HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:53 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2006
3,332 Posts
have you thought of using mixing for the thrust vectoring?
or is it needed for this plane to fly good?
paintz2007 is offline Find More Posts by paintz2007
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:10 AM
Joined Oct 2007
785 Posts
alas simply not enough channels!
rusty_y2k2 is offline Find More Posts by rusty_y2k2
Old Apr 15, 2012, 01:45 PM
Joined Oct 2007
785 Posts
So another update, albeit not a very exciting one.

Just got finished hooking up my power system... I didn't like the skinny wires on the eLogger v4, plus I needed them a bit longer... So I replaced them with some nice more substantial 12 AWG.... unfortunately I don't have any clear heat shrink so blue it is lol. Using EC5 connectors (my favourite battery connector!) I made the series harness directly on the eLogger and also used the 5mm bullets to hook up to the ESC (without the EC5 cases to save space).

As per the diagram on the previous page, you can see the vTX hooked up to take power from only one pack so my vTX doesn't explode.

Old Apr 21, 2012, 05:42 PM
Joined Oct 2007
785 Posts
so this is my updated wiring diagram, fixes a couple of mistakes on the first one, and some work on the cockpit!

So, Dexter arrived the other day and I proceeded to strip him naked and cut his hands off. I felt a bit bad about it but there you go...

I filled his jumpsuit with some cotton and stuck his hands inside the sleeves. As it turns out he was a bit big so I had to modify his jumpsuit slightly to make it a better fit. I haven't done much else but here's a sneak peek for you guys of the flying cockpit (dexter still even has his blood covered hands for now!). I'm thinking of keeping the hands as white gloves, but maybe a green would look better for the jumpsuit if I can find some appropriate dye.

As always, let me know what you think (video may take a few minutes to process, so check back a little later if it's not working)

Eurofighter FPV cockpit sneak peek 2 (0 min 40 sec)
Last edited by rusty_y2k2; Apr 21, 2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 09:01 AM
Joined Oct 2007
785 Posts
I fired up the EDF for the first time today, and holy crap the thing pulls. This thing is going to be a monster! I'm being a bit held back by the fact that the carbon I ordered for wing spars seems to have been lost in the post - no idea when it'll eventually turn up

Here's a vid of the cockpit again, but in daylight this time so you can see the whole cockpit a bit better... I also changed the angle a bit so it doesn't look like he's touching himself.

Eurofighter FPV cockpit daylight (0 min 46 sec)

I've also updated my wiring diagram yet again with some more details and additions. I tidied it up a bit and added more detailed wiring, I also added a G-force sensor, strobes (looking at the flytron units) for the wings, included the lighting array for the cockpit, added a LC filter for the power feed to the vTX and a set of caps to the power lines to the ESC to help reduce ripple.

(higher res http://www.flickr.com/photos/4349996...n/photostream/ )
Old Apr 22, 2012, 09:16 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,225 Posts
Looking good! I am curious to see how well the Guardian works. I have considerable wing rock when slowing down with any wind and was considering adding a gyro to one elevon. looking forward to the maiden video.
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:43 AM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,664 Posts
Man that id wicked build u got, nice!
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Apr 22, 2012, 03:43 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty_y2k2 View Post
... I also changed the angle a bit so it doesn't look like he's touching himself...
Now I spilled my coffee........ can't stop laughing.... now I know why you didn't add to the vid a sample from the camera itself.... Dexters a perv

Looks way cool though. The CF you can use any standard CF rod. I used 4mm hollow CF tube on my 2nd and 3rd and I made mine a little longer than the factory length so that the one end was anchored to the inner chamber wall. I.e. the construction is, |duct wall| air space |outer wall|. The factory anchors only to the outer wall.

I found the same conclusion as techspy for coatings. The only other way that I've tried epoxy resin is thinning it with Isopropyle.... I've had this conversations with others that doing so isn't good for the epoxy cure but it actually is fine. The Isopropyl burns off as the epoxy sets. Why its not recommended is for structure. If you are coating very thin balsa or doing a composite glass you need the full heavy strength of the epoxy. But since this is just a top coat you can thin it and apply it to the foam structure that already supports itself.

But even as a thin wash I've found WBPU and fine glass to be lighter and sufficient for foam. And again as he said for hard points you can go epoxy where needed.

Try it out on a wreck first though. Its very easy to lay this stuff on thick if you're heavy handed with the application. Best to do several thin layers of either.

Oh and a little trick I found for patching dents scratches etc is mix WBPU into your spackle. Make certain the spackle is ground finely, no chunks, and instead of water to reconstitute, use WBPU. It hardens and is more sand-able after but is still light.

Really looking forward to Dexter's vids flying....not the other stuff
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Maxthrottle; Apr 22, 2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 06:06 PM
Joined Sep 2007
764 Posts
awesome.
benderfly is offline Find More Posts by benderfly
Old Apr 22, 2012, 06:53 PM
Joined Oct 2007
785 Posts
Max, thanks as ever... Appreciated.

My choice of carbon is a bit more technical than you realise though lol. I am making the wings removable...

As such there will be two main spars of 8mm O/D woven CF tube extending well into the wing either side of the gear, running through a series of cross braces. These will then mate into two corresponding 10mm O/D, 8mm I/D woven cf tubes set into the fuselage.

That forms the basis of the main load bearing structure, a neodynium magnet at each extremity along with a locking pin of 5mm cf rod with appropriate plywood mating hole on the fuselage provides added security against torsional forces at the fore and aft.

I will then add a small wing locking mechanism, the details of which I am yet to devise!

The standard spar is used, cut short, merely to provide added rigidity down the length of the wing.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:08 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,373 Posts
Oh ya. Forgot you were going for the removable wings.

Since there is a inner and outer wall, you could add a lock pin between the walls.
You could add an access panel from the belly at the CF spar(s) to push a lock pin thru the sleeve into the rod.
The forward spar could be done the same way or just to stop rotation.

You sir just gave me an idea to do the same. Cool thanks.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:51 AM
Joined Oct 2007
785 Posts
Thanks for the pic - very useful.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 09:48 AM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty_y2k2 View Post
Thanks for the pic - very useful.
That pic by the way is a thinned epoxy glass belly. The wings were just epoxy wash....Thus the pealed pits off the foam.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 26, 2012, 04:50 PM
Joined Oct 2007
785 Posts
Thanks

So, not technically a build update... but thought I'd post it anyway - a bit of work on my new 10C, fitting the EZUHF.

I ordered a cheap futaba style module from hobby king and proceeded to gut it... I took the case and the connector, then set about figuring out which wires to connect to what. I then went a bit bodge it and came up with a simple way to secure the connector (yeah it ain't pretty but it's functional! note the epoxy over the top to secure the thin wires.)

module put back together and stuck to the EZUHF using double sided foam tape...

and module fitted to radio...

This way it's a bit neater, I can't accidentally knock loose the trainer connector for the EZUHF, and I am free to continue using the trainer port which is quite useful. Fit seems nice and solid, and no interruptions in power/signal despite wiggling it as much as it can move. Jobsa!
Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:54 AM
Joined Oct 2007
785 Posts
Just some small updates...

I've now finally finalised my final schematics for the final time! The results are below... I've re-jigged the schematics to more closely resemble real life, included more detail, added the removable cockpit unit, and also included a very small 210mah 4.8v buffer pack for the kontronik. It's maybe overkill but it's a cheap and light insurance against a BEC failure... if I monitor Rx voltage I can set an alarm that will tell me if it drops below a certain point, the BEC when functioning obviously should never do so. If the alarm goes off I therefore know I'm draining the emergency pack and can immediately try to land. Equally if the entire ESC explodes or shuts down, I'll have reserve power to land. The camera and vTX will still be feeding from the flight packs directly. When the system is functioning as it should, the ESC keeps the nimh pack topped up at all times, so there's no separate charging required.

I'm also happy to report that the PPM seems to work fine supplying both the OSD Pro and the decoder up front.

I also have been playing around the removable wing design in my head. I sketched up a quick diagram of what I'm going for I think - I welcome any comments on this design and am open to suggestions. I won't be relying on the magnets for holding the wing on, I will also incorporate a locking mechanism but I'm as yet unsure of the details.