HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2014, 12:28 AM
Los Angeles, California
Joined Jul 2010
179 Posts
Build Log
Van Home-Built Shelf for Model Aircraft Transport

Like many RC airplane enthusiasts, I have ended up with more aircraft I would like to fly than space to easily transport them. Sure, I could take the wings off but with the extra wires that's usually a hassle.

Therefore I built a shelf for the back area of my Toyota Sienna minivan to provide more transport space.

Construction was simple. I used 1" PVC pipe, 3/16" thin wood laminate, some wood screws, zip ties and carpet rest all purchased at Home Depot:

Wood platform 51 " x 48" 3/16" thick laminate

1" PVC pipe and connectors:

4 x 10 foot 1" PVC lengths
8 T-connectors
4 corner connectors
1 X-connector
4 end caps

30 zip ties 11"
48" x 54" carpet rest
5 wood screws

Notes on connectors:
Each connector overlaps pipe by 2.4cm (15/16")
- T connectors are 3 ⅝" wide
- therefore Ts add 2" to length

Corners 2 ⅝" wide
- therefore corners add 1 " to length

Have Home Depot cut a 48" wide laminate to length at 51 "

Cut PVC pipe sections with a hacksaw as follows:

Sides (2)
2 x 9 "
2 x 13 ⅛"

Cross pieces (3)
2 x 22"

Long center pieces (1)
2 x 23"

Legs (4)
21" (back left leg cut down by 1 " due to floor panel)

Pipes go together without glue. Once the frame was together, I used 5 wood screws to affix the wood to the center T-connectors and the center cross connector after holes were predrilled easily.

Then I used the zip ties through larger pre-drilled holes to strap down the carpet remnant.

The PVC pipe caps were affixed to the legs which are removable for easy storage. I also added a few zip-ties and use a strap borrowed from another bag to carry the platform down to the parking structure in my building.
drjay is offline Find More Posts by drjay
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2014, 01:20 PM
3D Addict
United States, AL, Birmingham
Joined May 2013
129 Posts
Nice I can use this Thanks
Allinone is offline Find More Posts by Allinone
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flying At My Local Field