HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 05, 2011, 07:56 PM
Bass Cannon kick it! "WUB WUB"
Australia, NSW, Sutherland
Joined Dec 2010
2,644 Posts
I seriously would of got this instead of the DX6i except it came out 2 weeks too late.

Oh well 10 models is enough for me, other then that the backlight would of been my only reason to upgrade.
cloaked is online now Find More Posts by cloaked
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2011, 08:29 PM
Do u have my government cheese
United States, VA, Fredericksburg
Joined Feb 2011
54 Posts
Nice.

But I still want an DX8.
ffrcoupe is offline Find More Posts by ffrcoupe
Old May 05, 2011, 11:07 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,718 Posts
I cant see why a backlight would be a deal-breaker... There have been maybe a few times when I thought a backlight would be cool to have, but 99% of the time it would be useless to me....

$300 is a bit spendy for me though... $250 would be more in the ballpark... I guess when they start selling it sans reciver....

The closest thing to a "deal-breaker" for me is only 2 flight modes... that would be a downgrade from my DX7, but the proportional knob and telemetry make up for that in my mind....
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old May 05, 2011, 11:13 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,718 Posts
OH, and the throttle activated timer... thats the one thing I REALLY missed when I went from an optic 6 to a DX7....

If anything, thats the thing thats going to UN-break this deal for me....
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old May 05, 2011, 11:45 PM
Bass Cannon kick it! "WUB WUB"
Australia, NSW, Sutherland
Joined Dec 2010
2,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
I cant see why a backlight would be a deal-breaker... There have been maybe a few times when I thought a backlight would be cool to have, but 99% of the time it would be useless to me....

$300 is a bit spendy for me though... $250 would be more in the ballpark... I guess when they start selling it sans reciver....

The closest thing to a "deal-breaker" for me is only 2 flight modes... that would be a downgrade from my DX7, but the proportional knob and telemetry make up for that in my mind....
Deal breaker for me because of Glare, I cant see on my DX6i half the time.
cloaked is online now Find More Posts by cloaked
Old May 06, 2011, 12:32 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
A backlit screen is good, because on a bright day when you are wearing sunglasses, the Non backlit screen is nearly invisible.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old May 06, 2011, 06:11 AM
Joined Oct 2009
69 Posts
for that price, i would go for the Hitec A9..... More advanced for a good price...
gazzazh is offline Find More Posts by gazzazh
Old May 06, 2011, 07:03 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzazh View Post
for that price, i would go for the Hitec A9..... More advanced for a good price...
Not if you're like me and and have 25+ DSM2 planes you wouldn't.

I was hoping HH wouldn't come out with a DX7 replacement and Just lower the Price of the DX8 to bridge the gap.

This one is close, but no cigar.

I'll probably pick up a barely used one from someone upgrading to a DX8 at some point in the future, but I'm not going to run out and buy one. With a backlit screen, I probably would have.
Old May 06, 2011, 07:10 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
I was hoping HH wouldn't come out with a DX7 replacement and Just lower the Price of the DX8 to bridge the gap.
Considering that the telemetry module is not included in the DX7s set, you might as well get the DX8 "for a fistful of dollars more".

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old May 06, 2011, 08:48 AM
Park Stormer
United States, NJ, Brooklawn
Joined Jul 2008
823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzazh View Post
true, but HH has pushed spektrum harder, and is more entrenched in the market, and they know it. That's how they're able to get away with charging the same for a DX8 as the A9. (Hint, if this wasn't the case, HH would have released a spektrum module for the A9 by now)

Part of me wants a DX8 because it would mean one radio for both my UM planes, and my larger scale planes, as well as helis. Part of me doesn't because I know the A9 is the better radio.

Frankly, my love-hate relationship with Horizon continues. When they are actually innovating, as is the case with the aforementioned ultra micros, or the well balanced and extremely competitive DX6i, they are at the top of their game, and I'm ready to send them my paychecks directly.

But lately, between a sloppy DX8 launch, and an underwhelming and unwarranted replacement to the DX7, I'm not quiet sure who deserves my money anymore...
AggressorBLUE is offline Find More Posts by AggressorBLUE
Last edited by AggressorBLUE; May 06, 2011 at 09:00 AM.
Old May 06, 2011, 09:01 AM
Do u have my government cheese
United States, VA, Fredericksburg
Joined Feb 2011
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
Considering that the telemetry module is not included in the DX7s set, you might as well get the DX8 "for a fistful of dollars more".

Jürgen
ffrcoupe is offline Find More Posts by ffrcoupe
Old May 06, 2011, 12:45 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,748 Posts
As it happens, my DX8 is in at Horizon for a complete replacement. I may switch it to the DX7s if they change it to the backlit screen. They may do it as they do monitor the needs of us guys needs. Luckily I bought a used DX7 to replace the one I sold when I bought the DX8.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old May 06, 2011, 01:06 PM
USA, CA, Mountain View
Joined Dec 2007
933 Posts
Amortized on a monthly basis for how long I expect to use my next radio, the DX8 looks like the choice for me over the DX7s, although my DX7 is serving me fine at the moment. I hear good things about the A9, but I love the UMX stuff, and I already have a lot invested in DSM2 receivers.
7rider is offline Find More Posts by 7rider
Old May 06, 2011, 01:31 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
As it happens, my DX8 is in at Horizon for a complete replacement. I may switch it to the DX7s if they change it to the backlit screen. They may do it as they do monitor the needs of us guys needs. Luckily I bought a used DX7 to replace the one I sold when I bought the DX8.

Gord.
Is there problems with the DX8?
Old May 06, 2011, 02:54 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,748 Posts
Mine is one of the early versions although I did update it to the X version hoping it would fix the problems, namely, Wouldn't stay bound the the BNFs. Had to rebind it every time in order to fly. No problems with the DX7 in that respect at the same indoor at the same time. Had a few cold shutdowns at the field with the bigger 36 in. foamy Flash and Zoombi. Not nice to have them drop out of the sky at 30 ft. Same parameters used with the DX7 for yrs with no problems.Won't even take a chance on my bigger 50 sized and 1/4 scale planes with it. Hopefully the replacement DX8, or the DX7s fixes the problems. Willing to give it a chance.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2