HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:48 PM
United States, TN, Sevierville
Joined Mar 2011
15 Posts
Question
Electric motor mounting?

Hey, I just purchased a Maxford Eagle trainer 40. I have a e-flite 46 that I'd like to put in it. does anyone know if anyone sells a motor mount to mount it with, I'm not sure if I should mount it with the X mount or if there is another type of mount I could use. It's built for either gas or electric. Thanks
sarge566 is offline Find More Posts by sarge566
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:39 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,195 Posts
Does the model have a solid firewall? If so you could mount the motor behind the firewall in the traditional way or, by using an X mount (and with the motor suitably configured) fit it in front of the firewall. Or you may need a cantilever/firewall mount like this http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._85_36mm_.html. Or a stand-off mount. It all depends on where you need the prop to be in relation to the cowl.
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Last edited by Dr Kiwi; Sep 11, 2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:02 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge566 View Post
Hey, I just purchased a Maxford Eagle trainer 40. I have a e-flite 46 that I'd like to put in it. does anyone know if anyone sells a motor mount to mount it with, I'm not sure if I should mount it with the X mount or if there is another type of mount I could use. It's built for either gas or electric. Thanks
If that has a flat vertical firewall, the "X" mount can work. It seems in most cases that some extension is needed to get the prop line out in front where the fuel motor would have had it. And, typically, extending the mount is good for getting the CG right too. The electric motor and battery shift some weight rearward when compared to a fuel motor and gas tank so the normal drill is to get the motor on an extended mount and put the battery as far forward as is practical.

There are two basic methods that seem most used. The cage type mounts like the one seen here:

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...t--dsh-/Detail

And the tubular spacer type mountings like these:

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...iameter/Detail

The tubular type use the "X" mount or even two or three of the
"X" mounts and work well. Electric power systems run much smoother than fuel motors so vibration is not an issue.

The first type comes in a variety of sizes and qualities and the tubular types are often made from aluminum tube when you get to the larger motors and extensions.

And there have been many clever uses made of combinations of threaded rods, tubes (large and small), and even things like plywood motor boxes that served as an extension. To see some of those you can browse the thread titles in the Glow to Electric Conversions forum for similar sizes and type of planes you'll see a lot of good ideas for mountings. Look at threads with mentions of your motor also. I just did a quick search of that forum for "maxford trainer" and "maxford 40" and didn't spot a thread for it.

If you ask the question over there you'll get a lot of suggestions from folks that have either done it, seen it done, or done something very similar.

I did a SIG Rascal 40 conversion a couple of years ago and used little heavier than it needed to be motor (10 oz.) and bolted it directly to the firewall without any extensions because I was able to get the battery right up against the back of the firewall. The motor and battery (an A123 5S 2300 mAh pack) combined to give me a good CG.

So if you start a thread for it and document it as you work out the details, you can leave a legacy to help the next person if yours is the first conversion on that plane on rcgroups.

Good luck with it!

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
RCG Plus Member