Old Apr 12, 2014, 11:20 AM
the journey is the reward
Canada
Joined Apr 2002
1,512 Posts
Discussion
Sonic Modell Sky Surfer 2M Glider with FPV Platform

Just taking it out of the box.

Searched here an did not find a thread etc...

Any interest in assembly pics etc?

And is this the right place for this thread?

https://www.greathobbies.com/product...rod_id=SNM2400
  • Clear nose cone for camera protection
  • 2 meter wing span
  • 6 x 17 gram servos installed
  • Durable EPP foam construction
  • 8x7 pusher prop
  • Spacious cargo bay for FPV gear
  • 5 channel control - aileron, elevator, throttle and flaps
  • Single center mounted belly wheel for easy landings.

"The Sonic Model Sky Surfer FPV glider offers great flight performance and high quality construction. Servos come preinstalled and wire leads routed. Simply glue on the tail surfaces, attach the control surface horns and add your receiver. Flight ready in under 2hrs. This model will fly well with any 11.1V LiPo from 2200mAh to 3300mAh and balances well with the larger battery and GoPro Hero 3 up front. Flight time will be determined by battery capacity but cruising at a moderate power setting easily yeilds 20+ minute flight times on a 3300mAh pack."

I had been looking at the BlitzRCWorks Super Sky Surfer (Banana Hobbies) and Airfield Giant Convertible EDF Power RC Glider (Nitro Planes) with a preference for the latter.

Unable to get the Canada Airfield Giant Convertible shipped to Canada due to the length of the box required (something I have not run into in the past) and it was going to be a good chunk of change for shipping on the Banana Sky Surfer.

Probably more similarities between these three models than being dissimilar, but notably the sonic sky surfer has a slightly shorter wingspan etc.
Hammer Head is offline Find More Posts by Hammer Head
Last edited by Hammer Head; Apr 12, 2014 at 11:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2014, 02:34 PM
Canada
Joined Apr 2002
1,512 Posts
Not too much interest in this glider it appears.

Having now completed assembly; one of the nicest foam glider kit I have ever assembled bar none. I have assembled quite a few over the years: Easy Star, EGlider, Clouds Fly, Bixler, V-Roc....

Happy Flying!
Old Apr 19, 2014, 04:46 PM
Joined Aug 2010
320 Posts
Are you going to equip it for FPV, or at least with a recording camera? If so, which one are you considering?
soundguy63 is offline Find More Posts by soundguy63
Old Apr 19, 2014, 05:34 PM
Canada
Joined Apr 2002
1,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundguy63 View Post
Are you going to equip it for FPV, or at least with a recording camera? If so, which one are you considering?
Hey SoundGuy

Yes, this will be my first video/FPV platform.

Going to start with relatively cheap little camera to shoot aerial video.

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-2-...0-p-48136.html

I picked up several extra nose cones to have a solid color when I'm not shooting vid. Looks pretty cool with the white nosecone black trim, well as cool as it can look being sort of odd looking fuselage/nose to begin with.

I am joining a club, hope to get out there the first time on Monday, and several the guys in the club are getting into FPV, so I am sure it will be an eventuality.

Not too keen on wearing goggles but some of the all-in-one screens that are coming out pretty cool.