HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:04 AM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
I already started. I had pie for breakfast!
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:49 AM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,195 Posts
Wayne, all I can offer you is that I too have stood there, looking at remnants of a plane that I had invested time, money, and hope in.......I have felt the loss and know full well the measure of emotional turmoil you're experiencing. I may have been at fault (I doubt it ) or it could have been any number of factors....none of which presented itself during a complete autopsy, but no one was hurt.....no damage to other's property occurred ........and the onlookers got the satisfaction of a sweet crash. Any pain I suffered in the wallet was dispersed by all the other pains in the ass going on in my life and the effect was minimal. Perfectionists have a hard time letting go!
snowman is offline Find More Posts by snowman
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:01 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,008 Posts
Sorry about the crash Wayne. I was looking forward to hearing about the effects of your throw tweaks etc. I don't suppose you had a chance to really play with that.

Well happy thanksgiving everyone!
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:17 AM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,308 Posts
Great stuff snowman!

Glad you survived the baking Waldo!

Sorry about the stik Wayne!

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!
I know I have a lot to be thankful for, each and every one of you included!

Bon appetite!
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:44 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,496 Posts
Wayne, really sorry to hear about the equipment failure on the maiden; that is a real heartbreak. I still remember the first plane I ever flew which I flew at full speed into a tree and it came down as balsa rain...nothing left. (my fault, not equipment failure). Hope you are able to rebuild it and make another go of it...after a reasonable period of mourning, of course.

Kerwin you're making pies? cool! save some for the rest of us!

My sons and I got to play ping pong last night while the women baked pies all night...that's awesome...and now we have to exercise restraint and wait for tonight to eat them! My son is putting the turkey in the oven now, so its going to start smelling really good around here!

Definitely thankful for family, health, job, and home. Planes are a super extra bonus.
Psalm 107:1
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Last edited by SnowDog1974; Nov 22, 2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:05 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,533 Posts
Wayne I feel your pain only too well. More heart wrenching is watching her go in an there's nothing you can do about it. Only time can heal the pain.
Now on a bright side Snow Dog, Wayne, glad to hear the turkey is in the oven.

Here a cold front is trying to come through the temps are around 60ish. It's really windy.
So no thanksgiving flying.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:42 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,263 Posts
Naturally it is a PERFECT <Near 60 no wind> flying day and I am not going. This is the first time in over 12 years that we have not driven to Illinois for TDay. I been pushing that we have one of our own for a long time and It just does not feel right to leave and go flying.

I did run another tank through the 87, it really just starts and runs sooo friggin good for a $200 motor, have not touched a screw. It is formally completed now, other then running another Gal through and seeing what vibrates loose. <so it doesnt in flight>

Tomorrow high 53 and some winds kicking up with afternoon rain.... High of 37 Sat and Sun.<brrr>
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:51 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
Sorry about the crash Wayne. I was looking forward to hearing about the effects of your throw tweaks etc. I don't suppose you had a chance to really play with that.

Well happy thanksgiving everyone!
Pie is good,
Turkey is good,
Dressing is good,
Nap is good.

The Big Stik was another guy's plane. I helped him with the build.

For the time I had it, the rudder and elevator changes were nice. I would have liked to have the chance to wring that out. I don't know for sure what he is going to do about it. I think if we had a new fuse and wing set, we could rebuild it. There was very little damage to the tail. A Dremel MultiMax would separate all those pieces and all the hardware is reuseable. If I had Bob or Waldo's skills and the temperament, all those little sticks could be glued back together.

Well, the tank did not survive. Big hole in that.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:34 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,008 Posts
Well I ordered my new RED canopy this morning. Freaking $15 in shipping charges. I feel like that is a little over the top but obviously I was willing to pay it...

The slick is grounded till it comes. In the mean time I need to start figuring out some vinyl to make it look good.
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:32 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
Well I ordered my new RED canopy this morning. Freaking $15 in shipping charges. I feel like that is a little over the top but obviously I was willing to pay it...

The slick is grounded till it comes. In the mean time I need to start figuring out some vinyl to make it look good.
I got 2 canopies with my 70 slick, one needs work, the other fairly good. These were back when the electric and the gas had 2 different canopys, which also make the cowl different... It came with 2 of them also. I have to many projects <sigh>
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:39 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,308 Posts
My wife and I have been so busy that we had to go shopping at six this morning, then I spent a few hours in the kitchen. I even made an extra pan of dirty rice for my coworkers to enjoy tomorrow.

After all that I managed to get some work done in the garage. I had a loose h-stab on the Sabre, which I fixed. I also moved the engine forward one last time, it's as far as it will go now! She also got a new elevator servo because the other one was acting a little funny just past center, like a chipped tooth on a gear or something.
Then I installed the wheels on my T---T that Mike's friend so graciously sent me and I also managed to install the aileron servos and the custom side force generators a la NoMatta.

The Sabre is charged and ready to go!! Maybe this Sunday I will get a chance to fly her again. The CG will be as good as she is going to get anyway.

I won ten bucks on the Texans game because my buddy gave me four points!!

All in all, a great day!! I hope you all had a good one too!!

Well, the pumpkin pie is calling my name!!

David, do you guys celebrate Thanksgiving up there?
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:57 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Canada Thanksgiving the second Monday in October
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:41 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
The internet is great! From a few fragmented memories of an old song came...

Reunion: Life is a Rock (Joey Levine, 1974) - Complete Lyrics In Video (3 min 27 sec)
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:47 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,263 Posts
NOW THAT.... is music, nicely done Wayne!
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:48 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Scratch pumpkin pie is almost history.

I think it is just a little wrong that we run out of pie before we run out of turkey. I think next year, I want a 9 pound pie and a 2 pound turkey.