HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:33 AM
Blue Stick's Dad
Westchester, Ca
Joined May 2003
1,006 Posts
Discussion
Help picking gear for Pica FW 190

I have a Pica FW 190 on my building board and I'm at the point in the wing build where I need to install the retracts. I've never bought retracts before so my knowledge is thin. I know I want mechanical or electric retracts and not air. The plane should have 74 degree gear in order to look right. The plane comes in at around 9-10 lbs in looking at other builders final weight. The wingspan is 63.5" (1/5 scale?). The struts on the plan are about 6" long. The total space allowed in the wing for the retracts is 11.5".

The plans don't mention any specs for what retracts to use. I'd like a more scale set so I'm leaning away from wire struts. What I want to know is the model number for a set of retracts that will work with this plane. Anyone know?
Brian Koester is offline Find More Posts by Brian Koester
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:43 AM
Joined Nov 2012
6 Posts
I'd go with Sierra Precision or Robart.
scalercer is offline Find More Posts by scalercer
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:01 PM
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,798 Posts
Shinden Machine makes retracts w/struts with the correct angle for the FW-190

http://shindinmachine.com/FW190/FW190.html

Looks like you'll have to contact them for a price.

Spring Air also makes a 74* set that is bored for a strut and is very reasonably priced, part #709

http://retracts.com/Retrax_700.htm

...and you could get just the struts from Shindin.

I have the 65" Platt -D9 and will probably be using the Shindin units when I rework the wing for retracts.
Hemikiller is offline Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Hemikiller; Jan 18, 2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:14 PM
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
United States, NY, St Lawrence
Joined Feb 2012
1,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Koester View Post
The wingspan is 63.5" (1/5 scale?). The struts on the plan are about 6" long. The total space allowed in the wing for the retracts is 11.5".
At 63.5" WS, the scale would be about 1/6.66, call it 1/7.
SrTelemaster is offline Find More Posts by SrTelemaster
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:52 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Narragansett, RI
Joined Oct 2000
3,190 Posts
I ordered the Spring Air retracts frm Spring Air for my PICA kit in October, I'm still waiting for them
Ken Lapointe is offline Find More Posts by Ken Lapointe
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:10 PM
Blue Stick's Dad
Westchester, Ca
Joined May 2003
1,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scalercer View Post
I'd go with Sierra Precision or Robart.
Which Sierra or Robart? That's my problem. I can't tell which gear from either of them would be best for my application.

BTW, I'm avoiding Air systems for two reasons. First, it's the system that's the most prone to failure with all the places in the system that could fail. And secondly, mine is an electric conversion and I want the space for my batteries where the air cartridge would go.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:15 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,403 Posts
You are looking for retracts for an out of production model designed when air systems were prevalent. In my opinion, they are still your best option.

Any leaks are usually the product of the model builder, not the manufacturer. Mine have proven to be trouble free.

These model tend to build tail heavy, so your batteries will most likey need to be placed in the fuel tank compartment.

With that being said, if you do decide to go with an air system, look for one that fits the more current, although also out of production, Top Flite 190 D. They were of similar size, so the retracts should be easily adapted to the Pica airframe.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:42 AM
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Koester View Post
Which Sierra or Robart? That's my problem. I can't tell which gear from either of them would be best for my application.

BTW, I'm avoiding Air systems for two reasons. First, it's the system that's the most prone to failure with all the places in the system that could fail. And secondly, mine is an electric conversion and I want the space for my batteries where the air cartridge would go.
Shindin will sell his retacts minus the air cylinders for those wanting to do an electric conversion.
Hemikiller is offline Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:25 PM
Blue Stick's Dad
Westchester, Ca
Joined May 2003
1,006 Posts
I managed to find my way back to the Lado retracts website. Last time I was there, there was a backlog of orders and not much for me. This time they seem to be up to date on orders. And I found some retracts that will fit perfectly all for $382 shipped. I got electric RS333 retracts at 74 degrees and the exact length struts I wanted. Plus I got some scale wheels and gear door brackets. Hopefully, I won't wait forever to get them.