SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 03, 2012, 01:02 PM
Joined Sep 2012
3 Posts
Help!
Walkera 1#A problem (spinning)

Hello everyone. I am new on heli stuff, so I would appreciate any assistance on my problem. I have Walkera 1#A helicopter and WK-2602 transmitter. The heli is spinning wildly and it's impossible to control it. When I add more throttle - it's spinning faster, when reduce throttle - slower. I made two videos and hopefully anyone will notice where is a problem. I hope there are problems only with my TX settings, not with heli itself... If needs to film other parts of heli to identify a problem, just let me know. Thank you.

Videos of my Walkera 1#A:

Walkera 1#A - rotate (0 min 56 sec)

Walkera 1#A - close (1 min 14 sec)

Gyro WK-G012 settings are:

DS mode - NOR (DS)
Reverse switch - NOR

WK-2602 transmitter (6 CH) settings are:

STICK MOD 2
E-P-A
ELEV - REV
AILE - NOR
THRO - NOR
RUDD - REV
GEAR - NOR
PIT - REV
AUX - OFF
BUZZ - OFF
EXP - OFF
PLT PIT - OFF
RUDMIX - NOR
RUDMIX GYRO - OFF

Elevator Trim - 50%
Throttle Trim - 50%
Rudder Trim - 50%
Aileron Trim - 50%
Aurimas is offline Find More Posts by Aurimas
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2012, 12:04 AM
Genius CP, V450D01, CB180Z
Canada, BC, Nelson
Joined Apr 2012
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurimas View Post
Hello everyone. I am new on heli stuff, so I would appreciate any assistance on my problem. I have Walkera 1#A helicopter and WK-2602 transmitter. The heli is spinning wildly and it's impossible to control it. When I add more throttle - it's spinning faster, when reduce throttle - slower. I made two videos and hopefully anyone will notice where is a problem. I hope there are problems only with my TX settings, not with heli itself... If needs to film other parts of heli to identify a problem, just let me know. Thank you.

Videos of my Walkera 1#A:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF06VOUqBpQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS4IyLAr85w

Gyro WK-G012 settings are:

DS mode - NOR (DS)
Reverse switch - NOR

WK-2602 transmitter (6 CH) settings are:

STICK MOD 2
E-P-A
ELEV - REV
AILE - NOR
THRO - NOR
RUDD - REV
GEAR - NOR
PIT - REV
AUX - OFF
BUZZ - OFF
EXP - OFF
PLT PIT - OFF
RUDMIX - NOR
RUDMIX GYRO - OFF

Elevator Trim - 50%
Throttle Trim - 50%
Rudder Trim - 50%
Aileron Trim - 50%
The first thing you need to do is check how the tail rotor lines up and that everything is working mechanically. Are the tail rotor blades lined up straight with your tail controls centered? Before you change anything on your remote, you should get it set up right mechanically.

You make small adjustments on your tail servo linkage until the blades are centered with your controls centered.

With the throttle on 0, moving the tail rotor controls right and left, is that all working smoothly? This would prove if your servo and transmitter are working correctly.

Start with that.
bradheli1 is offline Find More Posts by bradheli1
Old Sep 04, 2012, 07:50 PM
Joined Sep 2012
3 Posts
Thank you very much for response. Yes, tail blades lined up straight when controls centered.

First, I was mistaken about Gyro. Gyro reverse switch was REV. I reversed to NOR. Heli is spinning little slower, but still is not controllable:

Walkera 1#A - 4 (1 min 2 sec)

What I noticed:

1. When I am adjusting gyro with V1 konb, I am hearing continuous crackling sound. Only on 70-80% crackling disappears. Please watch video:

Walkera 1#A - 7 (0 min 43 sec)

2. It think that's a serious problem. When I hold main blades with my hand, I can rotate tail blades with another (it should be impossible). Hardly, but I can. Yet tail belt looks like very tight.

3. I found very strange that heli can lift up (if we can say so) only when throttle is over 80%. I noticed that parts below main blades are vibrating, like bearing out. Please watch videos:

Walkera 1#A - 5 (0 min 22 sec)

Walkera 1#A - 6 (0 min 55 sec)

4. When I move rudder stick to left - everything is fine, when to right - tail isn't going fully to right. Watch video:

Walkera 1#A - 3 (0 min 47 sec)

So, guys, any further ideas?
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:42 PM
Canada, BC, Nelson
Joined Apr 2012
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurimas View Post
Thank you very much for response. Yes, tail blades lined up straight when controls centered.

First, I was mistaken about Gyro. Gyro reverse switch was REV. I reversed to NOR. Heli is spinning little slower, but still is not controllable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh--rgYyYq8

What I noticed:

1. When I am adjusting gyro with V1 konb, I am hearing continuous crackling sound. Only on 70-80% crackling disappears. Please watch video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqDr4kejvAc

2. It think that's a serious problem. When I hold main blades with my hand, I can rotate tail blades with another (it should be impossible). Hardly, but I can. Yet tail belt looks like very tight.

3. I found very strange that heli can lift up (if we can say so) only when throttle is over 80%. I noticed that parts below main blades are vibrating, like bearing out. Please watch videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT8sDRmpkM0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwqqmkp7X0U

4. When I move rudder stick to left - everything is fine, when to right - tail isn't going fully to right. Watch video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QSo3K8ENxI

So, guys, any further ideas?
Something must be slipping.... Is the tail gear slipping on its shaft either at the front or the back? Obviously, you arent getting enough RMP or pitch on the tail rotor. But I see the operation of the tail looks right in the last video. There is a little pin that goes through the belt pully into the front and rear tail shaft. These stop the pully from spinning on the shaft. If one of those was missing, you'd get belt slip and the spinning you are showing.

I'm going for either a) the belt pulleys are slipping on the shaft or b) id the belt twisted, making it go in reverse? I can't tell from the video.
Last edited by bradheli1; Sep 05, 2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:44 PM
Canada, BC, Nelson
Joined Apr 2012
206 Posts
Also, is that main drive shaft wobbling? You will get nasty vibrations unless its perfectly straight. Its looks like the swash is set up level enough. Has this bird been crashed at some point?
Old Sep 06, 2012, 12:26 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,470 Posts
You have to adjust the tail rotor so it holds the tail in a hover. It appears you have the screws on the slider backwards as the nuts are interfering with movement. The head has some serious vibration. Did you buy that heli used?
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Sep 07, 2012, 07:29 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2012
201 Posts
I too am having almost the exact same issue on my cb180z, minus the head vibration...
Watching to see what develops!
KillerJupe is offline Find More Posts by KillerJupe
Old Sep 07, 2012, 09:49 PM
Canada, BC, Nelson
Joined Apr 2012
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerJupe View Post
I too am having almost the exact same issue on my cb180z, minus the head vibration...
Watching to see what develops!
I know CB180Zs pretty well. Check the tail gears, front and rear, and also the drive shaft. Of course you need the tail servo and the mechanicals on the tail rotor all lined up and working correctly.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 09:57 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2012
201 Posts
gears were ok... shaft seems to be stripped :/
dab of glue to hold it on till i can get a new piece.

There seems to be extra strain on the motor or something cause it won't spool up until I get it full throttle and then back off.

Can the gears be meshing too tightly and causing the extra drag?
KillerJupe is offline Find More Posts by KillerJupe
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:23 PM
Canada, BC, Nelson
Joined Apr 2012
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerJupe View Post
gears were ok... shaft seems to be stripped :/
dab of glue to hold it on till i can get a new piece.

There seems to be extra strain on the motor or something cause it won't spool up until I get it full throttle and then back off.

Can the gears be meshing too tightly and causing the extra drag?
Gears should be meshed correctly or they will wear or strip. Very tight is not good... there should be a tiny little bit of lash, or slop between the main gear and the motor. There are dozens of threads on here that talk about that adjustment. I adjust that a bit tighter if I'm flying with any damage on my main gear.

I just changed a tail shaft, that was spinning the tail rotor but was actually broken inside the tail boom. When pushed together, the tail rotor "seems" to run just fine, but that was just friction from the two broken parts of the shaft meshing. By holding the tail rotor lightlty and manually spinning the main blades, you can see if there is slip. Mine was spinning, without enough tail control... like you described until I found the broken shaft.

Its not that bad taking the boom off and inspecting shaft... maybe not quite as easy with one of the gears glued! Its a bit of a pain dealing with the center bearing... but not impossible.

I'm so tired of changing tail gears that I've bought the parts to convert this bird to a belt driven tail rotor like my other helis. These 180Zs are famous for taking out tail and main gears in any crash.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:58 AM
Joined Sep 2012
3 Posts
Hi everyone,

Thank you guys for help! I decided to send it for repair today. Will post here where the problem was.