HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 12, 2014, 02:56 PM
Appleton, Wisconsin
Joined Aug 2002
59 Posts
Discussion
One Day RC build at AirVenture?

Bret Steffen who is the director of education at EAA contacted me about a project that EAA is thinking of doing at this years AirVenture. The EAA is doing a full scale build project called the “One Week Wonder,” where we will build a Zenith aircraft in a week using participants at the event to help show how accessible building an airplane can be. http://www.airventure.org/attractions/wonder.html

They are thinking of doing a “one day wonder” project of a similar concept for teenage participants who visit the College Park area where a group of modelers would to build a scale aircraft with help from the teenagers. They will be having a showcase of RC aircraft at one of the airshows and want the finished model to fly as part of this showcase. So on one hand the kit should also be as large as possible but on the other still build-able in a day by a group of modelers with helpers.

They are still in the exploratory/planning stages and are looking for feedback from the local AMA clubs. (VAM, Oshkosh, Fond Du Lac)

They want to find out:
1. Do we have club members who would be interested in volunteering to help with the build?
2. Recommendations on kit selection
3. What recommendations do we have to make this project work?

The EAA is going to try to find a manufacture to donate a kit but I also wanted to ask if any one in the club had a kit that would work they would be willing to donate.

Heath
Salin is online now Find More Posts by Salin
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2014, 04:46 PM
T.R. miller
USA, WI, Appleton
Joined Nov 2008
553 Posts
one day build? go coroplast
tr miller is offline Find More Posts by tr miller
Old Mar 21, 2014, 05:31 PM
Cox Engine Hoarder
Neenah, Wisconsin, United States
Joined Jun 2004
571 Posts
How big of a kit? Glow or electric?

Any of the Mountain Models kits can be built in a day. I have built a couple and they are easy compared to a Balsa USA kit. The Tyro 150 is a large kit.
Jason_WI is offline Find More Posts by Jason_WI
Old Mar 21, 2014, 05:50 PM
Appleton, Wisconsin
Joined Aug 2002
59 Posts
My first thought was a 48 inch L4 or Cub Mountain Models kit.
http://www.mountainmodels.com/produc...roducts_id=591

They are open to glow/gas or electric. It would depend a lot on who and how many people wanted to help build and what kit(s) EAA can get. They are also open to building two smaller planes as well.
I am not sure what the right balance is between size, looks, and build speed.

The show case bit is perplexing to me, as almost any RC model is going to look small at a venue like EAA. Sounds like the national AMA may be providing the other models and pilots for that so they may have some giant scale models they are planing to show off.
Salin is online now Find More Posts by Salin