HD servo motors
  • Fasteners and miscellaneous mechanical parts

T8 the Bio Inspired 3D Printed Spider Octopod Robot (1 min 52 sec)

SPIDER RUMBA!

T8 3D Printed Octoped Robot - Spider Salsa Rumba! Halloween 2013 (1 min 18 sec)

Check out Adam Savage and his T8!

Inside Adam Savage's Cave: Awesome Robot Spider! (10 min 46 sec)

For more information check out: ROBUGTIX

Last edited by Sleepyc; Jan 13, 2014 at 08:07 PM..

Discussion

Old Jan 14, 2014, 10:05 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,225 Posts
I have a T8X pre-ordered (same but more of a mass produced one, and cheaper). I am excited that they claim it will be able to be controlled remotely via Wifi from any internet connection. I plan on replacing the button in front with a camera and FPVing it remotely

Just gotta figure out a way to get it to connect to a charger remotely.
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old Jan 14, 2014, 10:31 AM
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2012
957 Posts
Take a rechargeable toothbrush apart and use the wireless batter charger. That way you may be able to make it sit on the charger and recharge.
jwellsy is offline Find More Posts by jwellsy
Old Jan 14, 2014, 06:26 PM
obey gravity, it's the law
USA, IL, Rockford
Joined Nov 2005
430 Posts
I want one, that was too cool. Watching Adam Savage talk about it sold me, if he's that impressed with it I trust I'm not buying some cheap pos from china that will later piss me off because I spent $550.
I think it said along with the wifi it comes with a charging station, hopefully cordless.
How cool would FPV be with this

John
Flying glass is offline Find More Posts by Flying glass
Old Jan 14, 2014, 08:17 PM
obey gravity, it's the law
USA, IL, Rockford
Joined Nov 2005
430 Posts
Think I will spend the $ now to save that much
Flying glass is offline Find More Posts by Flying glass
Old Jan 30, 2014, 11:15 PM
United States, FL, Hastings
Joined May 2013
72 Posts
My wife just came across this article and showed me. I'm scared to death of spiders, but she LOVES them. But oddly, the first words out of both our mouths was, "I WANT ONE!" This is just tooo cool; and a great way to get my wife into the hobby!
Condor84 is offline Find More Posts by Condor84
Old Feb 03, 2014, 01:38 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,387 Posts
Have any of you got your hands on one of these yet?
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bush Pilots- AK
Old Feb 22, 2014, 10:54 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Nov 2011
47 Posts
Won't be seeking these until June. I just reserved mine! Can't wait. An FPV spider would be awesome to creep around work.
jrwperformance is offline Find More Posts by jrwperformance
Old Mar 20, 2014, 06:26 AM
Joined Jan 2014
1 Posts
super cool! It can even be used for halloween's tricks! Looks very real and creepy but I like it a lot!

nudegirls
dustinharper is offline Find More Posts by dustinharper
Last edited by dustinharper; Mar 20, 2014 at 06:41 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 08:58 AM
Florida
Joined Dec 2001
371 Posts
OK, I keep seeing the word, "realistic" used to describe this toy. While I think it's a cool toy, I'm not getting the realistic part. It looks like a toy... nothing at all realistic about how it looks.
CafeenMan is offline Find More Posts by CafeenMan
Old May 12, 2014, 09:21 AM
Leeds, UK
Joined Nov 2004
1,374 Posts
^^Realistic movement!

I was so tempted to preorder one.. but wife and everyone else said no.. and to be honest, once the fun and cool aspect of it wear off... in maybe a few hours.. I can't really see myself playing with it again.
Unfortunately there's not much you can do with it..
muscleflex is offline Find More Posts by muscleflex
Old Aug 04, 2014, 09:32 PM
Premier RC Hobby Store
Joined Jan 2014
16 Posts
splendid
HobbyEase.com is offline Find More Posts by HobbyEase.com
Old Aug 10, 2014, 04:25 PM
UAV Soldier
Joined Jul 2014
141 Posts
It looks cool, but not real. Far too big. Would be great for pranks but little else, unless it could actually climb walls :P
PsychopathRC is offline Find More Posts by PsychopathRC
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:31 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Nov 2011
47 Posts
Has anyone heard about them coming out? Anyone else put one on reserve? Supposed to be released very soon.
jrwperformance is offline Find More Posts by jrwperformance
Old Sep 07, 2014, 11:15 AM
Resistance is futile
United States, FL, Wildwood
Joined Jul 2005
1,097 Posts
I saw this a few months ago and was really impressed with the technology and the fluid movement. You guys that are talking about using this as a FPV spy at work or other places, just think about the cost of this thing and what peoples first reaction would probably be. I would be afraid that it would get stepped on, smashed, or even kicked by someone. This would make a GREAT Halloween prop as long as it would be out of reach so someone wouldn't take it.
I totally get what the one guy was saying about it having a short lived fascination, but I am sure that if you spend the money for this thing, you will come up with new and exciting ways to use it.

A bit too pricey for me right now, but maybe in the short future....
circuitfxr is offline Find More Posts by circuitfxr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Rogallo flies behind boat!!!