HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 21, 2013, 05:57 PM
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Apr 2002
514 Posts
Help!
LJM Meteor question

All,
I'm building out a Jolly Meteor but the plans have some markings on them that are confusing me. See the picture. which rudder should I build?
shoe is offline Find More Posts by shoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2013, 09:10 PM
Brazil, MG, Belo Horizonte
Joined Oct 2006
465 Posts
Hello buddy,

I'd go for the big one...

André
Jebera is offline Find More Posts by Jebera
Old Dec 21, 2013, 10:42 PM
United States, NY, Lewiston
Joined Apr 2011
313 Posts
Strange indeed! I have a Meteor which I built from a kit and the plans certainly look nothing like yours. It looks like somebody drew a Bird of Time rudder over your plan, scribbled on it, then xeroxed it. The rudder on mine looks like the larger straight-edged rudder on your plan. The 3/8 stock on top of the fiberglass fin does not have the horizontal cut line in it that is on your plan; in other words, the leading edge of the rudder is straight from top to bottom as is the trailing edge of the fin, the rudder is not the "counter-balanced" design. The fin and rudder are as tall as the tallest outline on your plan.
theghosttanker is offline Find More Posts by theghosttanker
Old Dec 21, 2013, 11:08 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,590 Posts
It almost look's like to me that someone wanted to have a not so tall rudder and decided to add some area to the T/E. BTW I'll be at Tauqe Verdi Elementary School tomorrow. There will be at least 2 winch's. TTYL Dave
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2013, 11:12 PM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,583 Posts
I am sure Larry will chime in soon, but it is the larger outline, it is very easy to see that some one has been drawing on top of this set of plans, the BOT outline is to be ignored, as well as the smaller rudder lines, and yes there is a counter balance on the rudder, that is what the 3/8 material marked on the original drawing is. Scary to think that in another 40 years or so, Larry and I won't be around anymore to straighten things out when monkey business happens to his original plans.
s2000 is offline Find More Posts by s2000
Old Dec 22, 2013, 04:35 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,705 Posts
My suggestion is go with the original drawing. It will fly fine and will be worth more if you ever want to sell it.. Good Luck Larry
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Old Dec 22, 2013, 10:46 PM
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Apr 2002
514 Posts
Thanks for the input everyone, sound like the larger rudder is the way to go. Glad to have the final word from the designer

Can't wait to get this bird in the air!
-andy
Old Dec 22, 2013, 11:31 PM
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Feb 2007
245 Posts
Hi Andy,

Just curious why you'd want to deviate from the designers suggestion (especially since somehow he found your thread and replied on his own volition) and go with a random group's thoughts?

Larry drew it for a reason, and typically it's after trial and error. Though having flown against Larry, I'd almost say he drew it right the first time out.

Just my two cents.

Good luck with what ever you choose.

Cheers,

Steve
shipwreck5 is offline Find More Posts by shipwreck5
Old Dec 23, 2013, 12:22 AM
Joined Apr 2005
343 Posts
The plans do look like the larger, taller, counterbalanced rudder is the original design.

Whoever drew in the BOT type rudder did an excellent job. On initial glance it certainly did look authentic..
HIR/Cer is offline Find More Posts by HIR/Cer
Old Dec 23, 2013, 02:45 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,045 Posts
I wish I could get a set of plans.
A fuselage would be a nice find also.

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Dec 23, 2013, 07:39 AM
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Apr 2002
514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck5 View Post
Hi Andy,

Just curious why you'd want to deviate from the designers suggestion (especially since somehow he found your thread and replied on his own volition) and go with a random group's thoughts?

Larry drew it for a reason, and typically it's after trial and error. Though having flown against Larry, I'd almost say he drew it right the first time out.

Just my two cents.

Good luck with what ever you choose.

Cheers,

Steve
Looks like you just misunderstood, I am going with the original , which is the larger rudder. I think that's what everyone else was suggesting as well. That was what my gut was telling me all along but I wanted to make sure there wasn't some well know mod to a Meteor that I was missing out on

Thanks everyone!

-andy
Old Dec 23, 2013, 07:39 AM
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Apr 2002
514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermaler View Post
I wish I could get a set of plans.
A fuselage would be a nice find also.

Joe
I found this one right here on rcgroups a few years ago, just getting around to building it now. Keep looking!
Old Dec 23, 2013, 08:43 AM
Joined Oct 2003
1,705 Posts
Joe,
Send me a message with a phone number. Merry Christmas everyone.
LJ
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly