HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:10 PM
Registered User
OnceAFly's Avatar
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
847 Posts
Nice to see you back Bob! I was just wondering where you go since the ban has lifted and now knowing all things well for you but no time to fly lol Man i miss the tinkering & brain storming time...(02S & Gcp time) Hope there is more to come!
OnceAFly is offline Find More Posts by OnceAFly
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:35 PM
Heli collector
livonia bob's Avatar
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceAFly View Post
Nice to see you back Bob! I was just wondering where you go since the ban has lifted and now knowing all things well for you but no time to fly lol Man i miss the tinkering & brain storming time...(02S & Gcp time) Hope there is more to come!
I go up to the cottage to do the work needed to be done up there,, then I come home and do the work needed to be done down here and repeat and repeat and repeat.. Throw in the hour I just spent looking for a missing chicken that I didn't find, hour for trip to post office to mail slipper shaft orders out, hour to go shopping for my wife as we were out of food for us and the cats. And then add in that at my age I no longer work 1:40 minutes and take a 20 minute break,, now it's work 20 minutes and take a 1:40 minute break..

I did swing by the flying field on the way home but nothing to fly with me and no one there.. Actually now that I think about it I might of had the V120D02S and TX, batteries and a charger in the back seat of the truck that I could of gotten out,,, but it was 5:30 and I had a guy coming to the house to give me a price on gutters at 6:00...
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2012, 02:29 AM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Spyro37's Avatar
Joined Jun 2009
2,169 Posts
Looks like Xheli is now offering the latest version (6axis):
http://www.xheli.com/walkeraheli-v120d02s-arf.html

AND, the rest of the Walker's 6axis':
http://www.xheli.com/newhelicopters.html
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 130X Build
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:42 PM
Heli Crash Survivor
Crash Survivor's Avatar
United States, AR, North Little Rock
Joined Feb 2011
1,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenechong View Post
my 2 lil' v120d02s are not able to fly for awhile..... =( I have prblem with the slipper clutch on one of them until i figure out how to make it spin smoother..... the other one had both main gear and rotor head pin stuck..... -=( till i get a saw to saw the main shaft and also the clutch fixed....i won't b able to fly them..... =(
When I installed Bobs slipper clutch it didn't spin very well. I rounded out 2 C gears for the install but in the process of working on it I had to put things up out of reach a few times due to my 2 year old daughter. When I had time to finish the install I put a rounded out B gear in where the C was suppose to go & it didn't spin freely. Looked at 1 of my other V120D02S & realized my mistake.
Crash Survivor is online now Find More Posts by Crash Survivor
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2012, 02:37 PM
Registered User
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Aug 2010
127 Posts
Tail spins out of control...

I took my V120D02S out of its carrying case, popped in a battery and the tail is out of control. It flew fine last time out...

I ordered a new tail servo and it came in today. Installed new servo and tried a test flight. No change still spins out of control. Servo seems to move slowly, but there is no binding anywhere in the tail. It all moves very freely. Tried resetting gyro and re-centering but it made no difference. Checked all transmitter settings and nothing has changed. It is as if the gyro has quit working.

Anyone experienced a similar problem or have any ideas. There may be something somewhere in this forum but I haven't had time to read through 400 posts...
winginman is offline Find More Posts by winginman
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2012, 02:54 PM
Registered User
United States, OR, Vernonia
Joined Dec 2004
126 Posts
You must have a stripped gear in the drive train.Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by winginman View Post
I took my V120D02S out of its carrying case, popped in a battery and the tail is out of control. It flew fine last time out...

I ordered a new tail servo and it came in today. Installed new servo and tried a test flight. No change still spins out of control. Servo seems to move slowly, but there is no binding anywhere in the tail. It all moves very freely. Tried resetting gyro and re-centering but it made no difference. Checked all transmitter settings and nothing has changed. It is as if the gyro has quit working.

Anyone experienced a similar problem or have any ideas. There may be something somewhere in this forum but I haven't had time to read through 400 posts...
iflyrvs1 is offline Find More Posts by iflyrvs1
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2012, 02:56 PM
Brent 黑雁
BThirsk's Avatar
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winginman View Post
I took my V120D02S out of its carrying case, popped in a battery and the tail is out of control. It flew fine last time out...

I ordered a new tail servo and it came in today. Installed new servo and tried a test flight. No change still spins out of control. Servo seems to move slowly, but there is no binding anywhere in the tail. It all moves very freely. Tried resetting gyro and re-centering but it made no difference. Checked all transmitter settings and nothing has changed. It is as if the gyro has quit working.

Anyone experienced a similar problem or have any ideas. There may be something somewhere in this forum but I haven't had time to read through 400 posts...
Any chance one of the tail drive gears are stripped out and the tail rotor won't get up to speed?
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2012, 03:04 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2008
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winginman View Post
I took my V120D02S out of its carrying case, popped in a battery and the tail is out of control. It flew fine last time out...

I ordered a new tail servo and it came in today. Installed new servo and tried a test flight. No change still spins out of control. Servo seems to move slowly, but there is no binding anywhere in the tail. It all moves very freely. Tried resetting gyro and re-centering but it made no difference. Checked all transmitter settings and nothing has changed. It is as if the gyro has quit working.

Anyone experienced a similar problem or have any ideas. There may be something somewhere in this forum but I haven't had time to read through 400 posts...
Hold the tail rotor and slowly turn the main rotors ..don't hold too tight, there should be no slipping of the tail rotor as the main rotor turns..it sounds asif you've stripped a gear in the tail drive train. It's either the umbrella gear that's stripped, or the hole where the drive shaft fits has rounded out on the A or B gear, it could also be that the main shaft locking collar has slipped, sothe main gear is not engaging properly with the drive gear.. I've had all the above happen to me, ..oh and also the tail gyro sometimes doesn't engage, and the heli spins , re bind and it works again...... I love this heli! I just wish I could get it to Tic Toc!

Sorry guys my mother-in-law was ramblingon so it took me longer to type a reply!
fishfiend is offline Find More Posts by fishfiend
Last edited by fishfiend; Aug 16, 2012 at 03:06 PM. Reason: loads of answers whilst I was typing
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2012, 07:40 PM
V120D02S, GCP
LarsDennert's Avatar
United States, CA, Pasadena
Joined Feb 2012
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro37 View Post
Yes it does, specially hovering this 6axis gyro.

Flew mine all morning yesterday. Brought several lipos & a charger. Was calm early morning, then got a bit windy later.
My observation:
- Right roll is not impressive, drifts to the left a lot after the roll, then noses up. Needs some good collective management.
- Left rolls is very nice and clean (pretty axial).
- Love the forward flips, nice and clean.
- Back flips is nice
- Inverted is very stable.

SUMMARY:
- OVER ALL, I LOVE THE HELI
- Difficult to keep SMOOTH fast forward flights. Flying fast forwards, don't let the right stick sit in the middle too long (like over a second) or this thing would "want to level" back (loosing my angle of attack) like my thumb is shaking.
- (Occasionally), Flying back and forth, climb up, then turn 180deg, to come back around is a bit ugly. The heli "seemed" to hit an "invisible wall", then, noses up, but again, it's probably caused by the right stick, stayed at the center, unknowingly.
- Be prepared as it could mess up your planned maneuver coming from fast forward.
- I wish I could turn OFF the 6 axis if I prefer to. As someone and
Ali had mentioned, the 6axis is always ON with this heli.
- It seemed to me that when the sticks are constantly moving, the heli stays on 3 axis, so no effect with the flying, or it (6 axis) doesn't messes up with the flying, maybe (?). If the sticks hit & stayed at the center for a second or 2, the 6 axis kicks in (?).

*All these comments based on stock set-up, and settings. I may play around with the gains next time.

Just my 2 cents,
-Spyro
Yep this sounds like typical 6axis like in the GCP. It is annoying and only useful for the newbie trying to learn to hover. After that it will be a headache and everyone turns it off. FF flight is virtually not possible. Keeping it out of automatic 6 axis mode would be nice.
LarsDennert is offline Find More Posts by LarsDennert
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:26 PM
Live to learn. . .
Rafa's CB100's Avatar
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsDennert View Post
Yep this sounds like typical 6axis like in the GCP. It is annoying and only useful for the newbie trying to learn to hover. After that it will be a headache and everyone turns it off. FF flight is virtually not possible. Keeping it out of automatic 6 axis mode would be nice.
Having both a Genius and a new V120, I can tell you that the application of 6 axis is completely different between the 2 models. I'm not saying the V120 is perfect, but it's a lot better that the Genius.

Rafa
Rafa's CB100 is offline Find More Posts by Rafa's CB100
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:10 PM
Registered User
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Aug 2010
127 Posts
Stripped gear tail rotor gear...

Yeah, looks like the D slot stripped. It's been so long since I stripped one of these I didn't even think about it. Duh, should have looked at first. When you turn the main rotor the tail rotor turns, but not the other way around. Lesson learned.... Thanks guys for helping me wake up.
winginman is offline Find More Posts by winginman
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:40 PM
V120D02S, GCP
LarsDennert's Avatar
United States, CA, Pasadena
Joined Feb 2012
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa's CB100 View Post
Having both a Genius and a new V120, I can tell you that the application of 6 axis is completely different between the 2 models. I'm not saying the V120 is perfect, but it's a lot better that the Genius.

Rafa
Does it only come with the automatic 6ax/3ax receiver now? I don't see a three axis one listed on Walkera's site. I hate the 6axis enough that I won't buy another heli with it. When I send the heli in a direction I want it to go in that direction, not stop on it's own and drift in different directions because it doesn't know which way is down.
LarsDennert is offline Find More Posts by LarsDennert
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:57 AM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2011
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winginman View Post
Yeah, looks like the D slot stripped. It's been so long since I stripped one of these I didn't even think about it. Duh, should have looked at first. When you turn the main rotor the tail rotor turns, but not the other way around. Lesson learned.... Thanks guys for helping me wake up.
You will have more of this problem (stripped 'B' gear) as you fly it longer....from crashes.....birds....leaf....ah whatever that could stop the main or tail blade spinning..GET BOB's SLIPPER CLUTCH before he hides away in the jungle....n it will save you heaps in the long run mate..... =)
eugenechong is offline Find More Posts by eugenechong
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2012, 02:30 AM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Spyro37's Avatar
Joined Jun 2009
2,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsDennert View Post
Does it only come with the automatic 6ax/3ax receiver now? I don't see a three axis one listed on Walkera's site. I hate the 6axis enough that I won't buy another heli with it. When I send the heli in a direction I want it to go in that direction, not stop on it's own and drift in different directions because it doesn't know which way is down.
3Axis 120D02S:
for Devo Tx:
(HK) http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/p11066/W...duct_info.html
(USA) http://www.wowhobbies.com/v120d02s_bodyonlynotx-2.aspx

for 260X Tx:
(HK) http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/p11067/W...duct_info.html
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 130X Build
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2012, 09:22 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2012
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenechong View Post
You will have more of this problem (stripped 'B' gear) as you fly it longer....from crashes.....birds....leaf....ah whatever that could stop the main or tail blade spinning..GET BOB's SLIPPER CLUTCH before he hides away in the jungle....n it will save you heaps in the long run mate..... =)
Alternatively, you can get BenMLee's slipper clutch. I bought it and am very impressed with its build quality. That being said, it's still in the box - I've been slipper clutch-free ever since I got my first D02S five months ago. I've only had to replace the tail gears or "A" gear three times. Learning how and when to apply throttle hold is very key with this heli. Last night throttle hold is what saved the gears when I got her upside down and applied too little negative pitch, shooting her straight into the grass upside down. I couldn't believe the servos survived too. Throttle hold was applied maybe 10-15 feet above the ground.

Though my luck will likely change when I get that Turbo Ace 815. I doubt throttle hold will allow the blades to slow down enough - I'll be installing the slipper clutch then.
OrbitalGolem is offline Find More Posts by OrbitalGolem
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion new heli from walkera HIKO400? xyzy2 Micro Helis 15 Jan 12, 2012 11:16 AM
Sold Align 70A ESC W/BEC from 500/550 class Heli NEW! HD Hucker Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 3 Oct 13, 2011 12:37 PM
Discussion Ultra Durable Diamond Mini Gyro 3 Channel Indoor Ready to Fly RC Remote Control Heli LittleG Coaxial Helicopters 32 Jan 14, 2011 12:55 PM
Discussion Walker 4#3 throttle problem new heli Ronon Micro Helis 2 Jan 24, 2009 04:22 PM