HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 25, 2011, 02:52 AM
jbc
WHO's your DADDY!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2009
5,488 Posts
I know this is a bit gross and if the Mods want me to remove it I will, but I think it serves to remind just how dangerous aspects of our hobby can potentially be. I'm usually always very careful when it comes time to spinning things up, e.g I always where safety glasses, this was just a split second loss in concentration, at the wrong time during a fan test. Was the very last thing I was doing late on a Sunday night and I guess being tired didn't help even managed to break all 5 blades off the minifan was pretty lucky in the end as there was enough off my finger still attached so they didn't have to cut the end off even managed to break the end of the bone as well don't ever say I do things in halves

Worst part was when the Doc removed half the nail and had the cut and stitch the quick underneath, then put the nail back on, don't really see the point seeing a I'm gonna lose it anyway Once the anesthetic wore off I discovered a level of pain I never knew existed ....instead of surgery, next time might just reach for the foam safe and kicker
jbc is offline Find More Posts by jbc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2011, 06:47 AM
MYC
Inconceivable!
USA, NY, Smithtown
Joined Jan 2005
1,942 Posts
Wow JBC! Sorry man. Ouch! Glad to see you are taking it in your usual good spirited way. I really hope it heals well and quickly my friend. I don't think the mods should take the pics down. We all need to be reminded from time to time that this can be a dangerous hobby.
MYC is offline Find More Posts by MYC
Old Jul 25, 2011, 07:54 AM
hotrod builder
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Jun 2007
1,156 Posts
Jbc
Ouch!!! Sorry to see that happen. Speedy recovery to ya. I have been quietly following your sabre progress as I biuld my.own. I am a good bit slower though. I will post some of my own pics soon
usmc_VTOL_mech is offline Find More Posts by usmc_VTOL_mech
Old Jul 25, 2011, 09:26 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jul 2005
178 Posts
I have my Super Sabre in T-Birds livery ready to go except I did a very poor job applying the Tri-Colour bands on the nose. Callie is sending me new ones and I'll do a better job. It will be a hand launch/belly flopper like my F-86. That has worked spendidly for over 100 flights now and with a grass field the retracts can be a problem. You guys that have flown yours, are you OK with the linkage on the elevator? I considered moving the servos to eliminate the stock linkage with the bends, but, it seems to work OK? I'm sorry for the injury shown here, but, in our hobby it always seems to be a prop, or in this case a fan, that causes the hurts. Hope you mend quickly and completely.
Bob Byrnes is offline Find More Posts by Bob Byrnes
Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:23 AM
France, Burgandy, Dijon
Joined Jun 2010
593 Posts
for jbc

Jbc
sorry for you - very good speedy recovery to you - Good job your F100

MADISONMaster
MADISONMaster is online now Find More Posts by MADISONMaster
Last edited by MADISONMaster; Jul 25, 2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 03:58 PM
dallas tx
Joined Jun 2003
2,879 Posts
JBC, thanks for sharing. Hope the mod's dont remove this, we all need reminding how dangerous our hobby can be. Lee
capt soap is offline Find More Posts by capt soap
Old Jul 25, 2011, 05:11 PM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,065 Posts
Wow. Amazing just how fast that happened huh? I've had my share of run ins with sharp items. Follow the doctors orders on this one. Hope it heals fast.
Mike
mike2663 is offline Find More Posts by mike2663
Old Jul 25, 2011, 07:31 PM
B-17 freak
NE Italy near Aviano AB
Joined Jan 2004
661 Posts
JBC, wish you a speedy recovery. About a month ago I had a similar encounter due to a spinning prop (faulty esc), cost me 15 stitches in my forearm. I was lucky, the blades missed the tendons & major blood vessels, lesson learnt!
Vic Arcudi is offline Find More Posts by Vic Arcudi
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:12 PM
hotrod builder
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Jun 2007
1,156 Posts
Ok here is mine
got it all spackled with the panel lines filled. I rounded out the leading edges better and sharpened all the trailing edges. Almost ready for glass. I used the cockpit kit and nosecone from parkflyerplastics also
I am running a wemofan and ARC motor for power , castle ICE 100 and xps 6800 mah 6 cell.
usmc_VTOL_mech is offline Find More Posts by usmc_VTOL_mech
Old Jul 26, 2011, 10:30 PM
Joined Sep 2006
3 Posts
Beautiful Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc135boomer View Post
I started "passing gas" for a paycheck in 1990. I am sure all the -100s were gone by then. I am actually an instructor, stationed here at Altus.

I never sold the jet, rather I contacted Callie Graphics and had a set of Thunderbird decals made for it. Stripped it all down, converted it to a single seater, and rebuilt it. Its still flying to this day (and flying well)...

Thanks for the beautiful pix. Your D Model is a vast improvement on the
F Model from Fly Fly. Don't know why they picked that that beast to offer.
I've got some new retracts coming that should solve my nose gear steering
problem, courtesty of Member Anthy who found them at HobbyWhere.com.
You're correct, the only Huns flying in the 90s were target ships flown by
civilian pilots, I believe. Did you open up the cheater hole as discussed in
previous posts? Any more suggestions as I finish my Hun would be greatly
appreciated.
Thudguy
thudguy is offline Find More Posts by thudguy
Old Jul 27, 2011, 06:52 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2010
2,876 Posts
Few questions.

1)The aluminum finish in the photo above. How was this done?

2)That finger looks like it's lucky.

3)what is the stock fan performance like?

4) what kv motor running a 6s gives decent performance
lipoflyer is offline Find More Posts by lipoflyer
Old Jul 27, 2011, 07:39 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jul 2005
178 Posts
Guys, I looked back through this thread and saw the various cures for the elevator linkages. I bought this plane mostly assembled and the servos were in the stock location and not "sunk in", this required a linkage with a bend to get around the trailing edge. I fixed them yesterday and now have straight secure linkages that I am much happier with. Once again the useful information sharing we do on these forums comes in quite handy. I am just waiting for some replacement graphics from Callie for the nose and my T-birds F-100 will be ready. I'll do a better job applying them this time...
Old Jul 27, 2011, 05:39 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipoflyer View Post
Few questions.

1)The aluminum finish in the photo above. How was this done?...
Same here, the finishes folk have put on this foamy are top notch

Quote:
...3)what is the stock fan performance like?...
The stock 7 blade rotor haoye makes 5pds at 29k rpms and a lil over 7 pds at 34k rpms. The nice thing about this rotor is you can use fairly low KV motors on 8s with low amps.

Quote:
...4) what kv motor running a 6s gives decent performance
Anything that gives you 7pds of get is pretty good, will make this thing ...HK 1660 3674 motor on 6s with stock 7 blade gets around 7pds at 100amps on 6s. and 5pds on 5s....some nice get up and go.
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Aug 02, 2011, 07:19 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jul 2005
178 Posts
Received my replacement nose graphics from Callie. These were much improved. She added more Red color at the front and this made it easier to locate the graphics and have then "reach back" as far as they should. I did a much better job applying them and they are straight and free of wrinkles. My T-Birds Super Sabre is ready to fly...