HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:32 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
23,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfor View Post
I'm glad J still thinks its all in fun and not just our way of slowly wearing him down like with the retracts and gear doors and .....
Yeah, but I'm making a stand on this one.

J
J Morgan is online now Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:23 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jan 2006
328 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving to you too there Gramps.
skyracer068 is offline Find More Posts by skyracer068
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:29 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
23,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyracer068 View Post
Happy Thanksgiving to you too there Gramps.

Thanks Daryl

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:47 AM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,643 Posts
Such a cool project.
Looking really good!!!!

DAG
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:48 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
23,607 Posts
Thanks dag!

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:51 AM
Noob with Issues
United States, AZ, Maricopa
Joined Jul 2011
955 Posts
yeah I'm jealous! Kinda makes my foam B60 look like a child's toy!! maybe I can wrap it in cloth?? LOL
crash74 is offline Find More Posts by crash74
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:10 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
23,607 Posts
On the road home today. Back in the shop tomorrow to prep this beast for paint.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:38 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
23,607 Posts
I bought this Williams Bros pilot many years ago but he just wasn't good looking enough for me to stick him in a plane. I didn't like the helmet or the whole look. But after looking at some pics I think I can use him in the 119. I also ordered some more, at $2.65 each it's hard to go wrong. He needs some work but at this 1/12th scale he might look OK.
I'll be finishing the cockpit AFTER painting. I think that is a first for me. But the whole canopy coming off lends itself to that.
The antennas are finished. It has one going to each vertical and then a short one along the top of the fuse. It seems that each different gunship I look at had different antenna arrays. They all retract into the fuse for transport.
Next I have to work on the wing saddle and then it's ready to be sanded down for paint.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:17 PM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
3,866 Posts
Still watching can't wait to see your paint and finishing touches

Bruce
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:48 AM
Crash proof pilot
Svizzera, TI, Bellinzona
Joined Oct 2005
374 Posts
Hi John !

i don't know if someone else has already asked, but this is my question :

Which glue you use for the little items around the fuselage like the antennas or exhausts ? looking at the pictures it looks like there is no glue, is that cyano ? or canopy glue ?

In my past experience, i was not able to glue something without lefting a big glob of glue around the items eheheh

Dave
FlyDave is offline Find More Posts by FlyDave
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:01 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
23,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyDave View Post
Hi John !

i don't know if someone else has already asked, but this is my question :

Which glue you use for the little items around the fuselage like the antennas or exhausts ? looking at the pictures it looks like there is no glue, is that cyano ? or canopy glue ?

In my past experience, i was not able to glue something without lefting a big glob of glue around the items eheheh

Dave

Dave,
Actually that is epoxy glue used sparingly. I always make sure I sand the primer off and then glue. The antennas are glued through the fuse into balsa blocks that are glue inside the fuse.

J
Thanks Bruce
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:17 AM
Canada, BC, Vernon
Joined Jan 2007
78 Posts
Hi John,

I haven't chimed in here for a while but have remained a faithful member of "Morgan's Minions" ( ) throughout this build, voyeuristicly lurking in the background and checking out your progress on pretty much a daily basis.

I thought I would pass on a little story as I was in Vegas about a week or so after the Ace in the Hole event and decided to go check out the flying field where it took place. While there I got to chatting with some of the local flyers and mentioned a build tread on RC Groups I was following and that I wished I had been there a week earlier to see some of the builders stuff. "Would that have been JMorgan and his AC-119? Because it was amazing!" They proceeded to give me a run down of how good your work looks in person and went on and on about the 119, Skyraider and your other planes! I really must get to one of these events and see for myself!

Looking fantastic as always, John!

Rob
rmcdicken is offline Find More Posts by rmcdicken
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:10 PM
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Jul 2004
251 Posts
Hey J to make the helmets look a little more like the ones used in SEA just use the bust for a male mold and pull a visor cover from that. Draw the cover and cut it then glue it. ... Don

As they say when unassing an airplane " Last One Out Turn The Lights Off "
Low Show is offline Find More Posts by Low Show
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:59 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
23,607 Posts
Wow, thanks Rob. I feel my head swelling right now. Seriously, its great when I hear that kind of reaction to something I absolutely love to do. Thanks for relaying the story. We certainly have a great time at Vegas and always look forward to going back.

Don,
Yep, it will require some work for them to look good but at least they give you a decent start. When in the hell are you going to get some work done on that Ziroli A-1? I'm waiting. Would like to see it at SEFF next to my "little" one.

Had plans to use 1/64" Chartpak tape to create panel lines. That would equate to a 3/16" panel line at 1/12th scale. Still too big for scale but they don't make anything smaller. The plan was to use the tape, paint, and then peel it off to expose the gray underneath. Works alright with Krylon test samples on paper but unfortunately doesn't work well with acrylics over the primer surface. It tends to tear the paint and leave a ragged edge. So with the jet engines I just went with the tape and left it on. Gives the illusion of a panel line but is also subtle and is very thin.
Once these are completely dry I can give them a coat of Krylon Clear Satin to seal. The gunships had glassy black surfaces underneath.
Still working on the wing saddle, it won't be perfect, just presentable. It's really hard to work on it being so big and the fact that it is almost impossible to work on upside down.
Here's the action on the jet engines........

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:25 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,347 Posts
Alright, starting to see something other than primer gray! Beautiful as usual.
Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich