HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2014, 01:13 PM
Joined Apr 2014
7 Posts
Build Log
Long Flight Times - Aerial Photography (Zero to Hero)

Hi All

Hoping to go from zero to hero by the end of this thread. Target 1 month.
With some help from all of you, ill put together and consolidate various resources for similar folk who want what I want.

So first, some help please, can you suggest the best multicopter build that ticks the following boxes?
  • Under $1000
  • 20 min + Flight Times
  • 500m + range
  • Best suited to Aerial Photography (Smooth, stable flight)
  • Will use ActionCam (GoPro) for AP

First part of research is around Frames. Please can you suggest the best frames for above?
arnonel is online now Find More Posts by arnonel
Last edited by arnonel; Apr 19, 2014 at 06:22 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2014, 01:13 PM
Joined Apr 2014
7 Posts
Frames

Frames ive found so far:

Tarot Ironman 650

Tarot Ironman 650 Long Flight time Build
Tarot Ironman 650 - 32 Minutes FPV Quad and X8 mod

CineTank Mk. I
Product Page
FPVLab Thread
RCGroups Thread
Last edited by arnonel; Apr 19, 2014 at 06:21 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 01:14 PM
Joined Apr 2014
7 Posts
Theory

Large Props / Low KV
Multirotor motor/prop selection - practical testing and review (7 min 44 sec)
Last edited by arnonel; Yesterday at 08:30 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 01:14 PM
Joined Apr 2014
7 Posts
(Reserved Part 3)

(Reserved Part 3)
Old Apr 18, 2014, 05:19 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Apr 2012
63 Posts
I can tell you that there's already a wealth of information on here that can guide you to find your answers...

I say that because, to be honest, most people don't appreciate someone in their first post asking for specific details on stuff that they could do some research on to find out. Nevermind people like to see some tenure of having spent time studying up.

I only say this to help you out. Stick around a bit and build up some posts and people will be more inclined to help you.

However, with that said, I'll kick it off and be a nice guy. Plus I'm at work, bored, and love helping people:

(FYI I'm not expert to multirotors but have done quite a bit of homework recently)

Under $1000-- Pretty sure you'll have to build this yourself to keep your budget. How experienced in general R/C are you? DIY isn't for the faint of heart.

25min + Flight Times (or more)-- DJI or any multirotor that size can get 20-25min if set up right... Past that and you'll need a bigger multirotor (500 size & up) from what I've seen (which ='s more expensive)

500m + range-- Not a problem, that's not that far...

Best suited to Aerial Photography (Smooth, stable flight)-- Again DJI size and up with be able to do smooth, stable flight. After a certain size...wind doesn't effect the multirotor as much and it's the camera gimbal that will give you that smooth stable flight.

Good Luck
flyingpete is offline Find More Posts by flyingpete
Old Apr 18, 2014, 06:58 PM
CSU Chico, Flight Club
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Sep 2012
728 Posts
Mass, mass, mass and by that I mean AUW, 20 minutes flight time for a striped down quad, is doable. But with a full size HD cam+gimbal, that's different.

Not saying it's impossible, or raining on you, just saying.
Test Pilot Mafia is offline Find More Posts by Test Pilot Mafia
Old Apr 19, 2014, 06:13 AM
Joined Apr 2014
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpete View Post
I can tell you that there's already a wealth of information on here that can guide you to find your answers...

I say that because, to be honest, most people don't appreciate someone in their first post asking for specific details on stuff that they could do some research on to find out. Nevermind people like to see some tenure of having spent time studying up.

I only say this to help you out. Stick around a bit and build up some posts and people will be more inclined to help you.

However, with that said, I'll kick it off and be a nice guy. Plus I'm at work, bored, and love helping people:

(FYI I'm not expert to multirotors but have done quite a bit of homework recently)

Under $1000-- Pretty sure you'll have to build this yourself to keep your budget. How experienced in general R/C are you? DIY isn't for the faint of heart.

25min + Flight Times (or more)-- DJI or any multirotor that size can get 20-25min if set up right... Past that and you'll need a bigger multirotor (500 size & up) from what I've seen (which ='s more expensive)

500m + range-- Not a problem, that's not that far...

Best suited to Aerial Photography (Smooth, stable flight)-- Again DJI size and up with be able to do smooth, stable flight. After a certain size...wind doesn't effect the multirotor as much and it's the camera gimbal that will give you that smooth stable flight.

Good Luck
Hi there

I have been reading the forums for a while, but only recently decided to contribute.
Yes, I see this as a contribution. Im going to go through this journey, share my experience, for the benefit of others like me.

To start this journey however, I do need some help form others, so thanks for your initial comments. As I do more research (in this forum and others, ill share everything in a neat page to make research better/easier for others).
Old Apr 19, 2014, 06:15 AM
Joined Apr 2014
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test Pilot Mafia View Post
Mass, mass, mass and by that I mean AUW, 20 minutes flight time for a striped down quad, is doable. But with a full size HD cam+gimbal, that's different.

Not saying it's impossible, or raining on you, just saying.
Have updated OP to state camera will be actioncam (eg: Hero/Mobius). Also reduced flight time to 20mins.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 07:48 PM
Joined Apr 2012
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnonel View Post
Have updated OP to state camera will be actioncam (eg: Hero/Mobius). Also reduced flight time to 20mins.
Nice to include that info. The GoPro vs Mobius is around a 80 gram difference if I recall correctly. I too plan on using a Mobius. My build will take a while as I'm a married college student--but yeah--nice to see some more detail from ya.

I take it you're not worried about soldering and DIY either. That's a big plus too.

Oh, and before I forget: There are IMO two good ways to get a gimbal for the Mobius....

1. Make one from simple L brackets
DIY Camera Gimbal for Mobius ActionCAM (3 min 14 sec)

2. Buy this guys
http://www.fpvmonkey.com/mobius-gimbal/

Depends how much time you want to spend tinkering. Both are cheap (the DIY L bracket will obviously be cheaper)

And hey, glad you took no offense to my insight about your first post. It doesn't bother me when people ask questions--but I've seen first hand how people either get no or few responses or get attacked. Was just giving you a heads up
Old Apr 19, 2014, 07:59 PM
Joined Apr 2012
63 Posts
Oh and when Test Pilot Mafia said "AUW" That means "All Up Weight". It the aircraft (multirotor in this case) complete weight ready to fly...including the battery you'll be using. To get 25min + you would really have to pay attention to AUW. But, I see you're OK with 20min now. And to be honest--that's a lot of time!

Furthermore-just saw your frame picks. Both look great. What I'd focus on in choosing a frame between those two or any for that matter is:

Durability
Parts availability
Weight (since you want long flight times)

Then I'd like to say a 650 size multirotor seems to be a bit overkill for a mobius camera--but it's your call. The upside is you'll already have the aircraft to fly bigger video equipment down the road.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 09:08 PM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Aug 2011
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnonel View Post
Hi All

Hoping to go from zero to hero by the end of this thread. Target 1 month.
With some help from all of you, ill put together and consolidate various resources for similar folk who want what I want.

So first, some help please, can you suggest the best multicopter build that ticks the following boxes?
  • Under $1000
  • 20 min + Flight Times
  • 500m + range
  • Best suited to Aerial Photography (Smooth, stable flight)
  • Will use ActionCam (GoPro) for AP

First part of research is around Frames. Please can you suggest the best frames for above?
Get familiar with eCalc. I recommend paying for the full version since it has all the motors you'll want specs on. Figuring out the right combination of motors, props and batteries will be key to reaching your goal.
seojeff is offline Find More Posts by seojeff