HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2013, 02:12 PM
Stockholm
Joined Jan 2010
68 Posts
Discussion
Anyone tried a cordless drill as powersource?

Hi all, there is a lot of cordless drills running att 12V available at good price.
Have anyone tryed to use one as powersource in a hobbyproject?
Im thinking of putting one as motor in a scratchbulit submarine.
They come with adjustable reduction gearbox so they would probably work nice?
Maybe as an scheep winch for a sailboat?
I have searched the net but does not find anything really.
Do you have any input or ideas?

// Mats W
Mats W is offline Find More Posts by Mats W
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2013, 02:46 PM
big ole Corvette.
United States, MO, Union
Joined Sep 2011
181 Posts
motors

I've used Power Wheels motors with great success, and free off of Craigslist ads.
Building One is offline Find More Posts by Building One
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: no new entries
Old Nov 03, 2013, 03:27 PM
Stockholm
Joined Jan 2010
68 Posts
Unsure of what you mean??
Craigslist??
Any pics?

// Mats W
Old Nov 03, 2013, 03:28 PM
Nickel Belter
Northern Ontario
Joined Jun 2009
864 Posts
Too big and too slow-turning for most applications.

People have used the MOTORS out of cordless drills with as much success as any other motor.
ZZ56 is offline Find More Posts by ZZ56
Old Nov 03, 2013, 03:32 PM
Stockholm
Joined Jan 2010
68 Posts
But for a slow boat as an submarine or an boat for a litle kid it schould be perfect i Think.
They could probably turn a pretty big propp?
// Mats W
Old Nov 03, 2013, 03:37 PM
Just north of Tampa, Fl.
Joined Jan 2009
224 Posts
I tried a drill motor on an amp meter and it drew very hi in the amps, not worth it to me to use in a model.

Duane
Navy2000 is offline Find More Posts by Navy2000
Old Nov 03, 2013, 03:38 PM
BOATBring Out Another Thousand
United States, ME, South Bristol
Joined Sep 2013
536 Posts
Ive used the motor and trigger from a drill in a couple projects the work well. In the pic is an 18 volt makita with replacable brushes as you can see I had to butcher the case to use that one. Another model got its powerplant from a 18 volt black n decker drill that had a large johnson motor in it.
bbenner is online now Find More Posts by bbenner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Another Lobster Boat Hull
Old Nov 03, 2013, 04:29 PM
United States, PA, Clearfield
Joined Jan 2007
324 Posts
At one time I thought about using a battery powered rotary tool like a Dremel,but one of the cheaper versions and hooking it to more powerful batteries. You can go from 0 to 35,000 rpm by using the speed dial on the case.
sleepwalker is offline Find More Posts by sleepwalker
Old Nov 03, 2013, 05:54 PM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
896 Posts
Me and my buddy have gutted a few drills for their motors and batteries, they work great, usually about 550 size motor but capable of 12V. good torque too, we ran them direct drive on 1.5" props and got great speed on the USS Crocket kit by Dumas.

Cheers
G-O
Guard-Officer is offline Find More Posts by Guard-Officer
Old Nov 04, 2013, 03:32 AM
Tygum Lagoon Terror
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,458 Posts
With the gear box the drill motors at capable of turning a 8 inch prop (from one of those little car/truck cabin fans) great for that Fra Belinga or other giant scale model

Nick
nick_75au is online now Find More Posts by nick_75au
Old Nov 04, 2013, 05:40 PM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
3,670 Posts
Hmmmmm.
Interesting Nick, Thanks for the idea.
Jerome Morris is offline Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Old Nov 04, 2013, 07:19 PM
Detroit
Joined Aug 2006
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats W View Post
But for a slow boat as an submarine or an boat for a litle kid it schould be perfect i Think.
They could probably turn a pretty big propp?
// Mats W
it wouldn't hurt to try, the motors are cheap and if you're doing a tug or scale warship they should be plenty. keep in mind that cordless drills usually have a planetary reduction gearset between the motor and the chuck which multiplies the torque substantially.
jz78817 is offline Find More Posts by jz78817
Old Nov 04, 2013, 10:12 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Nov 2006
1,174 Posts
18volt Dewalt motors were used as an upgrade in large RC trucks like the Traxxas E-Maxx. You can still get an E-Maxx with a brushed motor but they're not big sellers anymore.

That's because the brushless E-Maxx replaced it.

Using a power tool motor to push a boat is possible, but it depends on which drill we are talking about.

Do you want to use a power drill motor for the fun of it, or do you think it's cheaper alternative?

I've played around with appliance motors and it came to the point where I realized that they're all different and you can't really know if it will suit the application you're looking for. The motors usually have no model numbers or specific ratings. Some people with a little knowledge know how to buy an $8.00 motor and set it up. They know what to buy and have all the specs. I'm sure a $35.00 dollar brushed hobby motor is the same as a $8.00 cheapo sold on eBay, but I wouldn't know what to look for.

The gearbox in a drill is usually held in place by the tool housing itself. When you take apart the drill, don't surprised if the gearbox falls out in several pieces.

You're still going to need a speed controller, receiver, batteries, and a transmitter.

The price of a motor and a gearbox are the last of your worries. You need to build an RC submarine first.

I's kinda like finding a great deal on a car motor and now you want to build a car to put it in. (LOL!! that's not unusual when you live in Michigan)

I'm not making fun of you, I've been through all this. I was using RC truck motors and speed controllers. I even used motors and speed controls that were replacement parts for existing Ready-To-Run boats. I was using motors and speed controllers from Traxxas boats. Heck, I didn't know any better.

I've seen guys spend well over $300.00 on building a boat and choke when it comes time to putting a real motor in it. They spend up to a 100 hours or more building a fantastic boat and then buy a crap motor that mocks their own creation.

Here's a $32.00 motor in one of my jet boats. I think it was worth paying the money.

KMB 28MM Jet Drive RC Boat Thrust Test (0 min 54 sec)
Tollytime is offline Find More Posts by Tollytime
Old Nov 05, 2013, 09:10 AM
Joined Jan 2013
32 Posts
If you're looking for motors try goldmine electronics, or all electrics...
Old Wood Boats is offline Find More Posts by Old Wood Boats
Old Nov 05, 2013, 01:08 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Nov 2006
1,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Wood Boats View Post
If you're looking for motors try goldmine electronics, or all electrics...

Cool!!

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/
Tollytime is offline Find More Posts by Tollytime