HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2013, 02:23 AM
Joined Nov 2004
1,145 Posts
Discussion
Electric/DS build thread

I have recently restarted an old electric glider project with some major modifications to fuse and wing layout.

One major change was to cut the original straight leading of the foam core to make an elliptical leading edge. This however has left a thick leading edge and me the task of re shaping the wing. I know I could go out and get new cores cut but I am not looking for competition standards or perfection and in the past know that many wings were shaped by hand.

My plan is to cut different template to gauge the correct foil across the wing but thought I would ask how others have tackled this problem and the challenges they faced.
AUSELECTRIC is online now Find More Posts by AUSELECTRIC
Last edited by AUSELECTRIC; Dec 16, 2013 at 04:45 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:58 AM
Registered DLG addict
Minnesota
Joined Jan 2009
1,078 Posts
How much of the wing was cut off? If it's only the tips you can just use a sanding block and roughly reshape the LE to the shape of the airfoil.
NighthawkF-117 is offline Find More Posts by NighthawkF-117
Old Dec 10, 2013, 02:19 PM
Joined Nov 2004
1,145 Posts
The cut affects about a third of the wing
Old Dec 10, 2013, 03:18 PM
Entropy Happens!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,076 Posts
My guess Ause is that you are venturing into new territory here!
Perhaps a series of external templates cut from sections at several stations printed out from Profili2 might help.
If it were mine, I would reduce the wing to a series of multi (two or more) panel straight sections. But you might be running out of material?
Then, assuming you know the airfoil, you could use an end template to assist with the shaping.
Personally, I would not touch an ellipticall planform wing with anything less than CNC shaping methods. The loss of airfoil faithfullness via hand shaping will more than offset any efficiency gained by the improved planform, perceived or actual.
Jim.Thompson is online now Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Another foam plank build...
Old Dec 10, 2013, 05:29 PM
Joined Nov 2004
1,145 Posts
Thanks Jim, I have plenty of foam and could recut the wing if required. The elliptical leading edge has purely been chosen for the look and not the real or perceived benefits. I know the original wing was a RG15 I had cut for me about 10years ago.

Will continue with some external templates and see how it turns out. Never know may end up with some WR breaking section, lol
Old Dec 12, 2013, 01:43 AM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
2,992 Posts
Hi Mick, I wouldn't try it as you will lose the airfoil. If you have some foam, cut a two or three panel wing with short tip sections. Then you can sand the transitions round and blend them into the rest of the wing but not lose the foil. This is pretty easy and you can use the other panels for something else. You could also use your current panels for this wing but cut them short and just make some new tip panels for it.
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Old Dec 12, 2013, 02:46 AM
Joined Nov 2004
1,145 Posts
Thanks josh, plenty of foam and thinking that fresh cuts may be the way to go with not many responses to this thread. Have been working on the fuse plug ATM
Old Dec 12, 2013, 04:16 AM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
2,992 Posts
No worries Mick.
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Old Dec 12, 2013, 05:40 AM
Joined Nov 2004
1,145 Posts
The fuse is starting to take shape
Old Dec 12, 2013, 07:10 AM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,571 Posts
I have hand shaped in the past. Hard to tell exactly what you end up with but you can get a reasonably good looking and flying airplane from it. Give it a go, especially if doing a repair.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Dec 13, 2013, 07:03 AM
UK, Coventry
Joined Aug 2005
519 Posts
You could read the instruction for this
http://www.pcm.at/english/Nano/index.html
The last page of the pdf has an interesting method that could be adapted for a foam wing.

Or try the instruction for mark drela's apogee hlg.
http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl...oilshaping.pdf

Hope it helps
mhodgson is offline Find More Posts by mhodgson
Old Dec 13, 2013, 03:52 PM
Joined Nov 2004
1,145 Posts
Thanks for the tip, drella's method looks easy enough to try. I will try and post a pic of the wing core and fuse plug today.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 02:59 AM
Joined Nov 2004
1,145 Posts
Here are the pics
Old Dec 16, 2013, 05:08 AM
Joined Nov 2004
1,145 Posts
About time I start thinking of a name, was thinking about blister what are your comments, thoughts or knowledge of other commercial planes with this name.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 05:05 AM
Joined Nov 2004
1,145 Posts
Well after careful consideration of the shape I decided I did not like the boom position and proceeded to cut my plug to reposition the boom.

I think although additional shaping is still required it now has much better lines
Last edited by AUSELECTRIC; Jan 23, 2014 at 06:11 AM.