HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:12 PM
United States, GA, Dublin
Joined Sep 2012
5 Posts
Discussion
Anything other than LiPo?

All the posts, videos, and information all over the internet about LiPo explosions and fires really make me nervous.

What other alternatives are viable for use in electric park jet type foam planes?
lancer525 is offline Find More Posts by lancer525
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:50 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
3,891 Posts
Not with the same power to weight ratio. Life/A123 are about the only other option unless you want to go back to nimh/nicd. As long as you take reasonable care of your lipos the chance of an incident is very very low. And lipos don't "explode". They catch fire yes, but they don't explode. If you read the rules for basic lipo care you will find that 99.9% of the incidents out there someone didn't follow one of the basic easy to follow rules of care.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:13 AM
United States, GA, Dublin
Joined Sep 2012
5 Posts
LiPos are out of the question. The potential for incendiary results is too high a risk for me to take.

There must be other alternatives that are suitable, even if there is a minor weight penalty.
lancer525 is offline Find More Posts by lancer525
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:37 AM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,452 Posts
As grimbeaver stated, LiFe is another option. Of the LiFe chemistry cells, the cylindrical LiFePO4 cells from A123 Systems have the most proven track record. Until about 3-4 years ago, they had better power density than lipolys and many of us flew them exclusively. They are nearly bulletproof and seemingly thrive on abuse for 100's and 100's of cycles with negligible loss in performance. They're also as safe as any battery technology can possibly be.

Do a B&C forum search on 'A123' and you will be reading for days.

Mark
mrforsyth is offline Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:34 AM
James not bond
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined May 2012
2,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
As grimbeaver stated, LiFe is another option. Of the LiFe chemistry cells, the cylindrical LiFePO4 cells from A123 Systems have the most proven track record. Until about 3-4 years ago, they had better power density than lipolys and many of us flew them exclusively. They are nearly bulletproof and seemingly thrive on abuse for 100's and 100's of cycles with negligible loss in performance. They're also as safe as any battery technology can possibly be.

Do a B&C forum search on 'A123' and you will be reading for days.

Mark
interested to know A123 seller/store...
jy0933 is offline Find More Posts by jy0933
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:01 AM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer525 View Post
LiPos are out of the question. The potential for incendiary results is too high a risk for me to take.

There must be other alternatives that are suitable, even if there is a minor weight penalty.
If you just finished a crash course on lipo batteries via Google, I'm not surprised you would shy away from them. Lots of hyperbole.
There are cases of lipo fires in cell phones and laptop computers too.

Most of us who use Lipo Batteries follow the natural laws of LIPO.
Most of the charger manufacturers incorporate safety checks in their products.
There are a lot less incidents now, then there were a couple years ago.

(LIFEP04) type batteries are expensive. A123 is a company that is big in the industry.
Much of the world production is going for electric cars.

NiCad (nickel cadmium) is toxic to the environment.
NiMh (nickel metal hydride) is less toxic.
Glow motors are an option, the receiver can be powered by 4 alkaline AA cells. They're called "slimers" for the goo they are covered with after a flight.

BTW; Welcome to RCG
Lots of information, lots of helpful folks.
Regards
Rick
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Last edited by rick.benjamin; Sep 19, 2012 at 03:07 AM.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 06:21 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,177 Posts
Quote:
Then I presume you don't travel in airplanes or drive a car.

Seriously though. You are placing too much emphasis on the reports of mishaps. It is a case of a few problems overwhelming the tens of thousands (probably millions) of successful uses of LiPo's. In ten years of LiPo usage I have only witnessed three instances of LiPo fire and they were all the result of crashes.

If LiPo's are properly cared for they are not dangerous. Charge them with a quality charger to prevent over charging, do not over discharge when flying, keep them at storage charge when not in use, and protect them from physical damage and you will never experience a problem.

If you still have concerns store them in a steel box and charge them in a LiPo Sack.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:55 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
3,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
If you still have concerns store them in a steel box and charge them in a LiPo Sack.
As he said. Just make sure it's not an air tight steel box otherwise the expanding gases make it a bomb. And buy a QUALITY lipo sack such as these: http://liposack.com/. The good ones work, the cheap ones do not. There's plenty of videos out there comparing them. A quality lipo sack will completely contain the fire.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:08 AM
Commerce Township, MI
Joined Aug 2001
4,254 Posts
lancer525 "What other alternatives are viable for use in electric park jet type foam planes?"

For that type of plane, really none.

I use ONLY the "A123" 2300mAh cells in my planes and chose not to design and fly planes that require a Li-Poly battery.

I'm just very, very weird in that one, and most of the replies you'll get will tell you to just go ahead and use Li-Poly batteries with care and caution.

For the type of plane you described, Li-Poly batteries are the only viable solution.
Ken Myers is online now Find More Posts by Ken Myers
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:11 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2010
1,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
Then I presume you don't travel in airplanes or drive a car.
Or use a mobile, phone, laptop or pretty much any other piece of battery powered electronics.
desertstalker is offline Find More Posts by desertstalker
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:34 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,011 Posts
Quote:
All the posts, videos, and information all over the internet about LiPo explosions and fires really make me nervous.

What other alternatives are viable for use in electric park jet type foam planes?
All your mobile devices have LiPo batteries and they have been used in laptop computers many years before that. As long as you use LiPo batteries according to manufacturer instructions they are safe.

I tried LiFePO4 batteries for a while but they were just too heavy and low voltage to give me good performance. I have been using LiPo every since they hit the market and have never had a fire or any problem like that. They definitely five the best performance. Give them a try.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:01 AM
Joined Sep 2008
103 Posts
Glow
flashburn is offline Find More Posts by flashburn
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:41 AM
Chicago 'burbs
Joined May 2006
1,683 Posts
Quote:

One alternative is for you to sit and watch others fly using lipos.
Alan Hahn is offline Find More Posts by Alan Hahn
Old Sep 22, 2012, 03:28 PM
"Comin down Fast"
South East Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2007
194 Posts
Li-poly battery packs have brought electric powered RC models to their highest performance levels. My choice is to responsibly continue flying my models with this current technology.
If your concern is mostly about your home and family safety, You can feel some relief knowing that Li-poly batteries haven't made it to the top 10 list of possible fire risks.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...HNwXLrl5cp3Zig
Helter Skelter is offline Find More Posts by Helter Skelter