HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2013, 05:15 AM
United States, TN, Blountville
Joined Oct 2002
3,550 Posts
Welcome back John. Talkative bunch filled the gap.
Hope the extra noodling time helps your build turn out as you intend/ hope.
RAFster is offline Find More Posts by RAFster
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2013, 05:47 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,359 Posts
Thanks David

That is a cool site Hans. Has your/our trip planned out well.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Jul 11, 2013, 04:04 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,359 Posts
Finally back on the job. A little slow starting as normal after a down spell. Sort of like jet lag. Spent the morning dry setting the hinges on the wing surfaces. There are a lot of them!
Then finish sanded all of them and finally glassed. I have glassed surfaces all over the shop.
Trim them tomorrow and then glass the lower surfaces, except for the stab & elev, they are done.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2013, 04:18 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
United States, KY, Sturgis
Joined Jul 2007
2,501 Posts
J, slightly off topic,but, how do you connect your ESC's to your receiver on multi engine projects? Do you just do a Y-connector from 2 ESC's to the throttle connection on your receiver? Is it necessary to disconnect one of the power leads from one of the ESC's?

Tony
tpfing is offline Find More Posts by tpfing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: North Las Vegas 1971
Old Jul 11, 2013, 08:55 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,359 Posts
Tony,
Yep, just a Y-harness to connect them both to throttle channel. If you have escs with built-in BECs, then you have to disable the BEC on one of them by unplugging the red wire of the connector wire.
I don't need to do that here, the Turnigy Delux 80a Hv escs don't have a BEC, I'll have a separate rec pack for power.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2013, 09:49 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
United States, KY, Sturgis
Joined Jul 2007
2,501 Posts
Thanks J. I thought that was the case but blame it on on 'old age' and bad memory. I'm finally resurrecting my Vigilante after about 4 years. I'm just going to try to see if it will fly then maybe I'll work further on it. It will be a twin pusher. If not it doesn't fly, then.................

Tony
tpfing is offline Find More Posts by tpfing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: North Las Vegas 1971
Old Jul 11, 2013, 10:52 PM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
1,997 Posts
Looking good John.. Glad to see you back. When you finish the wings would you explain what you do to get the nice finish. I think that you dilute spackle?
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Jul 12, 2013, 06:04 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,359 Posts
Good for you Tony, the A-5 is a beautiful airplane. I always threatened to build one and never got around to it. Looking forward to seeing how it flies.

Thanks Ace,
I'll make sure I cover that well and it won't be long before I get to it.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 12, 2013, 02:56 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,359 Posts
Finished glassing the wings & stab/elev. I hope to use cut outs in the fuse for the gear doors but to hedge my bets I put packing tape on the nacelle bottoms and forward fuse. Then a coat of PVA and finally a 12 oz lay up. If I need I can use these for the doors.
This makes the majority of the glassing needed.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 12, 2013, 05:52 PM
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2012
487 Posts
Sounds like a True Naval dude..
jt
jpt62 is offline Find More Posts by jpt62
Old Jul 13, 2013, 08:56 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,359 Posts
OK Ace,
I'm prepping the wings for final finish. Normally I would dry sand the surfaces with 220 grit and then brush on a mix or poly/baby powder. Then dry sand that and brush on another coat. That coat would be wet sanded and should provide a good surface for primer.
This time I will be using the single edge razor blade to scrape the surface. It really takes the crown off quickly. Then I'll dry sand lightly with 220 before giving them a thinned coat of epoxy. Once that cures I will wet sand and it should be ready for primer.
I would really like to join the middle wing panels so I could mount the wings in the fuse but they are just too handy to work on the way it is now... apart. So I think I will get them in primer before gluing them together.
Right now I am in the middle of the process. I will treat the extra door lay ups the same.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2013, 02:38 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,359 Posts
While all the panels and control surfaces are curing, I started on the canopy plug. I like to get the shape right and then add 1/4" fanfold to the bottom and rear. That way I can trim back to fit and don't have to worry about being too small. I gave it two layers of 3 oz and it will get a coat of bondo before it's ready to pull.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2013, 09:48 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,445 Posts
Looking great. You seem to have found your building stride again after the break.
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Jul 14, 2013, 04:28 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,359 Posts
Thanks Bryan,
Yeah, feel like I'm more in the groove again now.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 14, 2013, 08:15 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,359 Posts
So I'm right in the middle of what I call grunt work. This glassing of the wings and control surfaces takes a WHOLE lot of time. I got up early and used the blade, scraping the surfaces and then sanding with 220 grit. After that it was a coat of thinned epoxy. That is curing now and after it does I can start wet sanding both sides for primer. But when I'm done they should be ready for panel lines. And once the panel lines are on the surfaces will be basically paint ready. All this work now hastens the build later.
I also trimmed and sanded the canopy plug and then applied bondo. Yeah, I know, I'm not very precise in how I apply it. That's what they make electric sanders for. I'm sure I will find some low places and voids while sanding and add'l spot coats of bondo will be required.
After wet sanding one nacelle I gave it a coat of primer. Due to the large weave in the 3 oz glass, there is a little weave showing in some places but another coat of build up primer should take care of it.
I didn't take any pics of all the rest laying all over the shop with epoxy curing. Not sexy enough for pics.

J
RCG Plus Member