Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Camel filters?
better...

Canuck cigs and beer

There's a surprising difference for some reason.
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:50 PM
United States, NC, Avon
Joined Sep 2012
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
The experienced flyers, many who are actual pilots, will tell you it's actually the opposite
Sort of.....

We used to joke that when you pull back on the stick, things on the ground got smaller. Pull it back a bit farther, and they started getting bigger again....

Maintain thy airspeed, lest the earth rise up and smite thee, and thou shalt surely perish.
robschonk is offline Find More Posts by robschonk
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:43 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2013
449 Posts
how many flights does the stock motor last? im wondering if i should just do a brushless upgrade right away when i receive the plane. then i could sell the stock motor and save some cash. i would need a new esc with a brushless motor?
bradymartin is offline Find More Posts by bradymartin
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:48 PM
rookie
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Dec 2012
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradymartin View Post
so do i adjust elevator like i said in my previous post? or can i adjust it using less than half throttle?
I would go with 1/2 throttle. That's plenty slow. at 1/3 you would have a harder time controlling the plane. And it would climb to quicky with throttle and get you in trouble
Wilf
wilf370 is offline Find More Posts by wilf370
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:54 PM
Tally Ho Chaps!
United Kingdom, England, Ipswich
Joined Mar 2012
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilf370 View Post
I would go with 1/2 throttle. That's plenty slow. at 1/3 you would have a harder time controlling the plane. And it would climb to quicky with throttle and get you in trouble
Wilf
+1
If it is trimmed at too low a speed it will climb like crazy at higher revs and takes on a really awkward attitude in the air. Half throttle on the stock set up is fine.
Chompwat is offline Find More Posts by Chompwat
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:08 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
how many flights does the stock motor last? im wondering if i should just do a brushless upgrade right away when i receive the plane. then i could sell the stock motor and save some cash. i would need a new esc with a brushless motor?
Why not just FLY it right outta the box as is, enjoy the darn thing?
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:15 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2013
449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .quietguy View Post
Why not just FLY it right outta the box as is, enjoy the darn thing?
i plan to fly this plane only, for a long time.

currently watching this video on 6 mods that should be done

Six Standard Super Cub LP Modifications (before you fly!) (14 min 20 sec)
bradymartin is offline Find More Posts by bradymartin
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:56 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,958 Posts
Quote:
Stock motor is not worth very much. You can smoke them fast if you fly wide open for the entire flight. Yes a brushless is gonna need a new ESC. Could always learn with the stocker. If you crash and nose dive its possible to bend stuff.
wopachop is offline Find More Posts by wopachop
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:03 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,958 Posts
In terms of trimming you should set it to where you normally fly. If you fly aggressive with lots of throttle trim to that setting.
Im always clicking trim buttons during flights. Sometimes i want to haul ass. Then kill the motor and see how long i can float. Really quick to give a couple clicks.
Also the superCub will not do the porpoise action after a dive or climb so bad under throttle if you raise the tail edge of the main wing. Really highly recommend that mod even for beginners.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:17 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,700 Posts
Quote:
That's exactly what I'm doing right now. I'll never know how long the stock electronics (except receiver) will last because they'll never see even one flight. My motors, ESC, and UBEC should be here this coming week.

With all the time I've got into my pre-maiden mods I wasn't comfortable flying a 10x8 prop (floats) on that stock ESC which will put it right on the edge.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:58 PM
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,307 Posts
If your new to flying I'm not so sure its such a good idea to drop a more powerful setup on the cub i would recommend flying it stock get the feel for her then move up to a brush-less setup.
Also when you do go brush-less dont over power her as she if not a sport plane lol
Now as soon as your ready for mods to the cub the sky is the limit with just so many things you can do to this plane...Example i have gone brush-less i have done the bigger wheels and now i use this plane for night flying i covert her in 300 led lights to fly at night....Awesome plane enjoy it
smitty919 is offline Find More Posts by smitty919
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:07 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,700 Posts
In my case, going brushless right from the get go isn't for more power, I want slow and scale anyway. It's more to go to a system with a better ESC, more efficient use of power and hopefully quieter operation... I can barely hear my buddy's new Beaver in the air, which is nice.

Getting into the air quicker especially ROW will be a benefit I'm looking forward though.

EDIT
forgot to mention motor longevity.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by North_of_49; Jan 20, 2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:23 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,958 Posts
Agree with smitty the whole point about buying a trainer plane is get out there and have some fun!!! Learn to fly. Crash and fix. A trainer plane does not need to be perfect. Looking back at my learning curve i was a nut and wanted everything perfect. Turns out a foamy plane like the superCub will fly awesome whether its set up perfect or beat to hell. Really dont matter in the grand scheme. Its a total blast either way. Stock motor is super fun. Throw on the 10/8 and get more performance when youre ready. Once that starts to feel slow put on some ailerons and a brushless motor. Becomes a whole new flight experience. Soon that will become slow and you look towards different models. Its a cycle you will watch other people do over and over. Main thing is just fly fly fly. Smile smile smile.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:47 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,498 Posts
Flew it today with the machine gun module and was a bit disappointed. Could hardly hear it. After one battery which due to the weight didn't last long, I hollowed out the foam cone on the back of the bomb box module to make it a little louder. It did help, but due to the weight the plane was a dog. 130 grams doesn't sound that bad until you are forced to fly with it all the time. The parachute bomb drop is way more fun. Here is a clip of today with the machine gun unit. For this thing to work it needs to be lighter.
Super Cub with machine gun sound module (1 min 52 sec)
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:17 PM
sKrude up, Rejected!
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Jun 2008
3,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
In my case, going brushless right from the get go isn't for more power, I want slow and scale anyway. It's more to go to a system with a better ESC, more efficient use of power and hopefully quieter operation... I can barely hear my buddy's new Beaver in the air, which is nice.

Getting into the air quicker especially ROW will be a benefit I'm looking forward though.

EDIT
forgot to mention motor longevity.
If you you haven't done it already,

Disconnect the ACT for plane longevity!
DogFly. is offline Find More Posts by DogFly.