HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2003, 09:20 PM
Where's the CA?
Long Island, NY
Joined Sep 2003
727 Posts
Dandy Sport Setup

Looking at the Dandy Sport as an Aileron trainer. Might buy just the kit/CA/SoLite first, then buy the electronics later, but either way, here's my shopping cart from Mountain...

-Dandy Sport Kit
-350C-C Motor
-Berg*4dsp
-(3)Pico BB servos
-2 rolls of SoLite (Undecided on colors yet. Need some scheme ideas! )
-6 extra 10x8 Props
-1 Thick CA, 2 Thin

Total: $235+S/H

Look good? Will be using Etec 1200 2s1p batteries and a Pixie 20P ESC.
Mindblade is offline Find More Posts by Mindblade
Last edited by Mindblade; Nov 09, 2003 at 08:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2003, 09:25 PM
wild in the park?
McDonough, GA
Joined Mar 2003
1,614 Posts
Perfect!
same as mine.
Only yellow and blue solite...
An excellent aileron trainer.

Bil

edit: one roll of blue and silver Solite is more than enough.
Unless like me, you have a tendancy to rip the stuff right down the middle when you are doing the wing

edit 2: one bottle of thin CA was all I needed for mine.
wherndon is offline Find More Posts by wherndon
Last edited by wherndon; Nov 06, 2003 at 09:33 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2003, 10:08 PM
Silent Flight
Tucson, AZ USA
Joined Oct 2002
3,946 Posts
Hit send!

Run a search on "Switchback" or "Switchback Sport" for a bunch of different color schemes.

I needed ~ 1 1/4 rolls of my primary color to finish the Dandy Sport. It was my first attempt at covering.

You might ask Doug for the heavier LG (3/32") when you order. Don't forget an Astro 010 to put on the nose, as well.

daveWCO
daveWCO is offline Find More Posts by daveWCO
Old Nov 06, 2003, 10:50 PM
Hooked On Flying!!!
South Lake Tahoe, CA.
Joined May 2003
1,691 Posts
Suggestions

You should consider going with the EPS350 which is the same price. It will still have the low end performance of the 300 but will be more high performance when you a ready for it. I am using the C gearing and either 9x7 or 10x47 prop. I have the D gearing in my Switchback Sport with 10x8 prop. Both setups work well for me. I also have the GT wing for my Dandy as well. I also use the etec 1200 2s2p packs for flight times around 30 minutes. They have really come down in price and you could also consider the kokam 1500 2s2p packs as well. You will love the plane and it was my aileron trainer and now with the GT wing it really rocks.
HAPPY FLYING!!!
tahoecrest is offline Find More Posts by tahoecrest
Old Nov 06, 2003, 11:03 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
re-think blue and silver

The wing is silver on top, blue on bottom. I had it up today for a while and it was very overcast, gets hard to see!! Red and black are always nice colors!! Great plane though!
BrunswickOH is offline Find More Posts by BrunswickOH
Old Nov 06, 2003, 11:06 PM
It's the last plane honey
Granite Bay, CA USA
Joined Jul 2003
2,133 Posts
Mindblade,

Great choice for an airleron trainer! I concur with Tahoecrest, you'll appreciate the added power of the 350; same form factor as the 300, but hotter wind.

I use the ThunderPower 2100 2s2p in my DS; on windy days, I'll use an Etech 1200 2s2p, the extra weight adds stability.

I hardly used any thick CA on the DS. The ratio was approximately 90/10, Thin/Thick. One bottle of thick should suffice.

Andy
SlowRider is offline Find More Posts by SlowRider
Old Nov 06, 2003, 11:09 PM
St. Peters, MO
Joined Sep 2003
76 Posts
I agree with Tahoecrest.

I am considering an EPS-350D with 9.6 v nimh battery and trying different props: a 1047 for high power short flights, and a maybe a 950 for longer less powerful flights.

I think the 1047 might put me into a 10 amp esc, though.

I just maidened my DS with a EPS-300C-B, 7.2v nicad, and a 1047 prop. Parts were from my Funny Park. It flew great but it was a bit windy so I brought it in. Can't wait for the weekend!
uncas is offline Find More Posts by uncas
Old Nov 06, 2003, 11:09 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
Yes, one tiny little smallest they have bottle of thick. and get two bottles of thin so you have some on hand for repairs
Old Nov 07, 2003, 05:55 AM
Where's the CA?
Long Island, NY
Joined Sep 2003
727 Posts
I was starting to think I might lose sight of it in overcast, thanks for the tip.

And thanks to everyone else for the advice. Original post edited. I love this forum!

Which prop should I go with for the 350, still the 10x8? Also, is the Berg*5 good or should I go for the 4?
Mindblade is offline Find More Posts by Mindblade
Last edited by Mindblade; Nov 07, 2003 at 06:01 AM.
Old Nov 07, 2003, 07:31 AM
JustGoFly
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2003
699 Posts
I'm in the same boat - uhh plane - trying to restrain myself from getting on Mountain Models and placing the order for a Dandy, until I finish configuring it. This thread is great - especially for newbies like me. I'm learning to fly (if you can call it that) on TM - thanks again to all the great info posted here.

Dumb newbie question, (who mostly uses only Epoxy) - when and where would I use thick CA over thin CA? One post here mentioned 90/10 thin to thick.

Also I was planning Red/Silver - your post makes sense BrunswickOH - thanks, now I'm going with Red/Black.

Any other configs I should look at ? So far based upon this thread I am considering :

EPS 350C Motor
Berg5*dsp
(3)Pico BB servos
2 rolls of SoLite (Red and Black)
6 extra 10x47 Props
6 extra 9x7 Props
1 Thick CA,
1 Thin CA

A buddy of mine has been putting together some lipoly batteries, which give my moth 40 mins fly time - so I'll stick with those for the Dandy.
Should I go with the Pixie 20p ESC ?

Lastly - I need to challenge whether Dandy is the right plane for me. I ain't a builder - I like to fly, repair, fly. Would the E-Starter be a better plane for me ? I would build the Dandy, but it would take me alot longer than most, since I'll be working with my kids and am a software guy, not hardware . Luis's (Dulcelife) thread will help me alot though (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=dandy).

Vinnie
Vindicator! is offline Find More Posts by Vindicator!
Old Nov 07, 2003, 07:36 AM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
The Dandy is a VERY easy build, if you take your time it is lots of fun. Covering is not very hard at all, you just need a covering iron and heat gun (less then $30 for both) And in my experience after you're done you will get a lot of satisfaction out of the balsa build. You'll be amazed at the strength and ease of repair. The instructions clearly show where to use thin and where to use thick CA
Old Nov 07, 2003, 09:11 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,202 Posts
I have the Dandy, also with sport wing, Swithback sport, also with g/t wing, and to me they both work much better with the 10X8. I do however only use the 300c C motor. If you don't time it, you will get reasonable life out of it. If you time it and go to an 8 cell 800 or better pack, the motor really becomes a great performer but burn out much faster. I have not run lipo, but have run 8 cell 720 nimh in the Dandy and it does well.

Peace,
LcJ

Just a personal preference but I prefer my Switchback.
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Own your own - What it means
Old Nov 07, 2003, 09:58 AM
Hooked On Flying!!!
South Lake Tahoe, CA.
Joined May 2003
1,691 Posts
If you use lipolys then the pixie 20 would work great as you can set the cut-off voltage so it won't run the batteries to low and possibly damage them. It will also give you an esc that you can use with larger motors in the future. Six of each prop seems exessive. I have gone through 3 I think in a couple of months and those were when I was first training with the plane. I have had the same props for about a month now. I also am at high alltitude so I ussually up a prop size to compensate for thin air. You can experiment with props to find which works best for you. The 9x7,10x47 and 10x8 would probably be your best options with the C gearing. The plane was my first balsa build and was easy and a good building starter as well as a sweet flyer. I did not have a good experience with the e-starter. It was to frail for a trainer and didnt like the overall performance. I wish I had started with the Dandy Sport instead. The plane can also be modified with more high performance wing as your skills improve.
HAPPY FLYING!!!
Old Nov 07, 2003, 10:15 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,202 Posts
Forgot something. If you go brushed, be sure to buy one complete extra motor and gearbox set and then at least one extra motor with pinion besides that. I have had two in a row go bad very quickly, but never three in a row. It will not add much to the cost, but it is frustrating not to be able to fly. Also, decide on the connectors your are going to use and order them. Deans Ultra seem to be the standard. I use them.

Peace,
LcJ
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Own your own - What it means
Old Nov 07, 2003, 10:54 AM
Hooked On Flying!!!
South Lake Tahoe, CA.
Joined May 2003
1,691 Posts
"DITTO"