SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 15, 2011, 07:29 PM
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2008
50 Posts
The product development and marketing groups at Horizon Hobby have us all figured out, don't they. They just keep producing these great new products and they time their release so we want or own them all. I am really impressed and glad we get this variety.
dtmtoyz is offline Find More Posts by dtmtoyz
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2011, 07:31 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
RG,

Now that Spring has sprung; watch out for that Beast!

Little plane: Big performance!
I know, I know, but for saturday and sunday, I have a flat line this week end, 12mph wind all across. Add a bit of rain for saturday, and maybe even some ?%?$& snowflakes!!!

Basically, just bad enough so I won't be able to fly outdoor this weekend . My Beast still look mint (still flying with original prop even!) and I would like to keep it that way as long as I can. Tonight, the wind died just after work so I flew it in the adjacent field, drove home, charged my batteries (I have only 5, counting original, plan to build more this weekend, since now, with the Sbach, it will be totally worth it) and flew again before sundown (wind picked up, around 8 or 9mph, so I screwed up all my landings!). Yep, I'm that crazy!

I suspect the Sbach may be a bit better in the wind than the Beast. But sure enough, I do like the power given by that little brushless motor (even more on the newer Sbach motor, cool!)
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Apr 15, 2011, 08:00 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,796 Posts
Mike,

Thanks for the video! Looks like she's an excellent flier. I'm very much looking forward to getting my hands on the sticks...

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2011, 08:21 PM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,028 Posts
Does anyone....

Does anyone think they will be able to hover this???? I've hovered my beast before (only a couple seconds) ... Crashed trying to get out of it though... Well, they always say, "If you aren't crashing, you aren't flying low enough"
Park_aviator is offline Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old Apr 15, 2011, 08:31 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Feb 2011
596 Posts
Best battery for the Sbach?

RCBabbel

Any thoughts on 2S Hyperion 240 vs 180 paks for this plane?

I'll anticipate your response: 180 for aerobatics, 240 for tamer/longer flying
allelectrik is offline Find More Posts by allelectrik
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:26 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,796 Posts
Hey RC,

KICS again? With the higher Kv motor, I bet it'll really move out with a Hyp 180 or 240 2s pack. And it has the airfoil I was hoping for, too. I'm thinking 180s for aerobatics & 240s for racing. Maybe this could start a new sport - UM pylon racing. I'd be game!

I managed to put in a bunch of stick-time on Beast #2 before the wx turned sour again. Was an absolute blast! I also made up a few more Hyp 180 & 240 2s packs.

I can hardly wait for the SBach! I already called my LHS to get on the list...

The way this UM thing is going, I'll end up building a mini airfield in my yard.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:30 PM
Yeeah buddy!
Northern Colorado
Joined May 2010
2,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_aviator View Post
Does anyone think they will be able to hover this???? I've hovered my beast before (only a couple seconds) ... Crashed trying to get out of it though... Well, they always say, "If you aren't crashing, you aren't flying low enough"
Quoting Scott Stoops when he was talking about the SU-26XP "It can torque roll but it winds up fast and you need very fast thumbs"
PinkYakRC is offline Find More Posts by PinkYakRC
Old Apr 16, 2011, 01:48 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
The 6i is great but not without faults.
The roller wheel breaks as do the trim tabs

Fairly common.
Yeah they do if your heavy handed mine is used ever day still working fine Raz
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Apr 16, 2011, 05:58 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_aviator View Post
They say it won't, but I agree with you. I got my Beast only recently, and I have not catch one single day without wind since. Yet, like you, I found it is very close to hover (still waiting for my first windless day to really give it a go). The Sbach should be a weeeeeebit better at it. But hey, if we can hover it for only 5 seconds, I'll be extremely happy. And as they say in the video, (and as the Beast can show it), pulling out of "hover" at warp speed is always fun! Heck, I would be happy with some sort of very slow ascending torque rolls....
Old Apr 16, 2011, 07:38 AM
Chicago Northwest subs
Joined Jan 2007
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akwardflyer View Post
well dsmx is backwards compatible so it really doesn't matter too much.
True, but at massive indoor venues like E-Fest , KIEF, or the JR Indoor, the added security of DSMX would be nice. Otherwise, it's a non-issue in my book.
MR2
minirips2 is offline Find More Posts by minirips2
Old Apr 16, 2011, 07:49 AM
USA, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Dec 2003
452 Posts
As long as those god awful ugly E-Flight stickers aren't on the production models, then I'll buy one.

Heh, ok... that wouldn't be the deciding factor. But those stickers do need to go.
Tony Twoskids is offline Find More Posts by Tony Twoskids
Old Apr 16, 2011, 07:51 AM
United States, CO, Delta
Joined Dec 2010
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsten View Post
If I get the beast there is no way my gf will LET me buy the Sbach lol
That means you have to buy more stuff for her. A long day at the mall with your cc and she may even buy it for you! (Don't as me how I know. Sometimes you get desperate!)

Micah
The_Tinker is offline Find More Posts by The_Tinker
Old Apr 16, 2011, 07:57 AM
United States, CO, Delta
Joined Dec 2010
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Twoskids View Post
As long as those god awful ugly E-Flight stickers aren't on the production models, then I'll buy one.

Heh, ok... that wouldn't be the deciding factor. But those stickers do need to go.
I agree. I just hope they ARE stickers and not paint. Stickers can be removed and replace, paint can be a pita.
The_Tinker is offline Find More Posts by The_Tinker
Old Apr 16, 2011, 08:01 AM
USA, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Dec 2003
452 Posts
You're correct. It could be worse
Tony Twoskids is offline Find More Posts by Tony Twoskids
Old Apr 16, 2011, 09:25 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
C'mon, at the speed it's flying, the only thing you'll be able to read on those sticker is: "E-F....." Dang, I have to stop watching that video....

Seriously, you saw how fast this thing can go? If somebody can read the sticker, you're simply not going fast enough!
Last edited by RealGambler; Apr 16, 2011 at 09:56 AM.